Guest viewing is limited

A Non-pua Way To Meeting Women

Chocoballs

TAG Member
Reaction score
This was Ww's reply to my question in another thread
http://tokyoadultguide.com/threads/dating-japanese-women-problems.10281/page-4
Since I felt it was a bit off-topic I thought it could use its own thread.

My question (emphasis added by Ww):

Suppose there is a shy nerdy guy who speaks too fast and only talks about his manga collection but he wants to meet the beautiful ladies that he sees on the street. If he is told just to be himself then he will never approach any girl in his life. Is he supposed to wait until the day that he meets a girl that likes him? That day may never come and it may be not the girl he likes. What would you advise him to do?

Ww's reply:

My first comment is that women are not like items on the menu at a restaurant to be chosen according to a guy's taste/preference/whim when he is feeling hungry. Nor are they like customers in a store to whom the guy needs to sell/market a particular product (i.e., himself). That is not their role in life or relationships, and while it is extremely common for men to regard them via one or both of those analogies, it is fundamentally misguided and sets you off in a bad direction imo. Even the term "pick-up" reflects this sort of inappropriate and often ineffective mindset imo; it carries the implication that they are "things"/objects subject to preference, selection, acquisition and use. I have no knowledge of your personal circumstances @Chocoballs , but lots of men who have difficulty relating to women have no such problems establishing and maintaining strong and close male friendships. Why is that? Imo it is because such men do not regard their male friends in that same sort of objectified way. Going out to pick-up new male friends by approaching strangers on the street or in clubs etc would never enter their minds for a moment.

So, with this first comment, my first advice is to do your best to stop thinking of women as though they were the latest piece of consumer electronics or whatever that you yearn to acquire and to forget about selling/marketing yourself to them as though you were such a product yourself

My second comment is that, in my experience, women are much better seen/understood as events or experiences in one's life. They are something that happens to you. And, very importantly, you are the same in their lives. When things go well, the two of you are (*equal*) partners in creating and sharing the event/experience. When they go very well, the two of you create and share a major part of each other's lives. And I would say the very same thing about close/important male friends or family members (like one's children or parents). Nor does it change anything fundamental whether such major relationships involve sex or are purely platonic friendships.

The advice that goes with this comment is that you should not mentally put women and your connections to them (or lack thereof) into some special category, separate from other parts of your life. They are (often, but not always, really really wonderful) integral components of life as a whole.

Let me try to make the previous paragraph a bit more specific to your particular question or situation by asking whether you see the speed at which you talk or your rather single-minded obsession with collecting manga as major problems for your life in general? Do they keep you from having friends, getting along with your family, pursuing education or a career, being happy etc? If so...if they are major problems in your life in general, then you should address those problems in some way. However, if you see them as difficulties mostly or only because you perceive them as obstacles to getting the women you have selected off the street into bed or a relationship with you, then I think you should read the previous two paragraphs again and think carefully about what they say for you and your situation.

My third and final bit of advise is that if you find a PUA/gaming (or other) technique that brings one or more of the sort of women you want to meet into a relationship with you despite the fact that she/they do not want to be with the sort of man who loves such things as manga collections and who is verbally quick, then you should be prepared for the "intense sorrow", both experiencing it yourself and inflicting it on her, which @DJV described in an earlier post. Nothing is certain when dealing with people and even more-so with relationships between them, so it may all turn out fine for you and her, but I wouldn't bet on it...

My interpretation:
- Don't treat women as sex objects.
- Do not use any method or technique to meet women.
- Only date women who have an interest in you.
- Fix major problems in your life but not for PUA reasons.

Last edited:
This was Ww's reply to my question in another thread
http://tokyoadultguide.com/threads/dating-japanese-women-problems.10281/page-4
Since I felt it was a bit off-topic I thought it could use its own thread.

Thanks for moving the topic to its own thread.

