Adobe Creative Cloud And Saas Licensing Models

TAG Manager

Executive Leadership
Reaction score
Here's a subject to change the gears of discussion for a bit....

I upgraded my Adobe products pack from CS3 to CS6 awhile back and have been happy with the package since. In that time, the Adobe Creative Cloud was released and that's now we get updates for those CS6 products. (I have not opted into the Creative Cloud Subscription (SaaS model) because I didn't really see the point in paying a subscription fee just to stay on the cutting edge of Adobe's product suite.

Now, I see this article pop up: http://www.cnet.com/news/survey-why-are-you-still-using-adobes-old-cs6-products/

Now, they are feature locking some items to Creative Cloud only, which may force some people to cave and buy into the subscription model. ($50 USD/month for 1 year commitment or $75 USD/month if you choose the month-to-month route.)

As noted in the article:
CNET Article Excerpt said:
However, Lightroom Mobile, some new GPU acceleration abilities, Photoshop's new focus masking and many other new features are available only through updates available to Creative Cloud subscribers. Adobe also has introduced new tools like Edge and Muse with the subscription.

I use their products fairly frequently for various task, but not related to professional design or even my 'day' job. It's all stuff that I do on the side for either web based productions or private projects.

In the end, I see more of this happening where software companies are moving to a SaaS model instead of the traditional perpetual license structure. (i.e. Office365)

Any opinions on the SaaS model that is seemingly becoming mainstream?

Bait and switch.....

Bait and switch.....

Haha. I guess you could say that.

At least with CS6, I'm not being forced to change what I have and I'm still getting updates for those products. However, maybe if I find that I need some of the newer features, I may be forced into the Creative Cloud model or find an alternate product.

For other products, I'm fine with the versions I've got. Most them are still also available by the usual license model.

I'm an avid user of VMWare Workstation 10 and have been since version 8. Comparatively, the price is relatively small going from version to version, but my personal ROI in having the product comes back very easily.

SaaS is really a misnomer for Adobe: you would be paying for micro-transactions ("used this filter 3 times, etc..") instead of a monthly rent. Amazon's web services are better in that regard.

I'd love to hear how easy Adobe makes it for you to cancel the month-to-month service.

I'm an avid user of VMWare Workstation 10 and have been since version 8. Comparatively, the price is relatively small going from version to version, but my personal ROI in having the product comes back very easily.
If you're using the snapshot feature for testing, make sure you aren't using it on a linked clone (slow to rollback).