Am I getting catfished?

UnicornHunter

Hissssss!
Reaction score
Here in the USA I usually don't give my number out and practically have no contacts on my phone, but I got a Whatsapp message asking if this number belongs to (name other than mine).

Her pic was of a cute girl of asian appearance.

I said it wasn't and added that her pic looked familiar.

She apologized and said her secretary must've given her the wrong number.

I said no problem and have a nice day.

She said that i'm a nice person.

I replied, I do my best. You're not so bad yourself.

Then she replied, You are so funny! My name is (name). What's yours?

I basicaly gave an alias and asked where she is located.

That's. Where I'm at now. Note: my whatsapp account doesn't show a picture at all.

Catfishing?

You are certainly being catfished. It’s up to you if you continue to communicate with them.

I've been playing along to see how far it goes. She claims to be a Chinese business woman from Shanghai. Even told me her chinese name.

Not going bite the hook

By just accepting the message you may be giving them your info.
You first have to realize you are probably talking to a dude. Is that still so fun to see how far it goes?

I too had a similar experience … blocked the contact in watsapp. But next day another chat was received from a different number with a different asian profile. I am confused how my number is getting to these scammers. All the chat messages seems to have a asian lady in the pic….

I too had a similar experience … blocked the contact in watsapp. But next day another chat was received from a different number with a different asian profile. I am confused how my number is getting to these scammers. All the chat messages seems to have a asian lady in the pic….
Curious if the message pattern was similar...

Yes mine started like “please confirm if (chat person)’s travel itinerary was received and is ok considering current travel ban” to which I replied that she has the wrong number. Then she replied that my number was given by Jenny. Now that’s a common name and i do have friends with same name .. so i asked which Jenny??. To which the response was she made a mistake but then wanted to understand who i was and which location. If we can be friends. That’s when I understood that this is a scam and promptly blocked the number.

Then she replied that my number was given by Jenny.

I've received a couple dozen scam attempts like this - they all used the name Jenny.

I also found Jenny’s number on the wall.
For a good time.
I tried to call her before, but I lost my nerve.
I tried my imagination, but I was disturbed.
She doesn’t know me, but makes me so happy.
I got to make her mine.

Is she Stacy's mom?

No, you must be thinking of the other girl Eileen.
Her in that dress though, oh my thoughts I confess..
Well, they’re dirty. :oops:

Reactions: Cinnabums
I am confused how my number is getting to these scammers.
I'm fairly certain they are just wardialing. They could working off a database of phone numbers, but it's possible that they're just sequentially churning through numbers until they get a bite.

I too have gotten these messages on my personal SoftBank phone. On my business phone, I've mostly gotten straight up sales calls in Japanese.

I too have gotten these messages on my personal SoftBank phone.
Scammers like to work Softbank's directory because they know most Softbank customers are pliant chumps that are used to accepting all sorts of bullshit. ;)

Mine went by the name Mary. Account Manager at a well-known company in HK. A very busy position. Still she was eager to chat with an unknown person she contacted by mistake. Impressive multitasking skills. It was fun for a little time.

Reactions: MikeH
Scammers like to work Softbank's directory because they know most Softbank customers are pliant chumps that are used to accepting all sorts of bullshit. ;)
I’m a bit worried to hear this. I’m a SoftBank customer. Time to switch to another carrier?

I’m a bit worried to hear this. I’m a SoftBank customer. Time to switch to another carrier?
I'm not exactly sure what he's talking about - I've had this account since the Vodafone days, never really had much issue over the years.

Mine went by the name Mary. Account Manager at a well-known company in HK. A very busy position. Still she was eager to chat with an unknown person she contacted by mistake. Impressive multitasking skills. It was fun for a little time.
This one goes by the name of Anna or He Qing from Shanghai who has a fitness equipment company trying to expand in the US.... during a pandemic. Yup, overly eager to chat with a complete stranger.

The last message from this person was that she was going to the orphanage this weekend to help the kids. Lol no such thing in the US.

I'm not exactly sure what he's talking about - I've had this account since the Vodafone days, never really had much issue over the years.

Nothing new, Softbank are just fairly well known for shitty customer service and implementing consumer-unfriendly practices. They're the originator of the capped data plan in Japan, as well as the automatic contract renewal.

Reactions: Durg50