My interpretation:
- Don't treat women as sex objects.
- Do not use any method or technique to meet women.
- Only date women who have an interest in you.
- Fix major problems in your life but not for PUA reasons.

Pretty much right on target, given the necessary simplifications and suppression of nuance to make my verbosity concise. I'd suggest small mods to your summary:
- In the first bullet, I'd drop the word "sex".
- In the second bullet, I'd add the words "fixed or consciously designed" following the word "any".
- I would make no changes to the third or fourth bullets.
- I would add a fifth bullet saying to meet women without preconceptions or expectations to the extent possible.

-Ww

Reactions: scorpioni6ths
First I don't see how it is bad to want to meet the women I see on the street, in the supermarket, etc. It feels like denying my desires. I don't want to question the morality of P4P but women are literally on a menu. Is it wrong to want to meet women just for sex?

If I have trouble meeting women, then how can I improve without doing it consciously? If a buddy of mine tells me to give girls more compliments, does it then become PUA?

So for me it is still not clear how to meet women if I'm not good at it.

Reactions: Solong and Sinapse
If I have trouble meeting women, then how can I improve without doing it consciously? If a buddy of mine tells me to give girls more compliments, does it then become PUA?

I don't think you have to be a PUA in order to consciously evaluate how you are doing with women. Some guys need specific steps or theories or feedback from other guys to evaluate themselves and some can just say to themselves "well, talking about TCP/IP for 20 minutes was probably a mistake".

Reactions: Wwanderer and Sudsy
I think everyone should be allowed to talk to someone who catches their attention but don't be pushy and dont use weird tricks.
Its kinda weird to suggest sex to someone you meet in the supermarket or something, there are more suited places for that, both p4p and non p4p wise.

I have been picked up in department stores or on the street but usually we just went to a restaurant or karaoke. These were usually young boys interested in multiple dates and especially in talking to a foreign girl, they were into more than sex.

I think if someone wants a loose one night stand the street is not the best place to look for it but whatever.

Just be clear about your intentions and leave someone alone if they refuse.

I think everyone should be allowed to talk to someone who catches their attention but don't be pushy and dont use weird tricks.
Its kinda weird to suggest sex to someone you meet in the supermarket or something, there are more suited places for that, both p4p and non p4p wise.

I have been picked up in department stores or on the street but usually we just went to a restaurant or karaoke. These were usually young boys interested in multiple dates and especially in talking to a foreign girl, they were into more than sex.

I think if someone wants a loose one night stand the street is not the best place to look for it but whatever.

Just be clear about your intentions and leave someone alone if they refuse.
Understand where you are coming from, but there is 2 sides or many sides about this. Because a person talks to you on the street, doesn't mean they are a PUA. Can simply be a guy interested in you, and has NO PUA skills or training whatsoever.

It seems a lot of times, a woman's view on the approach, depends if she likes the guy or finds him attractive. This is part of a famous joke dealing with sexual harassment in the workplace. It's only "sexual harassment" if he's ugly or you don't like him.

To include women complaining about guys trying to pick them up, as a kind of status within female groups. "I'm attractive, that's why guys keep trying to talk to me. I'm so high level, that's why I keep turning them down or only take the best." It's similar to guys bragging to the group about how he turned down or won't talk to X woman, because she wasn't good enough.

In that context, it's arguably "pushy and weird", if it's a guy you don't like. Not saying there aren't guys that are absolutely terrible or insulting, but even very mild attempts can be looked at with contempt by some women. I've also seen women, if attracted to the guy, actually guide the guy on how she wants to be talked to and actually be more proactive or take more agency in moving the pickup along to success. As in, she wants to have sex too.

Consequently, guys can't tell which type of women they are going to encounter beforehand. They have to try and see. And many women have no ideal how arrogant or mean other women are to guys.

Lastly, one of the reasons why guys may choose pickup are too many women make themselves inaccessible. Like mice or rabbits hiding inside of holes. Work/school, home, sleep... Guys have to proactively go after them, where they can find women.

