Guest viewing is limited

Baldness?

but nobody is talking business attire here... that one is usually obvious...

i still got the inpression that peoples clothes, hair and shoes are mainly a choice to impress other people... why is that?

that is also one of the main reasons i hate working in fashion...

so is getting bald (to return to the subject) bad for you? do you care? or do you not care? do you care because people might (!) not like you because of that?

Reactions: AliceInWonderland
Well I know a guy who smoked two packs of cigs a day his whole adult life and died of old age at 93 so what ?

This reminds of my time when I was unemployed in Japan for several months after the subprime crisis back in 2010, a few guys lost their job from my office or got moved so...I had lots a free time and got bored after a while so I shaved my head to a smooth shave..since I don' meet people in workplace that's the only time I could do it.

I mean just like being totally bald with no hair at all, a complete shave using a good manual razor and foam, it took me an hour to get it completely smooth as you have to go slow.

SO then I hit a few bars in Roppongi, the ones I usually go and most of you guys know, wanted to see what kind of reaction I would get from the ladies - regular Japanese women.
I tried to have some conversation, now I can speak very good Japanese and make jokes and all but in this look I quickly realized that no women wanted to speak to me at all...big difference with how It usually unfolds when I have normal , even short (3mm) hair.

With normal hair women will start asking me question, where I am from, what I do etc..we can have conversations no issues at all and even exchange numbers and so on.

You could see a look of disgust and avoidance, it was sickening. They really avoided even looking at me, no interest at all.

I had a regular girlfriend back then so I didn't really care that much and enjoyed the "experiment" but it was a revealing test to experience and feel what it would be to be really bald in Tokyo.
No fun

No country for bald men..

Last edited:
Conehead.jpg

This reminds of my time when I was unemployed in Japan for several months after the subprime crisis back in 2010, a few guys lost their job from my office or got moved so...I had lots a free time and got bored after a while so I shaved my head to a smooth shave..since I don' meet people in workplace that's the only time I could do it.

I mean just like being totally bald with no hair at all, a complete shave using a good manual razor and foam, it took me an hour to get it completely smooth as you have to go slow.

SO then I hit a few bars in Roppongi, the ones I usually go and most of you guys know, wanted to see what kind of reaction I would get from the ladies - regular Japanese women.
I tried to have some conversation, now I can speak very good Japanese and make jokes and all but in this look I quickly realized that no women wanted to speak to me at all...big difference with how It usually unfolds when I have normal , even short (3mm) hair.

With normal hair women will start asking me question, where I am from, what I do etc..we can have conversations no issues at all and even exchange numbers and so on.

You could see a look of disgust and avoidance, it was sickening. They really avoided even looking at me, no interest at all.

I had a regular girlfriend back then so I didn't really care that much and enjoyed the "experiment" but it was a revealing test to experience and feel what it would be to be really bald in Tokyo.
No fun

No country for bald men..

Wow! You really pulled out the big guns for this post. Seems a little odd you didn't mention your "bald experiment" before, but I'll play along.

I readily admit that some women just don't go for bald guys. Having lived as a bald guy for coming up on 20 years it is easy for me to tell between the the ones who don't and the ones who do.

If they aren't making eye contact during a conversation, but looking at the top of my head, then it is a pretty good indication that they aren't for me.

Do I get disgusted or mad at them? Nope, I just move on. I have no idea of what the percentage of women who don't automatically rule out bald guys is, but Tokyo is large enough that I never felt lonely or desperate for a date.

I ocassionaly have women Ive never met before touch my head in a flirty manner. It doesn't happen a lot, but it happens.

I have never had a woman, in Japan or anywhere else be rude or mean to me because of baldness. Never!

Men on the other hand, will occasionally try out bald jokes to probe for weakness and establish dominance in a work environment. It also happens in social settings once in a while, but I learned long ago how to be intimidating and shut that behavior down if I have to.

I'm not sure why you are going to such great lengths to discourage the OP, but I think it might be because you have invested a lot of money and effort in propecia to keep your hair from falling out.

Perhaps you need to justify the effort and expense to yourself? Maybe it is because you prefer much younger women than I do?

I'll concede that going to dance clubs where 20-something women hang is way more difficult for a bald guy to pick up women.

