Guest viewing is limited

Best Language School for my Goals?

WagyuManko

TAG Member
Reaction score
I'm around N4 level. Lived in Japan for several years about 15 years back. Been living back in the west ever since as a chemical engineer - good degrees (dual BS degrees in chemical engineering and chemistry), lots of relevant experience. I'm looking to possibly make a drastic move and move back to Japan permanently. The #1 deficiency I would need to address to do so is language. N4 is pretty bad, but it's what happens when you move back home for 15 years and work a corporate job shoveling shit all day. Probably a surprise I even can still speak around N4 level anymore.

My goals/needs:

1) Come out of the language school (1-2 years, probably 2) and segue into an engineering job.
2) I need JLPT N2 (but really N1) minimum to get that job.
3) However, I need to actually speak the language - not just pass a test. Passing the tests will come naturally if I can focus on learning the language.
4) I do like schools that provide business Japanese and job seeking assistance.
5) I also want good Kanji practice (aka more western students so the Kanji learning pace is slower).
6) I do NOT really need the general cultural component (e.g. I don't need to go on school excursions to make Takoyaki or whatever, but I would go on a mongering excursion?? lol). Business cultural component would be good though, which I think comes by default in any business oriented course.

Based on 1-6 above, I feel I probably need a truly holistic education - probably some combo of real spoken communication driven learning, followed by some refinement of business/JLPT preparation once a fairly high level of spoken Japanese is obtained. May need two different schools.

I've looked at a bunch of schools, and these are kind of what I'm looking at:

1) GenkiJACS: This looks like a really good school for actually speaking the language, and has small class sizes which are beneficial. However, they do not have any real focus on JLPT or business Japanese, nor do they appear to assist with helping you find a job. Seems like a good school if you just purely want to speak/communicate, but might be a bit weak on the job/business end. Also the lack of a consistent schedule here week to week is kind of a con.

2) ISI: This school looks like it focuses heavily on JLPT/business Japanese and helping people get jobs. I like that the job seeking is done in-house. But it seems like I may be left with some deficiencies in my actual speaking ability at the end of this. It also seems like they have a lot of Chinese students who will excel at the kanji, and therefore they may spend less time on kanji learning. I've also heard mixed reviews in general.

3) Kai: I don't know as much about this school yet, but it says they primarily work with engineers (albeit software engineers) and they do offer business Japanese and provide job seeking support. GenkiJACS and ISI seem to be extremes - Genki is strictly conversational whereas ISI is strictly JLPT/business...Kai might split the difference and be a blend of both?

What do you guys think? Is one of these schools best for my goals above, or do you think I would need to do some combo of schools, like GenkiJACs for a year and then move over to Kai/ISI to refine on the business/JLPT end for another 6-12 months? What was your experience with a language school and how well did it work for you (I realize you only get out what you put in)?

Reactions: DragonSlayer
I did the Beginner I level of ISI's Career Japanese course at the Shibuya campus last summer. I thought it was really good, and feel that my Japanese improved more in those 3 months than in the 5 years I'd been studying on my own before.

In my particular class, Mainland Chinese was the most common nationality, but they were still only 4 (plus 1 Taiwanese) out of 17 students. I didn't feel that there was any lack of attention to Kanji.

I did the Beginner I level of ISI's Career Japanese course at the Shibuya campus last summer. I thought it was really good, and feel that my Japanese improved more in those 3 months than in the 5 years I'd been studying on my own before.

In my particular class, Mainland Chinese was the most common nationality, but they were still only 4 (plus 1 Taiwanese) out of 17 students. I didn't feel that there was any lack of attention to Kanji.

Thanks - would you say the Japanese you learned back then has stuck through until now, or do you feel like it was great coming out but you have regressed a bit since the program ended?

I know this is really on the individual more so than the school/program, but I think it's worth asking regardless.

Thanks - would you say the Japanese you learned back then has stuck through until now, or do you feel like it was great coming out but you have regressed a bit since the program ended?

I know this is really on the individual more so than the school/program, but I think it's worth asking regardless.
I'm back in Canada, now, so I don't have much opportunity to use it. I really should try to consume more Japanese content, than just subtitled anime and translated manga...

Reactions: WagyuManko
i have not used any of the schools you mentioned

they appear to assist with helping you find a job

you plan on using a school as a placement agency .. "if" they can put in the work force, i tend to think it would be with a small and Japanese-style company ..

just use LinkedIn .. grow your contact list with actual classmates, coworkers and recruiters.

i have not used any of the schools you mentioned

you plan on using a school as a placement agency .. "if" they can put in the work force, i tend to think it would be with a small and Japanese-style company ..

just use LinkedIn .. grow your contact list with actual classmates, coworkers and recruiters.

I agree, it's best for me to do my own networking/job searching, but I'm certainly not against the added benefit of a school helping a bit where/if they can, however limited it may be - every bit helps.

Reactions: Alice
3) However, I need to actually speak the language - not just pass a test. Passing the tests will come naturally if I can focus on learning the language.

I can't give any proper advice, just want to say that this is a misconception. May be true for other languages, but you won't pass N1 "naturally". There are a lot of people who speak Japanese pretty well but still would fail horribly when it comes to these tests. You have to sit down and study a lot of grammar points and kanji that are just not common when it comes to daily life, no way to learn them naturally.