Reactions: Sinapse
I don't think you have to be a PUA in order to consciously evaluate how you are doing with women. Some guys need specific steps or theories or feedback from other guys to evaluate themselves and some can just say to themselves "well, talking about TCP/IP for 20 minutes was probably a mistake".

This is a pretty obvious example.. But even then it sounds like @Wwanderer would (correct me if I'm wrong) suggest you continue talking about TCP/IP because it's "who you are"

I would also add that NEVER talking to women in public is as much of a "technique" as actually talking to them. In other words if you value spontaneity and uniqueness, and want to be more free and driven by your true self, you necessarily would be talking to attractive women wherever they may be.

Reactions: AliceInWonderland
Understand where you are coming from, but there is 2 sides or many sides about this. Because a person talks to you on the street, doesn't mean they are a PUA. Can simply be a guy interested in you, and has NO PUA skills or training whatsoever.

It seems a lot of times, a woman's view on the approach, depends if she likes the guy or finds him attractive. This is part of a famous joke dealing with sexual harassment in the workplace. It's only "sexual harassment" if he's ugly or you don't like him.

To include women complaining about guys trying to pick them up, as a kind of status within female groups. "I'm attractive, that's why guys keep trying to talk to me. I'm so high level, that's why I keep turning them down or only take the best." It's similar to guys bragging to the group about how he turned down or won't talk to X woman, because she wasn't good enough.

In that context, it's arguably "pushy and weird", if it's a guy you don't like. Not saying there aren't guys that are absolutely terrible or insulting, but even very mild attempts can be looked at with contempt by some women. I've also seen women, if attracted to the guy, actually guide the guy on how she wants to be talked to and actually be more proactive or take more agency in moving the pickup along to success. As in, she wants to have sex too.

Consequently, guys can't tell which type of women they are going to encounter beforehand. They have to try and see. And many women have no ideal how arrogant or mean other women are to guys.

Lastly, one of the reasons why guys may choose pickup are too many women make themselves inaccessible. Like mice or rabbits hiding inside of holes. Work/school, home, sleep... Guys have to proactively go after them, where they can find women.
Doesn't it make perfect sense to only have sex with people who are attractive to you.
Like, for work i'm flexible but private i only want my type of guy.
Everyone has a different type that they like so you could always try if you are someone's type but no is no.

As for sexual harrassment, yes if they would like each other it could turn in a passionate office romance instead where both people sneaky start to make out.
But just because someone is considered good looking doesn't mean everyone would like to be grobed by them or listen to their sexual hinting jokes. Some people are in a commited relationship or don't want sex with a co worker or whatever other reason.

As for sexual harrassment, yes if they would like each other it could turn in a passionate office romance instead where both people sneaky start to make out.
But just because someone is considered good looking doesn't mean everyone would like to be grobed by them or listen to their sexual hinting jokes. Some people are in a commited relationship or don't want sex with a co worker or whatever other reason.

Guys can't read minds. Too often, various women act as if guys are suppose to just know things or read her, when they can't. Often, they have to ask, and try to be tactful about it. They usually won't know if the woman is or isn't attracted to him or will know if she's in a relationship, unless they make some type of approach and have a conversation with her.

And there is the dilemma. If he does nothing, and she does nothing (as women are more likely to do), then he will never know. If he approaches and starts a conversation, which can be seen as an attempt at pickup/asking her out, she can view it as unwanted or with contempt. And possibly, his attempt/approach, could be welcomed. Often, the man has to make the approach, and then see what will happen.

Guys can't read minds. Too often, various women act as if guys are suppose to just know things or read her, when they can't. Often, they have to ask, and try to be tactful about it. They usually won't know if the woman is or isn't attracted to him or will know if she's in a relationship, unless they make some type of approach and have a conversation with her.

