Guest viewing is limited

Advices Needed For A Long Term Relationship

I don't think she could have survived an extended stay in Toscana without having access to the terrific central market. ... The sort of place I would not even think of entering - but she was desperate.

LOL!

I suppose you are aware that only a few decades back and even more so a few centuries back, people traveled to far parts of the world and got *zero* of the cuisine of their native country for years at a time...even for the rest of their lives...and consider it only a minor problem. Even over the only 25 years I've been spending time in Tokyo, the amount and quality of non-Japanese food available has soared.

-Ww

LOL!

I suppose you are aware that only a few decades back and even more so a few centuries back, people traveled to far parts of the world and got *zero* of the cuisine of their native country for years at a time...even for the rest of their lives...and consider it only a minor problem. Even over the only 25 years I've been spending time in Tokyo, the amount and quality of non-Japanese food available has soared.

-Ww
Yes :) It has been an amazing transformation. A benefit(?) of globalization. There are more Pizzerias within 5km of my house in Tokyo than there are in downtown Florence!

Generally, JPN people love Italian food and if they live somewhere like Tokyo they can get access to genuine Italian food. Italian food culture is one of the reasons that JPN people develop a very positive impression of Italy and Italians. However, living in Italy and eating Italian food everyday is a different issue. A few years ago I spent an extended vacation in Italy and travelled with a JPN woman. When her visa ran out she decided to return to JPN and came back a few days later with a suitcase of JPN cooking supplies. She was a very "international", very sophisticated and loved Italy and Italian food. But your Asian restaurants and grocery stores are not going to be an adequate replacement for JPN food. We were based in Roma and Firenze. I think JPN people would generally prefer food from the South, the coastal regions or the islands. I don't think she could have survived an extended stay in Toscana without having access to the terrific central market. My companion would sometimes make a sorte to a local Chinese restaurant in Firenze to get a noodle fix - very low quality food. The sort of place I would not even think of entering - but she was desperate. I strongly recommend introducing your friend to the local food markets.

If you move forward with your plans, you should note how much research and preparation she makes in advance of the trip. What ideas does she have about studying/working? what interests does she want to pursue? This will give you an idea about how much of self starter she is, or how much of a passenger she will be.

If she does attend a language school, she will meet a circle of international friends some of whom will likely be JPN. That may help with homesickness and boredom, but I think it is also important for you and her to develop a circle of local friends and mix with your family.

Mmmh well, i hope she will like italian foods for a long time, but ofcourse if she will feel homeseek for various reasons i can't do much about it..
Like said we have many sushi restaurants (some are even really good) and if we need we can put effort on replicate some of the japanese food from what we can take from special grocery shops.

In my opinion homesickness bounded from the foods habits it's a little overrated, especially from the people of my country..
In these years after globalization we can find anything we need, even good quality stuff.

Right now she is putting a lot of efforts on studying italian language and english, but our time is limited on our after work hours, then we can't plan everything so fast...

I know a lot of japanese people married to Americans living in the us. In a decent number of cases I sense some resentment of having given up everything in their previous lives. Of course, maybe that is just my wife! She will inevitably get homesick. I suggest taking it slow. Anyway, 2 ideas:

1) just see each other on vacation for a while and do video Skype.
2) Have her come for a predetermined period of time - say a year. That way there will be less pressure.

I know a lot of japanese people married to Americans living in the us. In a decent number of cases I sense some resentment of having given up everything in their previous lives. Of course, maybe that is just my wife!

Nah...it's definitely not just your wife. Nor is it just married Japanese people living in the US. It is common enough in international couples in general. Moreover, it is ordinary in couples from different parts of the same country, especially a large country like the US. I know of couples in which there are East vs West Coast issues or North vs South issues etc.

@Bulbasaur - However, I'd not worry about it too much. Very close to 100% of married couples have "some resentment" over one thing or another. Making a "life together" will nearly always involve some significant compromises that will lead to some tensions and resentments/dissatisfactions, but as long as they are not too severe and as long as you are both reasonably mature adults, none of this implies big problems or that you can't have a happy and successful relationship. It is just one more thing to be aware of without getting overly hung up about or focused on it, imo.

-Ww

Reactions: Bulbasaur
Ciao amico

You said you met her it's non dating online site. Can you tell us which one?

Some of us here might be interested.

We've helped you so you might like to help us

Ciao amico

You said you met her it's non dating online site. Can you tell us which one?

Some of us here might be interested.

We've helped you so you might like to help us

Yea ofcourse, i met her on japan-guide-com, no pics site, only messages, and if you feel interested on the person you can ofcourse exchange line and other chat app..
Completly free, but a lot hard to find the right people you are searching..

Yes :) It has been an amazing transformation. A benefit(?) of globalization. There are more Pizzerias within 5km of my house in Tokyo than there are in downtown Florence!

How many of these reach even the level of the poorest quality pizzeria in Firenze? There is an astonishing number of really bad pizza in Japan. Deliveries usually make the very top of that list ;)

How many of these reach even the level of the poorest quality pizzeria in Firenze? There is an astonishing number of really bad pizza in Japan. Deliveries usually make the very top of that list ;)
Well delivery pizza....?that is not really pizza. There are plenty of places in Tokyo that exceed what's on offer in Florence. Pizza is not a Tuscan staple. Do a quick search on Timeout and you will find some great pizza.

Reactions: Muku1
Rocco's New York Style Pizza in Tokyo, Japan ラッコズ ニューヨークスタイルピザ東京

2 thumbs up

Reactions: Wwanderer and namae
Pizza is a very sensitive subject

You yanks got your NY and Chicago style

Most Italians would say their vera pizza napoletana is tops but you can find good pizza all over the world now. Key is whether it uses buffalo mozzarella.

Give the Japanese their due, when they apply themselves to something they do it well. A Japanese regularly finishes in the top five of the annual pizza napoletana contest held in Napoli and not scared to try something experimental.

Just for your information, 50% of the dough for optimal pizza needs to be made the day before and left in the fridge, plus 25%% from 2 days before. If all made same day, you get a bloated feeling. This is supposedly a trade secret.

The wood oven needs to be lit and heated up for about an hour before use.

The best Napoli pizza I have found is La Befana in Shimokitazawa and Quest in Yokohama. But everyone got their personal preferences. To say there is only one way to make is cultural snobbery

It's also interesting I met my present girlfriend on japan-guide. Even though it specifies it is a non-dating site, you can find love. I got to know my present girlfriend for a few months as a friend and then we fell in love and couldn't be happier.

I am sure your present girlfriend has international experiences so I say she may be ready. But on the other hand, are you also ready to move to Japan for her if it comes down to that?

Either way, best of luck to you. My current girlfriend is why I don't really post here anymore and why I am off
The mongering scene

Reactions: Solong