But it is beyond absurd to translate that environment to the entire country of Japan. Your "experiment" is no reason for a bald dude in Japan to crawl into a hole and die.

Last edited:
My point was that there are much better countries to be in as a younger bald guy - the type of places where a lot of guys in their 30's have some thinning and it's not a big deal because it's so common.
Yes I forgot about that time I shaved to the bone it was years ago, and hair grows fast like beard speed so I was "bald"for a only a day or two.

My hair treatments aren't that expensive per say, but yes it can be a slight hassle and you have to plan in advance , take this stuff on holidays or business trips , when sleeping at someone's else house or order ahead and so on.

Generic finasteride cut in 4 is actually really cheap , Minox isn't that much and with some of the other stuff added maybe I spend 300 yen a day max. in total.
I also had a small Fue hair transplant a few years ago to cover the hairline area that was lost before I started propecia and that turned out fine as well so my test was to see if things go wrong , if the drugs stop working how would the "shave it all" option work . My conclusion is that there is just too much difference between the "bald me " and the "hairy me " In terms of perception and overall quality of life in Tokyo - I love going out and meeting new people - so I guess I'd go for another procedure .

And yes I'm not built like "the rock" so that plays a role too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jbagz
My point was that there are much better countries to be in as a younger bald guy - the type of places where a lot of guys in their 30's have some thinning and it's not a big deal because it's so common.
Yes I forgot about that time I shaved to the bone it was years ago, and hair grows fast like beard speed so I was "bald"for a only a day or two.

My hair treatments aren't that expensive per say, but yes it can be a slight hassle and you have to plan in advance , take this stuff on holidays or business trips , when sleeping at someone's else house or order ahead and so on.

Generic finasteride cut in 4 is actually really cheap , Minox isn't that much and with some of the other stuff added maybe I spend 300 yen a day max. in total.
I also had a small Fue hair transplant a few years ago to cover the hairline area that was lost before I started propecia and that turned out fine as well so my test was to see if things go wrong , if the drugs stop working how would the "shave it all" option work . My conclusion is that there is just too much difference between the "bald me " and the "hairy me " In terms of perception and overall quality of life in Tokyo - I love going out and meeting new people - so I guess I'd go for another procedure .

And yes I'm not built like "the rock" so that plays a role too.

This post has a reasonable and measured tone to it and it isn't making me want to grab you by the neck and throttle you. A couple of your earlier posts sounded very caustic to me.

I respect your decision to seek treatment and I'm actually glad that you found a solution that works for you.

As I said earlier, I've never had a female disrespect me or be rude to me because I'm bald. I certainly don't view not having a sexual attraction to me as being rude. They just aren't interested in me, no problem, other women are and they aren't that hard to find.

Men have tried pulling a lot of crap with me over the years that was outright disrespectful because of my baldness. Most of it was simple alpha male posturing, they thought the had a weakness to exploit, and if I had let them, they would have used it to marginalize me at work and in social settings.

Seriously, the worst part of going bald is how other men will try to use it against you, it isn't how the ladies react. At least that is the way it was for me.

I learned how to counter it, and in the long run I think it has made me a more self assured person.

Losing your hair isn't the end of the world, not by a long shot. Heck, I know a guy who lost both legs and a arm, and had his face disfigured. Going bald is nothing compared that.

Actually I'm kind of satisfied - I had a date on Saturday and after a...session, we decided to go the FWB route. A Filipina, not a Japanese, but pretty clever and cute. Two years older than me, so fits the demographics I prefer too. Hope all goes well, Saturday was wonderful.

I actually liked my bald head - it looked very streamlined, clean and masculine. At least to me.

But what do I know , I'm no Japanese woman...

I thought that if I pass the "bar" test I may as well do the daily shave, ease off on the hair meds and forget about the transplant and be done for life.

As for work , in my line of work looks and fashion isn't a big factor we have bald, fat or ugly dudes here and there and they don't seem to be treated differently or even made fun of if they do the job right.

