ATM Withdrawal limits?

dirkdiggler12

TAG Member
Reaction score
Hello, I've saved up quite a bit of money to splurge during my month in Japan. I was wondering if anybody had any problems withdrawing more than $10,000 throughout their stay from their bank? If I were to do so, would it cause an investigation? Sorry if this isn't the correct place to ask.

Reactions: yeti
Hello, I've saved up quite a bit of money to splurge during my month in Japan. I was wondering if anybody had any problems withdrawing more than $10,000 throughout their stay from their bank? If I were to do so, would it cause an investigation? Sorry if this isn't the correct place to ask.
Your ATM withdrawal limits are set by your own bank. I think that 7-11 ATM's are limited to 100,000 yen per transaction, not sure about a per-day limit but I believe it's really based on your own card limits. (I believe post office ATM's are limited to 50,000 yen for each transaction for international cards)

Like TAG manager said most limits are set by your bank so you check with them first.

Many many years ago I had a situation where my bank blocked my credit card because I had many transactions/withdrawals outside the country and they blocked it as a safety measure. Was a pain in the ass to deal with it. Since then I always call my bank beforehand and tell them where I will be to make sure nothing goes wrong.

I've withdrawn 100k from 7-11 ATMs multiple days in a row no problem. As always just make sure to decline the ATM conversion in favor of withdrawing in yen (and using your banks conversion rate)

So not sure if I am doing something wrong or it just doesn't work correctly. But I have never had a bank ATM allow me to do a cash withdrawl on a US check card. As mentioned any of the stores like 7/11 family mart ATM works fine. My bank automatically up my withdrawal limit when I am overseas I an with draw 100,000 yen easily enough.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alice
So not sure if I am doing something wrong or it just doesn't work correctly. But I have never had a bank ATM allow me to do acash withdrawl on a US check card. As mentioned any if the stores like 7/11 family mart ATM works fine. My bank automatically up my withdrawal limit when I am overseas I an with draw 100,000 yen easily enough.
No one has mentioned a specific Bank ATM (except 7-11, which technically is run by Seven Bank). The Post Office ATMs and 7-11 ATM's are the usual safe spots for non-Japan card holders to withdraw cash.

Your ATM withdrawal limits are set by your own bank. I think that 7-11 ATM's are limited to 100,000 yen per transaction, not sure about a per-day limit but I believe it's really based on your own card limits. (I believe post office ATM's are limited to 50,000 yen for each transaction for international cards)
Second this. With 7-11 ATM the limit for oversea card withdrawal is 100,000 per transaction . You can make multiple transactions per day. The daily limit is set by your bank.

No one has mentioned a specific Bank ATM (except 7-11, which technically is run by Seven Bank). The Post Office ATMs and 7-11 ATM's are the usual safe spots for non-Japan card holders to withdraw cash.
Never tried other ATMs other than the Post bank and 7-11. I know for sure that they work .

Second this. With 7-11 ATM the limit for oversea card withdrawal is 100,000 per transaction . You can make multiple transactions per day. The daily limit is set by your bank.

Never tried other ATMs other than the Post bank and 7-11. I know for sure that they work .
7-11 ATMs does not have additional fees such as after hours(after 5) or weekend fees.
Have tried other ATMs before, have gotten those ridiculous fees previously, now I just stick to 7-11
Drawn around 500k yen in a day before, multiple transactions.

Reactions: R3mmles and Ken4fb
Post office ATMs have been a good choice for a while. Just gotta keep track of the time, don't want to get there to find they ATMs are closed for the day (could be off on this, used the post office ATM by Kyoto station in 2007, things may have changed). 7-11 is a good option regardless of the time of day too.

I recommend calling your bank or credit union to put a note on the account saying you will be out of town, and also checking what their foreign transaction fee is for withdrawals. Mine is based on the post-conversion amount, though I've heard of some people getting hit with high fees.

Reactions: Alice
Some banks allow you to increase your daily ATM limit if you call them, and you can always put out a travel advisory on your credit cards and ATM cards so they know you're in that country and spending money.

Shinsei bank - you can't withdraw more than 500,000円 a day.

Before my trips I call my bank and ask them to raise my withdrawal limit to 1000/day for X days. It's never been a problem and I've been able to draw out 150k yen a day this way every day on this trip so far without any issue

Reactions: yeti and Alice
Family Mart and Lawson also have ATMs that accept foreign bank cards and instructions in English. I think the limits are 40,000 yen and 50,000 yen, respectively.

Both charge fees plus your bank might charge a fee.

Reactions: yeti
It's worth noting the ATM withdrawal limits really only matter for the fees. There's nothing stopping you from withdrawing the ATM max several times in a row until you hit your bank's withdrawal limit, and the transaction fees in Japan are way, way lower than in the US.

Last I was in Japan for about a month, and I was able to withdraw over $10,000 throughout my stay (albeit $500 here, $1000 there each time), so I don't think there should be an issue. It happens to be the limit at which you've got to declare it (which may have been OP's point), but I guess that only applies to lump-sum cash being brought into the country, and not to ATM transactions which are clearly documented.

I leave my daily limit to $1000, and just withdraw as needed, as I don't like keeping so much cash on me. I use a bank that refunds all ATM fees worldwide, so the number of times doesn't matter to me.

As an aside: it used to be such a pain in the ass to find the one ATM 5 subway stops away that would accept your card, but these days 7-11 are ubiquitous and I use SevenBank ATMs exclusively... I used to be able to use Citi (which has moved out), and MUFJ (which is often hit-or-miss for foreign cards). Also keep in mind that many more places (hotels, restaurants, shinkansen, gift shops) are OK with card purchases than say 5 years ago, so you may not need all that cash on hand.

Last edited:
Reactions: SugoiBoy