Yes, my ex experienced a lot of anger when on the pill and got significantly better when she stopped both by observation and by her own reflection. I've also met a few other women who reported similar side effects of this particular type of birth control pill (progesterone and estrogen). However, she had amazing skin when on it, and it got worse when it was discontinued. I didn't mind it as much as she did however. XD

The whole premise of the study however, seems kind of shaky. From the whole MHC selection (did they phenotype their entire study group? How would they blind it etc?) I guess the tipping thing makes sense if women on birth control become super irritable. However that wouldn't be the first metric to come to mind for use in a study.

Edit: Just took a quick peek at the link, I'm really not too keen on anything published on psychology today. One reason being the lack of citations to follow up on for verification. For fun and giggles, it's great sometimes. Interesting discussion topic nonetheless and definitely applicable here.

Last edited:
Reactions: User#6541
Other studies have shown that men rate women as smelling best when they are at the most fertile point of their menstrual cycles, suggesting that women give off scent-based signals that broadcast their level of fecundity.

Other studies suggest it is right before ovulation. For @zer0ed, it's a little more credible than Psychology Today.

But I have not had any experience with relationship changes regarding the pill. Much of it was dealing with physiological changes that were happening to my girlfriend at the time and being as supportive as I could about it. As with any medication, there are going to be side effects and once we figured out what those were, we moved beyond them. Granted that relationship didn't last, but that was for other reasons.

Have you ever had a relationship change due to the woman starting or stopping the pill?

In my limited history. ( ;) ) It hasn't really been a factor. The last woman that I was with wasn't on the pill and it did feel a bit more 'primal' -- things were pretty intense. The last woman that I know of that was on the pill, didn't have that kind of passion. Don't know if it's related... but with the on the pill, it just seemed a little dull.