The article has some good valid points but with the current (and ongoing) political correctness wave sweeping the US this is a non-issue that's slowly becoming an issue.

Any word that is used in a derogatory manner can slowly become a slur especially if its used nonchalantly. I see it the same as saying granny instead of grandma with no puns or malice added to it. I can also compare it to some people adding "ish" or "ily or ly" to a word.

But using it in a context, I think it should always be addressed as Transgender/Transexuals and never 'Tranny'. Political correctness has its ups and downs throughout the years back stateside but I think, IMHO, shit's just getting out of hand.

In my home state Cali-Friggin-Fornia, if you say the wrong things then you get sued (easy quick buck) or if you're in the wrong neighborhood then you get beat-up or shot.

Good topic folks and stay classy all.

I hate to become political and all but I consider it a wave of political correctness because of this Presidential Election Circus. That's why I said before that shit is getting out of hand. A little information, thank you internet, does goes a long way but still people remain ignorant because they would rather be herded into a side than make up their own mind.

Again, IMO life should always be taken with a grain of salt. It can either add some taste to it or it can burn.

As for the Ghostbusters reboot, I love the original and don't care much about the new one. The CGI were great and the cast were hilarious. It should end there.

People sometimes get offended because of misinformation and ignorance. I can cite other examples but we're going to go off-track :ROFLMAO:

In this thread, @Curacao linked this article regarding the word "tranny" and whether it should be used casually or even at all.

A lot of it can also apply to other slurs and I'd be curious to see where TAG stands on this issue and why. Not trying to say anyone is right or wrong here, just looking for opinions.
I've never used that word and I never thought of it as an insult unless it's used for any one else than a transsexual. using it for a women would be like doubting her femininity and the opposite goes for a man.
but for a trans it sounds like calling a grandmother a granny.

but what made me answer to this thread is my amazement about how people are becoming sensitive how we're getting to be more and more cautious about the words we use.

I've never used that word and I never thought of it as an insult unless it's used for any one else than a transsexual. using it for a women would be like doubting her femininity and the opposite goes for a man.
but for a trans it sounds like calling a grandmother a granny.

but what made me answer to this thread is my amazement about how people are becoming sensitive how we're getting to be more and more cautious about the words we use.

@e-smile Ditto! lol

As the article points out, there's certain words that are used with pride or affection for the 'in-group' but are considered negative in the 'out-group'. This isn't just the case for racial or sexual minorities, although those are much more common than just the ones in the article. Up until the TV show at least, Asian people that had immigrated into the US gave each other crap about their relative assimilation by calling people that still did things the 'old way' as 'Fresh off the boat', but if a white person called an Asian person that, it would probably be considered rude. Heck, 'nerds' and 'geeks' are proud of who they are, but other people calling them that isn't taken too well.

In terms of "political correctness", I'd say having respect for other people, including how they prefer to be called, isn't censorship or political correctness. There IS quite a bit of craziness right now on US college campuses where many students are demanding to be essentially protected from worldviews they consider to be dangerous, instead of having their viewpoints challenged and requiring them to think critically, which is what a liberal arts education is all about.

This isn't directly related but came to mind when reading the Salon article- Grantland did a piece a while back that started as an article on a particular golf club and its inventor, and ended up exposing the inventor as transgender, more or less leading to the inventor's suicide. I thought of it because a response article they published has a link to GLAAD's media reference guide on transgender terminology. I recommend reading the original piece, the response article and the reference guide.

There's some truth to both views:
  • Political correctness has gone to silly extremes
  • People are now more sensitive about language
It's party generational and partly due to media sensationalism. People who scream the loudest on either side get attention because outrage sells ads.

Over the years I've seen "correct language" for some groups change many times. What was once polite is now a slur. Heck I've seen the words for my own in group change at least four times.

The term 'tranny' refers to transvestites. Some are transgendered, some heterosexual, some homosexual, some bisexual like myself. Some may even be asexual.

There's some truth to both views:
  • People are now more sensitive about language
It's party generational and partly due to media sensationalism. People who scream the loudest on either side get attention because outrage sells ads.

I don't think people are more sensitive about language. I think people are just as sensitive but they have social networking to make their feelings known. Yes, this leads to unruly mobs on both sides -- the people that ruin other peopls's lives for making a misunderstood joke and also the people that are supposedly anti-PC that chased Leslie Jones off Twitter because they hated that Ghostbusters was being remade starring women.

Over the years I've seen "correct language" for some groups change many times. What was once polite is now a slur. Heck I've seen the words for my own in group change at least four times.

I don't see that as a problem. For people that are at least somewhat involved in the world and somewhat sensitive to other people, they'll either know the right words to use or they know enough to ask.

southpark.jpg
This just reminds me of One Southpark episode..

It's all about common usage and definition according to the currently accepted meaning. For example, being Asian, I was surprised to discover that "oriental" became a dated and non-correct term. Of all the people whom I've been referred as such, I have only been able to gauge it by their tone or context of the conversation. Same goes for being a geek/nerd. Most people I find are well meaning folk, some just might not be in the loop.

Reactions: TheScientist
they'll either know the right words to use or they know enough to ask.

If you don't feel comfortable using a term in front of the person you believe the term describes... It's probably a slur.

It's all about common usage and definition according to the currently accepted meaning

As above, terms change and sometimes often. Or worse some ingroup tries to demand their particular terms above some other same ingroup.

When I grew up oriental was ok and James Brown declared himself black and proud. Now you get fifth generation Chinese Americans deciding what aspects of Japanese culture are acceptable in the present and what artistic history should be erased.

Tranny was a slur then some took it back then a slur. Same for any variation of trans.