3rd trip to Japan,is it really third time the charm?

Out of action

TAG Member
Reaction score
Hello there everyone,

Back in Japan being my third time to Japan(last time was....,2015,when I had so many places on my to do list to visit. This third time,I figured,since I'm in the SEA area,why not also check out a few other countries as well,so I also have on my list,South Korea,Thailand and Taipei and then back to Japan for 1 1/2 weeks before plane to home.

Never been to South Korea or Taipei but have been to Thailand for 3 weeks in the hot August of 2003 when I was far less prepared in every way compared to now.

Anyone care to share their experiences on those couple of places?

Reactions: Simonka
I can speak a bit of SK in general since I was there fairly recently. Seoul’s train and bus system is about as reliable as Tokyo’s. Generally everything is in English although having a data plan on your phone is good to keep you from getting lost. There’s always a lot you miss by not speaking the language. If you want a DMZ tour that includes the Panmunjom area you’ll want to reserve that NOW if it’s even available. It sells out fast. Can probably speak a bit about the hobby too but I’ll likely break that out into a different thread somewhere.

That's a relief to hear,hopefully I won't get lost a few times on my trip to SK like I did as on my first and 2nd times to Japan,mainly because I didn't bother to rent a mobile wifi or sim card in order to access online mapping and inept planning on my part,I made sure to have it available from the beginning. Wasting time getting lost while carrying around 2 cases of luggage and getting exhausted and sweaty,only to end up wasting about 10-15k yen to spend the night and an totally unplanned and very not intentional hotel stay for 1 night,since it was around almost 2AM for me somewhere in Osaka,lol. I never even considered using coin lockers then,winter time,December!
3rd time,meticulously checked and double checked to make sure no time conflicts and was covered in not being without mobile wifi. I don't speak one lick of SK,not even a simple hello so I also made sure to download some SK-English dictionaries and will try to avoid using Google's translation apps which are horrible to where any language teacher can spot the difference from a glance. No plans to do the DMZ tour,since I've gave myself 3 nights to enjoy SK in the Seoul area. Just going there for tourist reasons,so its fine to skim on talking about SK hobbying,lol. Besides,that's what I have Japan and Thailand for! :D

When you get to Seoul, you may change your mind and want some local delicacies.. Not sure the best way to go since backpages are gone, that was my go to in Seoul and I had a good experience 4 out of 5... Itewon is a part of Seoul that's supposed to have some interesting places, but never been there myself. Make sure you check out some Chicken and Beer place after you been out drinking... :D Have fun and enjoy your travels !!!!

Reactions: AliceInWonderland
When you get to Seoul, you may change your mind and want some local delicacies.. Not sure the best way to go since backpages are gone, that was my go to in Seoul and I had a good experience 4 out of 5... Itewon is a part of Seoul that's supposed to have some interesting places, but never been there myself. Make sure you check out some Chicken and Beer place after you been out drinking... :D Have fun and enjoy your travels !!!!

The red light districts (Itaewon, etc) are interesting - I tried one of them out, but most (aside from Itaewon) aren't really friendly to folks who speak no Korean, in that the hot girls will have nothing to do with you. Compared to, say, Tobita where I got a nearly 100% call rate when I was there recently, it was a little disappointing. Prices and services in the Korean RLDs are negotiable from what I've read, but generally it's a wham bam thank you maam situation. I'd much rather have GFE service. There's a few outcall orgs and I contacted several. The girls are very pretty (in one case astoundingly so if you like innocent-looking women), but for 300K Won for one pop it's a TOUCH expensive for outcall.

On the chicken and beer front, either go out with your friends or expect a shitload of chicken. I ordered what I thought was a small basket of fried chicken and fries, and they gave me an entire fried chicken in pieces plus a mess of fries. Delicious but damn that was a lot of food.

The H**ker Hill section of Itaewon is worth visiting while in Seoul.

When you get toI Seoul, you may change your mind and want some local delicacies.. Not sure the best way to go since backpages are gone, that was my go to in Seoul and I had a good experience 4 out of 5... Itewon is a part of Seoul that's supposed to have some interesting places, but never been there myself. Make sure you check out some Chicken and Beer place after you been out drinking... :D Have fun and enjoy your travels !!!!

Well,I think the chances of local delicacies are high,food-wise but not being able to tolerate spicy food much,will be skipping a lot of "need to try it while I'm here",especially since the most heat I can take would be Popeye's chicken/mashed potatoes/spicy beef jerky level........SK-wise women delicacies........way out of my budget,only planned about $200 for 3 days..........food and visiting local spots,lol.