Again from my favorite source for news in Japan:

A curry a day keeps hair on your head: Japanese nutritionist claims curry helps prevent baldness

According to a survey carried out by a major Japanese wig maker, Japan ranked 14th in the list of countries with the highest percentage of male baldness. Western countries littered the top slots, with America’s baldness rate more than double Japan’s, and India didn’t even crack the top 20.

The reason behind this? Japanese nutritionist Yoshiko Nakagawa says that the cause is curry. The mixture of spices found in curry such as turmeric, saffron, nutmeg, and capsaicin are good for the body’s metabolism and blood circulation, which is known to encourage hair growth.

http://en.rocketnews24.com/2016/07/...itionist-claims-curry-helps-prevent-baldness/

Honestly, if a woman was going to judge me on my baldness rather than how I treat her, I will drop her in a flash! She is definitely no keeper!

Reactions: Wwanderer
It supposed to be cold pressed raw pumpkinseed oil 50mg 2x per day ingested and a mix of castor oil/pumpkinseed oil/rosemary applied topically. I've not used it regularly so I can't really comment on its effectiveness.

Honestly, if a woman was going to judge me on my baldness rather than how I treat her, I will drop her in a flash! She is definitely no keeper!

Guys and gals judge each other all the time on appearances.

It is an integral part of human mating, we are visual creatures to a certain extent.

Even though I know nothing about you, I am confident in stating that there are certain physical attributes in females that are a no-go for you. That doesn't make you a bad guy.

In my exchange with @Tokyodude, I took the stance that a bald guy can still pick up women Japan. Whereas he maintained that Japan is "No country for bald men."

I don't begrudge a woman for not being physically attracted to me, nor would I want to receive any animosity for simply passing on the advances of a female.

I am a little puzzled on how you would "drop" a woman who you never hooked up with in the first place.

Reactions: MikeH
It supposed to be cold pressed raw pumpkinseed oil 50mg 2x per day ingested and a mix of castor oil/pumpkinseed oil/rosemary applied topically. I've not used it regularly so I can't really comment on its effectiveness.

I've never used it, but I can comment on its effectiveness. It does nothing to regrow hair or prevent male pattern baldness.

I started to get bald in high school. By the time I was 20 I turned into an almost cue ball. Options: Go for the barcode look or the shaven look.
I bought a Remington haircut machine and I'm using it every week without any adjusting coomb.
It's nice to feel the wind in the skin also no bed hair nor need of hair dryers.

Reactions: krdxgm69 and Jbagz
I wonder if the other guys only care about their hairstyle to attract girls?
This thread sounds like it. But if men did their fashion and hair soley to attract girls they could make quite some easy improvements.. -.-

I'm not sure I understand what you are getting at here, but I'll take a swing at it.
There are two main elements at play when a person chooses hair style and clothing. Self-image and how others perceive them.

I wholeheartedly agree about it being a self image thing. I don't know what it is about Asians in general. I grew up in the southern United States surrounded by those "southern cowboys" but I have always cared about my hair. It's not a means to attract women, but for some unknown reason an essential part of my self identity. I care for me cause I want to have amazing hair. It just makes me feel better about myself. The same can be said for how I dress.

I never understood why people automatically assume somebody dresses for another person or for the crowd. Sometimes a girl puts on a provocative outfit cause she's feeling particularly sexy. It's not cause she's desperately wanting the attention of some guy. Just like how I take pride in my appearance cause it makes me feel better about myself. It's not about what others may think or what I want them to think about me.

@Jbagz is right about it should accommodate the situation you are in. If you're at work, be at work. Do whatever you want in your personal life. That's just my opinion though.

Reactions: Jbagz
i assume it because most people do, even though most of course deny it... look at the pua threads (or other) and the suggestion that always comes up pretty fast is: dress better/groom/etc.... so yeah, i got a hard time believing something else (that doesnt mean i would think the same if i would just see someone outside, though, but then behaviour speaks books...)

look at the pua threads (or other) and the suggestion that always comes up pretty fast is: dress better/groom/etc.... so yeah, i got a hard time believing something else
I would never call myself a PUA. My sexual encounters have all been through sheer luck, or rather taking advantage of being the only Asian guy in the city back home and having girls with yellow fever find me! :LOL:

pua never call themselves pua^^
anyway, i actually didnt think you were one, since i dont really care wether someones a pua, or not...