A question about blocking someone on LINE?

TokyoJoeblow

TAG Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I think I know the answer to this, but thought I would ask anyway for any possible LINE experts on here.

If I sent someone some messages in the heat of the moment (an argument) and then blocked them after sending those messages...will the person still be able to read those messages I sent before I blocked them?

I ask because when someone reads your messages or opens the chat window, the messages will appear as "read" but this person must not have gotten to reading the messages yet, so these messages were not marked as "read" before I blocked them.

I feel bad for letting my emotions get the better of me and for what I said. I have no plans to unblock this person as we have no need to keep on contact for any reason.

I still feel a little bad because I was a bit harsh...I assume she will still be able to read those messages and just below it, will be some message that says she has been blocked?

I was reading on another forum that when you block someone, they actually are not notified that you blocked them?

Wouldn't my LINE disappear from someone's friend list as soon as I block someone though?

Last edited:
She will be able to read all the messages you have send even if you block her. But you have 24h to unsend any messages, and if you do that before she reads them she will not see them but instead a message saying you unsend something.

But she will not know you have blocked her. There is no indication about that as it could be counter-productive. Your account stays in their friends list too.

If you unblock her you won't get the messages that were send in between, only the messages send after the unblocking.

I think from experience the only action you can do that they can see is you share a photo album & they decide to delete all the photos. This is also the current way for some to say we don’t go out anymore before or after blocking you.

You can read partial messages in your notifications (on iOS, whatever fits 4 lines) without triggering the ‘read’ status. Also, if you force touch on the chat, you can read what fits on the screen without it registering as read.

Just unsend the message and hope she didn’t read it beforehand. Then it’ll just say ‘TJB unsent a message’ in the chat.

Blocking someone doesn’t notify them but you can tell if you’re blocked/unfriended by looking at the friend in question’s profile/home. If there was anything there before that you could see but can’t see anymore, you’ve been blocked/unfriended. You still appear in their friend list even if you block/unfriend.

Reactions: TokyoJoeblow
You can read partial messages in your notifications (on iOS, whatever fits 4 lines) without triggering the ‘read’ status. Also, if you force touch on the chat, you can read what fits on the screen without it registering as read.

Just unsend the message and hope she didn’t read it beforehand. Then it’ll just say ‘TJB unsent a message’ in the chat.

Blocking someone doesn’t notify them but you can tell if you’re blocked/unfriended by looking at the friend in question’s profile/home. If there was anything there before that you could see but can’t see anymore, you’ve been blocked/unfriended. You still appear in their friend list even if you block/unfriend.

Oh shit...I totally forgot about pressing and holding to delete a message you already sent. I knew this, but forgot anyway haha.

Too late now, she definitely actually read everything I typed by now.

If I were to unblock her of course my chat window would be blank, but from her end our older chat window would still be up should I send another message?

I don't plan on doing this, but just trying to learn how to use LINE better in general.

I guarantee this person doesn't know how to check LINE messages without triggering the 'read' status lol. That is really useful and I will remember to do that sometimes haha.

Also, if you force touch on the chat, you can read what fits on the screen without it registering as read.
I guarantee this person doesn't know how to check LINE messages without triggering the 'read' status lol. That is really useful and I will remember to do that sometimes haha.
I forgot to mention, it’s only a light force touch. So don’t attempt on a train or in a car. Haha. A fully pressed force touch will open the chat up completely.

Not only that, she can actually check if youre blocked her also. I dont remember exactly how, but if you try to send stickers or buy stickers for the person you suspect has blocked you, you will be met with a error message. And if you get that message youre blocked.