Guest viewing is limited

Attack On The Crows

A couple of filmmakers, Kristine Samuelson and John Haptas, examined the crow "problem" a couple years ago and produced a fine documentary with a another, more Shinto response to the lives of crows in Tokyo.

It's called Tokyo Waka.

I own the film. It changed my mind about those persistent winged pests.

Here's the official trailer:

And a news feature:

A New York Times article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/28/movies/tokyo-waka-examines-the-urban-lives-of-crows.html?_r=0

Reactions: TheWhiteBear
@Wwanderer
images

Update: i just saw a big crow in front of my appartment door, and it looked at me aggressively. Fortunately i could get inside before it came up to me.
I'm convinced they smell fear.

When out walking, I attach a balloon to my head, with a face drawn on it. When a heinous bird attacks, the balloon bursts and the crow gets a terrible shock which dissuades it from repeating.

I, of course, get a face full of colourful rubber, but that's a small price to pay.

Earlier today outside of my room I could hear a cat and a crow fighting o_o
My room is right next to the woods

Reactions: Wwanderer
Actually I should mention that crows actually like me. If I'm sitting in a park or just about anywhere outside, its inevitable that one or more will come up to me and start a conversation. Again, far more interesting to talk to them than my coworkers. Crows have much more to say about more topics.

Very minor detail, but shouldn't this post should be named "attack by the crows" instead of "on"...... ??

A couple of filmmakers, Kristine Samuelson and John Haptas, examined the crow "problem" a couple years ago and produced a fine documentary with a another, more Shinto response to the lives of crows in Tokyo.

It's called Tokyo Waka.

I own the film. It changed my mind about those persistent winged pests.

Here's the official trailer:

And a news feature:

A New York Times article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/28/movies/tokyo-waka-examines-the-urban-lives-of-crows.html?_r=0

I've seen that before and I loved it. I'm also a big fan of Tokyo's crows, but I am an amateur wildlife photographer.

There is a little island in Tokyo Bay where thousands of crows roost on each night in the winter, it is visible from that Statute of Liberty replica (Odaiba).

If you are there about an hour before sunset in the winter, you can watch them coming home to roost in a big long lines.

If your mind is in the right place, they cease to be loathsome creatures and become interesting, clever and even beautiful.

The crows in Shonan....meaning Zushi, Kamakura etc..... only prey on food on the beach...Never heard of any direct contacts with people.....
When people are in the water, the crows check out what is in their bags on the beach..... It's the "tombi" birds (forgot the name in English-maybe "sea hawk") that are more active, and actually sneak in and take food out of peoples hands...... A fast food place near Enoshima, First Kitchen, eventually closed because of the problems with those birds......