Guest viewing is limited

All You Can Eat Bargains In Tokyo

roots reggae

Officially Unverified
Reaction score
Once again, a thread inspired by my favorite Japanese news source, RocketNews24.

Almost every week they feature all-you-can-eat restaurants, so feel free to look to past articles for possible bargains.

This week it's fried oysters:

Located two blocks from Iidabashi Station in downtown Tokyo, Kaigaraso bills itself as an “oyster bistro,” It’s got the sort of classy interior you’d expect from the fancy self-categorization, but its lunch sets are very reasonable, with fish, pasta, or meat dishes for just 980 yen (US$9.50).

Even the most expensive lunch option is still pretty cheap, at 1,200 yen. As a matter of fact, we’d say it’s an absolute bargain, since it’s for all-you-can-eat fried oysters!

http://en.rocketnews24.com/2016/09/...l-works-out-to-less-than-three-bucks-an-hour/

Reactions: TAG Manager
There's another great Japanese perversion of foreign words.

One word in Japanese for "All you can eat" is バイキング because 'smogasbord' probably doesn't sound as good in Katakana and apparently the 'Viking' imagery works better.

I also love that "All <blank> you can handle" is used for a number of things in Japanese: 食べ放題 (all you can eat), 飲み放題 (all you can drink, usually beer), パケ放題 (unlimited data for smartphones), etc.

One word in Japanese for "All you can eat" is バイキング because 'smogasbord' probably doesn't sound as good in Katakana and apparently the 'Viking' imagery works better.

That one stems from the Tokyo Imperial Hotel, who introduced their "Viking smorgasbord" in the late 50s. Most Japanese at the time had no idea what either word meant, and "Viking" being easier to say was the word that entered the public lexicon.

I have heard the story slightly differently. The Imperial Hotel, yes. But the inspiration for the name came from the movie "Vikings" with Kirk Douglas and Tony Curtis that was big in Tokyo at the time. The reason, as you said, being that "smörgåsbord" was a hard sell.

Reactions: AliceInWonderland
Y'know what they say about oysters...

They're slimey.

Only if they've been left out for too long.

Fresh raw oysters are a treat. Sweet soft flesh, salty juices and utterly slurpable.

Fresh roasted oysters need a little ketchup or ponzu to balance the flavor, but that makes them even more delicious.

Canned oysters are mostly salty but their flavor is stronger and go well in oyster rolls (ground pork, fishcake, green onions & canned oysters blended together, coated in panko and fried golden brown, awesome with ketchup that maxes the umami)

I used to be ok with raw oyster until I got a bad experience.
I met this very nice Japanese guy at Deai cafe, he took me to Kaiseki cuisine ( traditional Japanese course meal) on our third or forth date, one of the dish served on the night was fresh raw oyster. He was not good with raw one so dipped into a hot pot while I ate it as raw.
A few hours later....It was a nightmare!!

I occasionally go to Shinagawa prince hotel for buffet. They serve good crab. I am a big fan of seafood still.

I'm sorry, you're going to have to explain it to me.

Oh boy... Here goes:

oyster1.jpg