And there is the dilemma. If he does nothing, and she does nothing (as women are more likely to do), then he will never know. If he approaches and starts a conversation, which can be seen as an attempt at pickup/asking her out, she can view it as unwanted or with contempt. And possibly, his attempt/approach, could be welcomed. Often, the man has to make the approach, and then see what will happen.
I have no problem at being approached and i think people who have a problem with it miss out on some interesting possibilities.

But the way of approach is also important. I can feel pretty bad if someone is pushy and doesn't leave me alone after rejection (which happens a lot. If someone clearly says no, why do they keep trying?) or if someone on the street grabs my arm or something like that.

Reactions: Solong
First I don't see how it is bad to want to meet the women I see on the street, in the supermarket, etc. It feels like denying my desires.

I don't think it is wrong or bad; almost all hetro me do it. But you have indicated that you have trouble meeting women. In that context is wanting to meet women you see on the street doing you any good? Apparently not, but correct me if I am wrong.

You asked me for advise (or at least that was my interpretation, but correct me if I am wrong), and I gave you my best shot. Perhaps it will be useless for you, but it is what I have to offer. To reiterate, basically I said that if you can change your basic concepts of relationships and the way you think of women, then you will stop seeing women on the street and in supermarkets as though they were books on the shelf at the library for you to "pick up" (see what I did there?), peruse and read or not according to just your taste and inclinations of the moment. That doesn't mean that you won't still notice and appreciate/admire beautiful women you encounter in public but rather that you will stop relating to them as *things* you want and can't get.

I don't want to question the morality of P4P but women are literally on a menu. Is it wrong to want to meet women just for sex?

I see nothing at all wrong with p4p or meeting women just for sex as long as it is something you are doing ***with*** and not ***to*** the women in question, using those key words to make the distinction I tried to explain rather unsuccessfully in the dating problems thread from which this one was born. Sex workers (assuming no coercion) put themselves on the menu, so to speak, and so are doing it ***with*** you. Women in a happening bar (and in various other situations) may well want to meet just for sex and thus are involved in the process ***with*** you. Not so women on the street and in random public places. Do you see the difference?

So for me it is still not clear how to meet women if I'm not good at it.

I have nothing to offer except to repeat what I have said before. Maybe you can learn to meet women just for sex or for deeper purposes just by paying them more compliments, by timing the intervals between your verbal responses to things they say, by learning certain specific techniques for touching them casually (kino) and so forth. It doesn't sound like much fun or very interesting to me or even likely to be very successful, but sure, give it a try if it sounds better to you.

But if you want my advice, it is different...and to repeat once more, it is that changing your attitude toward women and your conception of relationships with them, you will make it unnecessary to be so deliberate, conscious and artificial. In its defense I can report that despite the fact that there is virtually nothing about me that would cause most people, men and women, to think that I'd be successful with women, I have been for essentially my whole adult life, wildly so in fact...far more than I can understand or think I merit/deserve in fact. Basically I am trying to explain my best understanding of why it has happened that way for me.

In addition, and this is VERY important, imo these changes of basic perspective I've described will not only make it easier to meet women but will also make it easier to have happy and successful relationships with them. So to speak, they will save you the trouble of having to take a long series of additional boot camps in how to handle financial disagreements with your partner and how to support her grief effectively when she loses a parent and how to accept her support in a way that works for both of you when you have to face a major life-challenge etc etc. As I have said before, just meeting and seducing a woman is barely dipping your toe in the water of the huge lake of serious romantic relationships. Trust me, you don't want to have to be consciously learning a whole new set of little systems and techniques to navigate each of the many strong currents you will encounter in those waters. (Out of control metaphor alert! :D )

-Ww

Reactions: AliceInWonderland
In that context is wanting to meet women you see on the street doing you any good?
In case someone just wants to pick up a girl to have sex i totally agree that p4p, a happening bar or a club that is more popular for leaving with someone than for dancing the whole night are better places for pick up than the street.

But if you see someone extraordinary on the street who catches your interest, for example because they are totally your type or wear a t-shirt of your favorite band or something i think you should absolutely take a shot and try to talk to them.

