Guest viewing is limited

Beginner advice for Tokyo

agent85

TAG Member
Reaction score
I have been to Tokyo 3 times already in the last few years but I was more active doing normal tourist stuff doing the daytime. For my 4th trip that is about to happen late 2022 if Covid does not interfere I want to do some different stuff like checking out the nightlife and interact more with the female population

My japanese studies are work in progress I will go language school again when I am there. I am still a beginner.

What would be the best way to interact with the female population.

International parties, clubs/bar or some other social event?

Would be pleased hearing some tips.

Just go walk around Shibuya at night and interact with people, most clubs/bars in my opinion will have the same girls go there every night.

Reactions: agent85
May want to start with training wheels, i.e. a Hub

Thanks for the tip. I am going to check out one the hub locations. I have already heard that they could be a nice place to meet new people. Going to visit the one in Shibuya for sure.

Are there any bars out there that are supposed to be good to meet new people as a foreigner?

I had good luck at Roppongi Rigoletto
That indeed was a great spot pre-covid; the bar area had some seats but it nice to minge around the standing area to meet people.
I haven't been back there since before COVID, no idea what kind of crowd is there now.

it is indeed a interesting question how things have changed due to covid. Things could be reall different now.

Thanks for mentioning Roppongi Rigoletto. I have not considered visting Roppongi to be honest due to it's bad reputation. >I wanted to stick to Shibuya for going out but if there are any worthwile locations in Roppongi as well I might reconsider.

I have visited Roppongi during day time on one of my previous Japan trips and does not look that bad. But is supposed to be rather fishy for nightlife so I decided not go.

I have not considered visting Roppongi to be honest due to it's bad reputation
It collects the business workers in the tower there, usually a good crowd and not the typical bar crowd you would see floating around the streets in Roppongi.

It collects the business workers in the tower there, usually a good crowd and not the typical bar crowd you would see floating around the streets in Roppongi.

I see. I would have no problem with that. That does not sound bad at all. I was rather refering to stories about shady bar owners that drag naive costumers into their drinking place to rip them of with high price drinks or even worse things might happen like getting drugged.

I see. I would have no problem with that. That does not sound bad at all. I was rather refering to stories about shady bar owners that drag naive costumers into their drinking place to rip them of with high price drinks or even worse things might happen like getting drugged.
https://www.huge.co.jp/restaurant/rigoletto/roppongi

Yeah, I know what you're talking about and this venue isn't anything like that. There are a few places like this... The Oak Door just a stone's throw from Rigoletto in the Grand Hyatt was also a good spot.

Reactions: agent85
Some swear by Geronimo in Roppongi. It’s not dangerous like shady dangerous but perhaps the start of a train wreck in other ways. I have never heard a story like “yeah we went to Geronimo for a quick drink and made the last train home.” :)

https://www.huge.co.jp/restaurant/rigoletto/roppongi

Yeah, I know what you're talking about and this venue isn't anything like that. There are a few places like this... The Oak Door just a stone's throw from Rigoletto in the Grand Hyatt was also a good spot.

I see. Thx for the info. the info. Well the Roppongi Rigoletto looks like a nice place.

I think I should be fine in Roppongi when avoiding the side streets where some shaddy places might be. Going to the good venues in Roppongi should be worse my time. It is never wrong to be careful but I won't rule out Roppongi anymore.like I did in the past. It's bad reputation might be warranted by some degree it but it might also be a bit
exaggerated

it might also be a bit
exaggerated
In some cases yes, a lot of it relates back lack of information before going out there. And some of it goes back to lack of common sense...
Many, many times I've stopped people from going to the wrong spots around Roppongi. (Business visitors usually...)
I don't go there much, but when I am there, I only hangout in some known spots.

Some swear by Geronimo in Roppongi
It's kind of a little secret. I wasn't going to mention it, but that is indeed one of the good places to go. It may be too cozy for some, but never had a bad time when I had been there. The seats by the window were probably the best... good view of the street activity at night.
(Mind you, I don't really drink... so each experience, I clearly remember since I was sober!)

Another good one was Bar Milwaukee (https://goo.gl/maps/S5TuEqG5cfn3LWL77) -- Been there a number of times without any issue.

Reactions: CharlieSimms
@TAG Manager Yes lack of common sense is quite common these days unfortuantely (no pun intended). If I go to Roppongi I am going to check ou the well known places with a decent reputation like the ones recommended here in my thread. I am going to stay away from places that need people to lure customers inside the venue. That's a big red flag already. I mean which company needs to lure customers into the place in a highly populated night life area. That does not make any sense at all. if the venue is good the people would visit it voluntarily

Reactions: TAG Manager