App's To Use While In Tokyo

lightman

TAG Member
Reaction score
Hey all!

It's going to be my first time in Tokyo in 2 weeks.

Was wondering what apps (apple app store) would be good to use to get around, find good food reviews and and summer activities that are happening?

Would appreciate all the help! I'm not able to speak Japanese!

Thank you!

Hey all!

It's going to be my first time in Tokyo in 2 weeks.

Was wondering what apps (apple app store) would be good to use to get around, find good food reviews and and summer activities that are happening?

Would appreciate all the help! I'm not able to speak Japanese!

Thank you!

Honestly, if you're after events and want it in English, start here:

http://metropolisjapan.com/

The local apps for places to eat and local reviews are mostly in Japanese... There may be some mixed English reviews out there, but that would be the exceptional case.

Time Out Tokyo is also good for events.
Tokyosubway app will make navigating the metro a hell of a lot easier
Meetup app has a lot of events you can do with other people (such as Tokyo bar crawl)
Yurekuru app will tell you about earthquakes that have just happened
....and Tinder might get you laid!

For those expecting utter reliance on google: don't trust Google maps to always pinpoint you. Sometimes the GPS won't work at all. Other times it will put you 30 meters off mark. And don't expect always comprehensible translations with translate in Japan or China, especially with the photo feature.

Don't trust Google maps to always pinpoint you. Sometimes the GPS won't work at all. Other times it will put you 30 meters off mark. And don't expect always comprehensible translations with translate in Japan or China, especially with the photo feature.

I think bad GPS is caused by a bad phone, not by Google maps.

Yes the translations are not always very good but it's better than nothing...

Reactions: split
Maybe Sony makes bad GPS because both z1 and z3 had these issues. YMMV.

Maybe Sony makes bad GPS because both z1 and z3 had these issues. YMMV.

Yeah, I've not really had any problem with the iPhone 6 -- it does get kinda of weird when you're indoors, but when I use it to actually navigate, it works pretty well. (don't use Apple's Map app in Japan... use Google Maps!)

Awesome, will definitely check all the apps plus other things mentioned!

Appreciate it!