I don't think it is wrong or bad; almost all hetro me do it. But you have indicated that you have trouble meeting women. In that context is wanting to meet women you see on the street doing you any good? Apparently not, but correct me if I am wrong.

You asked me for advise (or at least that was my interpretation, but correct me if I am wrong),
I wasn't particularly asking for advice myself. But I thought by using a (hypothetical) case it would make the discussion a bit easier and more concrete.

Since PUA gets a lot of criticism on this forum, I am really curious how those who don't like PUA meet women. But not only that but how to help someone who is not proficient in meeting women (that is what PUA tries to do in my opinion). That is a lot more difficult than just sharing one's own experience.

So according to you "changing your attitude toward women and your conception of relationships with them" will help someone meet more women. How do you know this is true? It is possible that some of your other characteristics are the key to "success", for example it might be that you are just very charming.

And suppose those beliefs and attitudes really help then how does someone else learn those attitudes? Maybe you were just lucky to have those attitudes because you were raised in a happy family or have the right genes.

I have no problem at being approached and i think people who have a problem with it miss out on some interesting possibilities.

But the way of approach is also important. I can feel pretty bad if someone is pushy and doesn't leave me alone after rejection (which happens a lot. If someone clearly says no, why do they keep trying?) or if someone on the street grabs my arm or something like that.

And I agree with you. Guys attempting to make approaches, should try to make it as pleasant and comfortable, as possible. That's where PUA comes in. Many guys have to learn how to do it and get the courage up to do it. A good PUA isn't pushy or annoying, for normal women, who aren't mean or arrogant. It can go very smoothly.

Many women also don't know how difficult dealing with fear and rejection can be for some guys, or how hostile and arrogant some women can be to men. Often they see the issue from only their side.

It's a game with 2 sides, and of which, some men and women are good at it, and some men and women are terrible at it. That's just the reality of life.

Last edited:
I don't think it is wrong or bad; almost all hetro (men) do it. In that context is wanting to meet women you see on the street doing you any good? Apparently not, but correct me if I am wrong.

You are coming off a bit as if a man can't improve or become better at something (like how to approach women), or can't pursue a woman that he's interested in.

If he never takes a chance, then he will be ZERO percent successful. If he takes a chance, then there is the possibility of success.

You asked me for advise (or at least that was my interpretation, but correct me if I am wrong), and I gave you my best shot. Perhaps it will be useless for you, but it is what I have to offer. To reiterate, basically I said that if you can change your basic concepts of relationships and the way you think of women, then you will stop seeing women on the street and in supermarkets as though they were books on the shelf at the library for you to "pick up"

I see nothing at all wrong with p4p...

This is blatant hypocrisy and speaks to a level of feminist confusion, that needs to be addressed.

What you are speaking to, is objectification. A word in which feminist have twisted and spread a great deal of confusion. So that, a woman can look at a man in a sexual manner, this can be called sexually liberating. But an heterosexual man looking at a woman sexually (which would be natural for a heterosexual), can be defined as oppressive, terrible, and abusive. Now if a lesbian does such to another woman, then we are back to empowering and liberating again.

A hetrosexual man is going to be attracted to women. And when looking at and selecting a woman to talk with, he's going to usually want to choose those women he's most physically attracted to. This is how physical attraction works, for men and women.

Regardless of the physical attraction that a PUA or man in general has when approaching a woman, he must interact with her. He must address and deal with her personality, and who she is, before any sex is possible. So a PUA is NOT treating the woman as a commodity, but very much understands that women have agency. She can deny his request or reject him.

Objectification, is reducing people to commodities or objects that can be bought or sold without regards to their personality or dignity. That is arguably closer to what P4P is doing, and is the beef many have with it. Though the counter point is over sex-workers wanting to sell themselves, so if you want or volunteer for it, is it really objectification?

