Guest viewing is limited

Banks in Japan

It’s called “adhering to intl money laundering / terrorist financing regs is a pain in the ass and we simply don’t want to bother”
I can understand..........we're talking like $900.00 a year. I guess I'm fucked

I cash my USA checks using a USA bank, from Japan, using an online bank application. I just take a picture of the check and upload it.

Then I use TransferWise to send funds to Shinsei.

Just a thought. I have only walked into a Shinsei branch to setup the account.
I need to know how to do this. I need a USA bank? Wells Fargo Bank will not do this for me.

I need to know how to do this. I need a USA bank? Wells Fargo Bank will not do this for me.

Yes, you will need both a USA and a Japan bank account. I thought most USA banks did the electric check deposits now. I use a small credit union. So the name won’t help you much.

If you don’t have a USA bank that allows electronic check deposit, it might be easier to open an online bank account like Discover Bank. I believe all of those allow it and cater to opening accounts remotely.

Yes, you will need both a USA and a Japan bank account. I thought most USA banks did the electric check deposits now. I use a small credit union. So the name won’t help you much.

If you don’t have a USA bank that allows electronic check deposit, it might be easier to open an online bank account like Discover Bank. I believe all of those allow it and cater to opening accounts remotely.
Thank you Sir. I have my son handling it in the States (maybe a huge mistake as he's not on top of it and it all goes to him when I die) . I gave him PoA just for this issue. Off the top of your head, do you think Discover Bank handles Retirement funds? (IRA)

Thank you Sir. I have my son handling it in the States (maybe a huge mistake as he's not on top of it and it all goes to him when I die) . I gave him PoA just for this issue. Off the top of your head, do you think Discover Bank handles Retirement funds? (IRA)

I believe they do..

Reactions: just4fun
Some accounts are not eligible for mobile deposit.

This is the answer I've gotten from them "always".

Oh, sorry about that.

If you have an account with Mitsubishi-UFJ Bank (MUFG), you may be able to open an account at Union Bank (a subsidiary of MUFG) through a MUFG branch in Japan. Once opening an account, you can use Union Bank's mobile deposit app. The details about "California Account Program" on the below page is written only in Japanese, but it says if you are an account holder of MUFG and a resident with zairyu card, you are eligible for this program.
http://www.bk.mufg.jp/tsukau/kaigai/kouza/cali/index.html

Reactions: Sudsy and just4fun
Oh, sorry about that.

If you have an account with Mitsubishi-UFJ Bank (MUFG), you may be able to open an account at Union Bank (a subsidiary of MUFG) through a MUFG branch in Japan. Once opening an account, you can use Union Bank's mobile deposit app. The details about "California Account Program" on the below page is written only in Japanese, but it says if you are an account holder of MUFG and a resident with zairyu card, you are eligible for this program.
Will stop by there this afternoon and have a chat with them.
Thank you Sir. I have zero banking knowledge

Oh, sorry about that.

Looks like just saving and checking...........they gave me a phone number to call. Thanks a lot Ken.

Reactions: Ken1988
Here's the link to their phone numbers. It appears the English speaking line is open 24 hours.

http://www.shinseibank.com/english/sonota/

Best of luck. They have been good to me with great exchange rates. They financed my house.

Have a beer on me. I'm on the way to the train station to pick up my son from soccer practice. Then, a nice glass of red wine.
Shinsei is great! I had a problem awhile back and even though I’m not an actual account holder, they helped me navigate threw the problem in English. Extra nice customer service reps!

Reactions: roots reggae