Guest viewing is limited

Barber Shops

gaijinsan

TAG Member
Reaction score
Any stylish male TAG-ers have a good Tokyo barber shop recommendation, where there are barbers who speak some English? I typically rock the standard hipster--business on the sides, party on top.

Any stylish male TAG-ers have a good Tokyo barber shop recommendation, where there are barbers who speak some English? I typically rock the standard hipster--business on the sides, party on top.
Unix in Urawa has an American trained Japanese hair cutter. I highly recommend him.

Awesome, thanks. Ballpark price for a cut? Also, how would I go about booking him with no Japanese? I assume he's not taking walk-ins. Oh, and what's his name?
3500 I guess. Call the shop......he'll come to the phone if it's slow.
Yushi is his name (sorry)

There's a Barber from Brooklyn, New York in Shibuya that goes by the name of Tamru. He's probably the best in Tokyo. He doesn't speak much Japanese lol Haircuts are around 3,000円. The name of his shop is ShopBrooklyn.

Reactions: namae and gaijinsan
I can also think of Assort Hair in gaienmae. They are specialized in foreigners and they have English speaking hairdressers there.

Price for a men's cut is around 6000¥ so a bit more expensive as the other ones mentioned.
If you go there the first time you will get 1000¥ discount.

Reactions: gaijinsan
Wow.... those prices. There is a local guy near me that charges 3800 yen for a standard men's cut.

I've been going to a regular Japanese barber shop, usually opting for a regular full course. That comes to something like 1,800 yen. (cut, shampoo, shave, accessory stuff, etc.)

I use 3349 in Asagaya (Suginamiku). Yuko is familiar with foreign hair and the place is frequented by musicians, young actors and actresses, etc. They can do traditional cuts or cutting edge. Probably ¥5000 to ¥6000. (I can imagine the gasps at the price).

http://asagaya3349.com

You are the reason so many of the part-time P4P girls I meet are beauticians ;) Seriously even at the middle-end prices one of the lowest paying jobs you can get that requires a skill
I always felt like we dont reward the skills of good beauticians enough.
Also it really requires passion, i honestly can't imagine dealing with toxic fumes and working intensively with your hands the whole day for such a salary.

Agreed, getting a good hair cut is REALLY important.
Hairstyle definitely changes your whole face and image. Definitely something to invest in.
So many people would look much better with a nicer haircut.

I used to go to the same beauty salon in Ginza for years. Air wave perm, haircut, shampoo, treatment and hairset is about 20,000yen. it took almost 3 hours to be done.
I don't do air wave any more because I didn't see much difference between expensive air wave and basic perm.
Now I have been going to the one near my house. Regular perm, shampoo, haircut and treatment is 12,000yen, takes 1.5 - 2 hours.

Reactions: AliceInWonderland
I have long hair because I always fear going to the hair dresser. It is always hit or miss.
Result: My hair cut is anarchy, and I always go only until I'm sure that even if the hair dresser miss the cut, I will still look better anyway.

Happy to see recommendations, a bad hair cut can fuck your life for at least 3 months.

Happy to see recommendations, a bad hair cut can fuck your life for at least 3 months.

The Yul Brynner look is timeless, simple, and requires only a razor and some practice.

I used to go to the same beauty salon in Ginza for years. Air wave perm, haircut, shampoo, treatment and hairset is about 20,000yen. it took almost 3 hours to be done.
I don't do air wave any more because I didn't see much difference between expensive air wave and basic perm.
Now I have been going to the one near my house. Regular perm, shampoo, haircut and treatment is 12,000yen, takes 1.5 - 2 hours.
20,000 was also my price for the Air Chain of Salon. No one speaks english though. I had mine done in omiya. Straight perm, treatment and color. Took 6 hours. Ugh! I was so bored. Thank god for smart phone.
I'll do that only twice every year. They told me doing straight perm in japan is less common than wave perm. I guess straight suits me better for everyday. Easier to manage. ^_^

Yeah, straight perm is not as popular as wave perm in Japan. Most of Asian have natural straight hair like mine.
My virgin hair is super straight so I have to go back to hair salon every other month to keep the curl. Money is not a big problem but I am more worrying about damaging my hair.

Reactions: Yuma