To say a man who is physically attracted to a woman and wants to have a conversation, is objectifying women, is to arguably not understand or ignore biology and the meaning of the word.

....meeting women just for sex as long as it is something you are doing ***with*** and not ***to*** the women in question, using those key words to make the distinction I tried to explain rather unsuccessfully in the dating problems thread from which this one was born. Sex workers (assuming no coercion) put themselves on the menu, so to speak, and so are doing it ***with*** you. Women in a happening bar (and in various other situations) may well want to meet just for sex and thus are involved in the process ***with*** you. Not so women on the street and in random public places. Do you see the difference?

Here, it appears you are against men talking to women, unless the woman initiates the conversation (like a military officer or superior to men- speak not, unless spoken to?) or makes it clear to men (in writing?) that it's OK to talk to her. In a public space, there is nothing wrong with initiating friendly conversations.

A man will not know if a woman is mutually attracted to him, unless he asks or interacts with her in some way. And there is absolutely nothing wrong with initiating a conversation. Only when the other person has declined or doesn't want to talk, and the other person is persistent, that it's a problem or arguably crossing the line toward harassment.

Furthermore, you strangely appear to deny female agency in the context of Non-P4P, and only in the P4P. A woman, who is politely approached by a man, can intelligently decide for herself what she wants to do. Whatever a woman will do, she will AGREE and do WITH the man. The man can do nothing legally to her, without her consent and cooperation. So this concept and making the distinction of "to" and "with", is not anything actionable to be applied in the real world. It's an artificial distinction that you are making, and looks like a way to vilify men attempting to initiate conversations with women they are attracted to. As if, PUA is only a one-way interaction of "doing to", when that's totally not the case. It's an interaction between the man and woman.

But if you want my advice, it is different...and to repeat once more, it is that changing your attitude toward women and your conception of relationships with them, you will make it unnecessary to be so deliberate, conscious and artificial. In its defense I can report that despite the fact that there is virtually nothing about me that would cause most people, men and women, to think that I'd be successful with women, I have been for essentially my whole adult life, wildly so in fact...far more than I can understand or think I merit/deserve in fact. Basically I am trying to explain my best understanding of why it has happened that way for me.

In addition, and this is VERY important, imo these changes of basic perspective I've described will not only make it easier to meet women but will also make it easier to have happy and successful relationships with them. So to speak, they will save you the trouble of having to take a long series of additional boot camps in how to handle financial disagreements with your partner and how to support her grief effectively when she loses a parent and how to accept her support in a way that works for both of you when you have to face a major life-challenge etc etc. As I have said before, just meeting and seducing a woman is barely dipping your toe in the water of the huge lake of serious romantic relationships. Trust me, you don't want to have to be consciously learning a whole new set of little systems and techniques to navigate each of the many strong currents you will encounter in those waters. (Out of control metaphor alert! :D )

-Ww

Here, you are offering guys something vague, unactionable, and with no evidence of how it works versus tangible and specific advice from PUAs. Often when a guy hypes up something vague and unspecific that will supposedly do wonders and is too good to be true, they will get accused of fraud or deception. Not at all saying that's what you are doing, but saying most other guys wouldn't get such leeway in being vague, while putting down other systems.

The only real world actionable system that you have put forth on the website, is to use money, to buy women. If you have another system, please explain it. Before anybody gets upset, I'm all for using what you got. If that's a man's game and it works, so be it. I'm just saying, be outright about it. Don't tell me it's charm, when she sees you got a fist full of cash. Rather hear specifically on how he might be using his money and perception of availability, to have women fall for him. At least that's clear.

If it's innate "charm" and "charisma", and a guy can't quantify or define how it's working for him with women, then he isn't going to be a good coach or teacher. It's like saying I'm a great Boxer. "When I get in the ring, I win". OK, that's great for him, but not for the students. His students want to know exactly how he is able to do it, not just perpetually stand in awe of or hear, "Be natural! Be like water! Be like the wind!" Does he even understand or can intellectually break down how he wins?

