Be Aware Of Liars And Yakudza In Shinjuku (kabukicho)!

You should give a bootcamp on how the real world actually works!

-Ww

I can sum that up in one sentence...

"It works the way it works, except when it doesn't."

Reactions: AliceInWonderland
I can sum that up in one sentence...

"It works the way it works, except when it doesn't."

Visiting Tokyo had been one of the greatest experiences of my entire life, and I've traveled to many other countries. To sum up the way I experienced the trip is Tokyo is similar to New York City, except without the criminals. I'm surprised about how honest people are. I mean when you get on a train and people are literally squished together, it would be so easy to get pick pocketed, but I guess that is rare thing. Which is very strange for a city sooo big. Because of the tough legal system on Japan, and just the politeness, honestly, honor, and self-respect of the citizens in general, that is why it does kind of throw me off to see these villains in Kabukicho getting away with that crap. So like you say, it works, except when it don't.

The touts may seem like bully boys....but I imagine they must be under serious pressure from "senior management " themselves.

My strategy varies depending on location, time and mood. I always start with a polite "no thank you" and if they persist I may get a little OTT US telly christian on them. That usually shuts them up. Other strategies focus on telling them I want something they don't have ( something other than beer and titties - like live sports broadcasts or live sex shows with donkeys ...( I use my German Gunter accent for that one).

The Nigerians and other touts are really devastating the tourist business in Kabukicho. There are good legit business' in Kabukicho. Lots of great restaurants plus the famous Robot Cafe. But they make it impossible to just stroll around and enjoy yourself. If you ignore them, they physically touch your arm or step infront of you. All they want to do is drug and rob you. So, the best advice people can give is "Don't walk around Kabukicho." But think about how that effects the legit business' as well. There was this one restaurant I ate at, where you grill your own meats and they had really unique meats I couldn't find anywhere else in Shinjuku. So I went for a stroll 3 nights in row in Kabukicho to try to find that restaurant again, but walking for 1 hour through that town will get you touched, groped, and harassed by probably 4 different Nigerians. I heard its even illegal to tout, so why aren't the police doing anything about it?
Very recognizable.
As a foreign women who can't be easily employed somewhere i can usually walk around without getting bothered too much but the Nigerians are terrible and definitely get physical.
There are some months there are a lot more or less than other months though. I suppose the ones who haven't got nationality by fake marriage get arrested and deported regulary but they just always ship new people to here.

Reactions: Sudsy and Wwanderer