You got already plenty of advice when you posted on Tokyo reddit, but im gonna tell you how i did to come here and get a job:

I got N5 in Spain, then i came here on a student visa for 1 year. I attended a school in Akihabara which had a good mix between chinese people and westerners, so we got separated into kanji using countries and kanjiless countries when it was time to learn kanji (the rest of the time we were all together). When i finished 9 months, i got N3 and right after that i went full job hunting mode and reached some companies for interviews. 1 of those companies made a job offer and i got the job, and got the visa sponsored by them. My industry may be more easier to get into (infrastructure IT engineering) but the basics are the same for almost all the industries i think.

My advice is:
- Dont depend on the school for more than learning the basics and learning how to pass tests. They almost always advertise really good job search support but in reality they are busy with other things aswell, so you may get a half-hearted support. Always make your research and get info from as many places as possible.

- Dont spend the days studying hard in the "traditional" aspect. You also need to get out and explore, get to see how the language is used outside the class environment and it may be a good chance to network too. Get out and interact with local people, because the school will have its own school related bubble (which can be good for those wanting to attend university after that, but its not good for those who want to branch into the workforce right after).

- It does not matter which school do you pick, but it does matter the amount of homework they assign to you. When i went to school i also got the typical part time job in a ramen shop and i was the only foreigner, so i had to speak japanese to the staff all the time. I was clocking in my 28 hours a week because my school had a normal amount of homework.

So basically you can pick whichever school you want based on the things they have that seem interesting to you, but the job seeking part has to be done by you. The school is just a place to get the basics, get used to the culture just enough to get by yourself and to learn how to pass tests and thats it.

Last edited:
Reactions: MikeH
To those who are being helpful, thanks, I appreciate it.

Apologies for posting a thread about life in Japan in the life in Japan sub-forum. Monger site or not, figured this might be a good place to find a cohort of Japan lifers who may have experience in what I was asking about, but perhaps I was mistaken. I'd rather work hard and better myself than come back to Japan and gaijin smash my way through the next 30 years just being another ex-pat with limited Japanese.

Last edited:
Reactions: zerosupblues
I can't give any proper advice, just want to say that this is a misconception. May be true for other languages, but you won't pass N1 "naturally". There are a lot of people who speak Japanese pretty well but still would fail horribly when it comes to these tests. You have to sit down and study a lot of grammar points and kanji that are just not common when it comes to daily life, no way to learn them naturally.

This is good actually; when I wrote that, what I meant was that I didn't want to have an N1 or N2 certificate but actually not be able to speak the language and be terrified to sit in an interview; I know far too many people who can crush academic tests but they are non-functional in industry when it comes time to actually think. In other words, what I was saying is I don't want to have N2 or N1 but basically feel like a fraud.

Your advice is helpful - this tells me I will need some dedicated JLPT focus regardless due to esoteric grammar/kanji that may not be used in daily life, so this is something I will consider with some weight.

Hello there

Almost all the wanted ads I see require JLPT N1. OTOH to get proficient enough to pass JLPT N1 is hard and you can try only one level at a time.
I suggest to try JTest since the test is open, the more you complete it, the higher the score (and level) you get.
Also it's cheaper and there are more exam dates.

From what you write I assume you are in your thirties. It's difficult to find a job in general and more so if you are older.
Maybe you know that when you enter in a company you start at a low level (and paycheck ). This doesn't apply if you branch outdoor while working in a company and you switch to another one that knows your company so you get a little more credit/value.

My advice is to look for companies you want to approach now (without contacting or applying ) and keep checking how they develop during the years you study. The people they recruit, if they have 中途採用 / positions for veterans.
If you already have leads, all the better.

Note that technical Japanese is like colloquial Japanese. A lot of words are shortened, truncated and joined like 東大(東京大学).

All the best

I thought it was the norm that jobs required N3 at most if they require any Japanese at all. Since when did that change?
I have no idea.
All the wanted ads I checked in the past (say 10 years and back) required near native to business level Japanese.
I am not checking recent or English teaching jobs though

It varies for sure. In my company they say in the ads that the minimum is N2, but they can (and will) make exceptions based on speaking skill or any other skills that the candidate may have, but they expect that the candidate gets N2 by the second year of entering the company.

Reactions: Alice
The title of this forum is "General Topics - Life in Japan". The purpose of this forum is to access experienced members who have lived in the country for a period of time.
Please stop reporting this discussion as off-topic or irrelevant. It is allowed and if nothing you have is helpful, please just don't reply.

The title of this forum is "General Topics - Life in Japan". The purpose of this forum is to access experienced members who have lived in the country for a period of time.
Please stop reporting this discussion as off-topic or irrelevant. It is allowed and if nothing you have is helpful, please just don't reply.

This thread bothers multiple people enough that they are reporting it? lol, wow. Really struck a nerve here I guess.

Anyway I'm still doing some research to figure out the best school, might be Kai but still looking into stuff. Again thanks to those who have been helpful.

This thread bothers multiple people enough that they are reporting it? lol, wow. Really struck a nerve here I guess.

Anyway I'm still doing some research to figure out the best school, might be Kai but still looking into stuff. Again thanks to those who have been helpful.
You are perfectly fine; people just get triggered for no reason.

My COE was issued a week ago and I will start ISI this April. They have several campuses for different purposes in Japan. I chose Takadanobaba because I will probably go to vocational school after 2 years. I'm not sure if I'll like it there but they are really responsive and helpful (so far). I’ve visited their school last summer and there were many Asian students indeed. The guy told me that they try to 'diversify' the classes as much as possible.

Anyway, I'm not sure if any of this information will be of use to you, but feel free to message me if you have any questions that I can answer

Reactions: WagyuManko