Yes, having money and the possibility of her attaining a higher socioeconomic lifestyle, can bend women to you. A rich, powerful, high social status, or at least very well off man can be given the impression that he's amazingly charming. Nobody around a powerful dictator or drug lord, would dare tell him anything other than he wants to hear. The women can be very easy for him. However, what's definitely working well for him, isn't necessarily applicable or will work for others.

Last edited:
Since PUA gets a lot of criticism on this forum, I am really curious how those who don't like PUA meet women. But not only that but how to help someone who is not proficient in meeting women (that is what PUA tries to do in my opinion). That is a lot more difficult than just sharing one's own experience.

This is a very very real point.

If people are going to detract from pickup, they should be prepared to offer advice that isn't simply:

- "Do what you've been doing" (clearly that isn't working)
-wait for girls to come to you
-spend money on p4p

Which tbh seems to be most of the advice that detractors have (if they even offer solutions at all)

It's much like somebody with a serious medical condition comes in and there's a proven treatment, and everybody endlessly points out the side effects of the medicine
Well yes but what do you have to offer that will take it's its place? Please don't simply come back with "Meet women who are around you in your social life" or something like that. Presumably all guys are already doing this so it's not anything new our original. Similarly, just waiting isn't a great strategy either.

@Solong and @Sinapse - I'll try for a more detailed reply later when I have some time, but for now note the title of the thread! If my advise were simply a different set of "actionable" steps, techniques, methods, tricks or whatever you want to call them, it would be no more than another form of PUA/gaming...at least as you guys have defined it repeatedly (more or less anything a guy consciously/deliberately does to try to improve his social life with women). Right? I am trying to give a deeper level of answer, not a "12-step self-improvement plan" or a "martial arts training system" kind of answer. And, imo, much goes on at that deeper lever...perhaps all of the most important differences between us. Just to give one stark example, the idea that women are incapable of love (for men) is so absurd that it is almost incoherent to me; you might as well claim that secretly they are flesh eating aliens disguising themselves as human with some advanced technology in order to take over the world.

@Chocoballs - Your question above strikes me as more interesting, and I'll try to get back to it soon too. But the short form version is that I am NOT "SURE" about why/how I am successful with women (or in general) nor do I know if I can help anyone else. I am just reporting my experiences and my best understandings of it, based on really quite a lot of thought and introspection. I am just trying to answer some (interesting to me) questions others have raised and, I think, addressed to me. It is up to you and other readers to decide if what I posted makes sense and if it is of any value to you/them personally.

Unlike some here, I am not under the impression that I have sure solutions to major life problems of people I have never even met! (Btw, hubris can be a major life problem...if you get my drift.)

-Ww

you guys have defined it repeatedly -- more or less anything a guy consciously/deliberately does to try to improve his social life with women

If that's the definition of PUA/gaming that's floating around, IMO it's ludicrously overbroad, both in terms of the means that PUAs use and the ends that PUAs seek. You're essentially saying that every guy going out to meet women for any reason is engaging some form of pickup, which, again, IMO is flat wrong.

Means: I'd compare this to the difference between 'spiritual' and 'religious'. I consider myself to be a spiritual person. I try to be good and do good when I can, I think that there's something special about life and the universe, and I occasionally contemplate that. But I don't go to church or read the Bible, (not often anyway) much less closely follow what the Bible has to say in my day to day life. Is there a lot of overlap between being 'spiritual' and being 'religious'? Yes, but they aren't the same.

PUA is a framework (or set of frameworks) for increasing the amount of sex a guy can have. Is it the ONLY means of increasing it? No. There's a lot of more or less common sense ideas that PUA uses to focus on a particular goal that can be utilized whether or not a guy is PUA. When I got my heart broken in the 6th grade by some girl, my dad told me "there's a lot of fish in the sea". This is a core principle of PUA (avoiding 'oneitis'), but my dad isn't a pickup artist, and neither am I.

Ends: The point of the vast majority of PUAs are a) to improve their pickup skills (in cases like Neil Strauss, the skills became more important than the women) and b) to have a lot of sex. I don't think that the vast majority of men are really interested in this. Sure, in a fantasy land, men would love to be having sex all the time, but they aren't willing to give up their current lifestyle to pursue it. All the PUAs that say "you could have this" forget to append "if you are willing to totally change your lifestyle". People that don't choose the PUA life aren't doing it wrong, and yeah they might not meet "quality" women or as many women, and that's fine, just as the PUA lifestyle is also fine.

But there's things like building confidence and recognizing mistakes in interactions that men can do when talking to women, and I don't think those are PUA-specific. They are just common sense.

PUA is a framework (or set of frameworks) for increasing the amount of sex a guy can have.

This is wrong and a misunderstanding of what PUA is. I think those that define PUA in that way, is part of the misunderstanding and miscategorization of it.

Reactions: Sinapse
My impression is that PUA as practiced by @Solong @Sinapse et al seems to be a methodical, systematic approach to meeting and bedding women. They use what they think are proven techniques to better their chances of hitting the jackpot on a regular basis. It seems to be viewed by practitioners as almost an academic discipline. I think you view the method as techniques, while detractors view them as tricks,

Personally I have no problem with it unless it causes some grief to the targeted person. Reverse the scenario a bit and I'd be stoked to be approached by woman on a regular basis.

I get the impression that when you are in PUA mode, you have a set goal in mind, and each technique you use (and each adaption to her reaction) is kind of mapped out. With @Solong I get the impression that he more after dates that lead to sex, rather than on the spot, off to the hotel type interactions, while with @Sinapse , (after reading his Fukuoka escapades) is more a in the moment type of PUA. I know this is not going to be correct, but is just the impression I get.

Anyway...

While writing this , I've been racking my brain to figure out a exclusively non PUA way of meeting woman, and I can't for the life of me come up with one.

I tried to come up with examples (Conbini lass, bar scene..) and everything I thought about what I do in these situations (which I consider natural, and not studied and thought out in advance), could be classified as some form of PUA.
i.e. Extending the conversation with the Conbini girl over time to incl unrelated matters, or starting with eye contact at the bar, and then moving from there.

So all I can conclude is that PUA is a state of mind, and the PUA way of meeting women and the Non-PUA way of meeting women can often be very similar, but just without pre-meditation of using PUA techniques.

Last edited:
Reactions: Solong and Sinapse
While writing this , I've been racking my brain to figure out a exclusively non PUA way of meeting woman, and I can't for the life of me come up with one.

I tried to come up with examples (Conbini lass, bar scene..) and everything I thought about what I do in these situations (which I consider natural, and not studied and thought out in advance), could be classified as some form of PUA.

"PUA techniques" didn't necessarily start with PUA, as I said. Just because a technique can be part of PUA or has a catchy name involved doesn't mean it comes from PUA. I think trying to come up with "an exclusively non-PUA way of meeting women" is a meaningless exercise because someone can probably classify just about all of human behavior as part of PUA.

Reactions: Wwanderer and Sudsy
"PUA techniques" didn't necessarily start with PUA

As near as I can tell, the bulk of them are just old sales techniques. A little Og Mandino, Zig Ziglar, and Neil Rackham.

My impression is that PUA as practiced by @Solong @Sinapse et al seems to be a methodical, systematic approach to meeting and bedding women.

PUA are methodologies and techniques to help a man be more successful with women, and to better understand the seduction process or "game".

How each man defines success is different. He may simply want to improve himself, increase his knowledge, get a date, just 1 girlfriend, or sleep with many women.

A PUA becomes more aware of the seduction process, as oppose to haphazardly and randomly interacting with women. He then uses his understanding of seduction and "the game" of how men and women interact, to his advantage or to achieve whatever his goals might be.