Best Option For Phone?

lucifermorningstar

TAG Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

First time in Japan coming up, short 2 week trip. Wondering whats the best value in terms of phone.
Is it better to rent for pocket wifi or get some kind of prepaid sim with data?
Any companies to avoid?

-LM

If you are only going to be here for two weeks, then you could just rent a phone at the airport. I did that when I arrived last year, but it was an old flip phone. The company that I used had a desk near arrivals in Narita.

I assume that similar services can be found at certain other Japanese airports if you are not landing at Narita.

Places like Yodobashi or BIC Camera have prepaid SIM cards for tourists which includes voice and data packages.

I typically end up getting a phone from SoftBank with a basic package. It's fairly reliable and I don't get hit that hard for messages

If your phone is unlocked, I suggest to get a sim at the airport. There are many options. I picked one and paid 7.5k for phone minutes and 3gb data. A bit high compared to what I pay in other countries for similar package.

Last time I used B-mobile sim card which is data only.

My up coming trip later this year, I plan to use Project Fi .

There is a similar service in the International Terminal at Haneda.

I think this is the voice/data sim available at the airports. They started selling this back in January this year.
https://sim.telecomsquare.co.jp/data_voice.html

It seems that it's only available at the vendor's airport outlets. They accept non-Japanese passports as valid ID documents for the required ID check.

Selling voice/data sims to non-residents are not illegal, but difficult because of the ID question. It seems that the government guided vendors not to accept non-Japanese passports as valid ID for their non-traceability. This vendor seems to have got the government's approval by restricting availability, selling only to short-term visitors, and selling on the spot.

Wanted to get a Softbank prepaid card but was told it's only available for Softbank phones (I left at home this time, because hey, new phone), so I had to take a rental.
It's about ¥100 a day and ¥110 a minute.
Prepaid would have been ¥90 a minute and no rent.

Wanted to get a Softbank prepaid card but was told it's only available for Softbank phones (I left at home this time, because hey, new phone), so I had to take a rental.
It's about ¥100 a day and ¥110 a minute.
Prepaid would have been ¥90 a minute and no rent.
This might depend on the company, but I think that one needs to use a credit card in order to rent a phone.

This might depend on the company, but I think that one needs to use a credit card in order to rent a phone.
The rental sim also requires a creditcard so they can bill you in case you don't bring it back (and charge extra for the sim and pouch).

The only reason I didn't get a prepaid sim was because i didn't have a Softbank phone with me.

Reactions: SugoiBoy
Hi all,

First time in Japan coming up, short 2 week trip. Wondering whats the best value in terms of phone.
Is it better to rent for pocket wifi or get some kind of prepaid sim with data?
Any companies to avoid?

-LM

Check your international plan. If data price is reasonable you my want to keep your cell phone and use a messaging app and/or email. If you have an iPhone and hook up with another iPhone user, messaging is free across Apple devices.

Reactions: SugoiBoy
Check your international plan. If data price is reasonable you my want to keep your cell phone and use a messaging app and/or email. If you have an iPhone and hook up with another iPhone user, messaging is free across Apple devices.

LINE is quite popular here in Japan.

I think this is the voice/data sim available at the airports. They started selling this back in January this year.
https://sim.telecomsquare.co.jp/data_voice.html
Hi all,
i plan my next try in Japan.
First time I bought a data only simcard online, received by mail at my home here, so I arrived in Japan with simcard ready.
Only data for me is ok, but this time i'll travel with a friend that will need to have a voice/call option also.

The simcard in the link seems fine, just a bit expensive maybe... Simcard will use on his Iphone 6, so he just have to go to the shop in the airport, show his Passport, pay, get a simcard and the staff will set up for him, right?
After our holiday the simcard will expired in 15 days, right? or he need to give this simcard back? just for be sure.

The simcard in the link seems fine, just a bit expensive maybe... Simcard will use on his Iphone 6, so he just have to go to the shop in the airport, show his Passport, pay, get a simcard and the staff will set up for him, right?
After our holiday the simcard will expired in 15 days, right? or he need to give this simcard back? just for be sure.

Yes, you understood right. You don't need to send the SIM back though.

Reactions: AlexWand
Thanks guys. it seems this one is a very good option for simcard voice&data, and avoid "renting".
Any other advice It is much appreciated.

Would love to hear how this works out.

Just want to report back on Google Fi ( only available for US) basically you pay $20 on phone plan and each addition GB in $10.
Data can be used in 130+ countries with any extra charge and if you dont use up the data they actually refund you the left over

During my trip to Japan, the data run on 3G network.
I am able to make call via IP phone (Skype, Google Voice... other options) to place such as agencies (ex JK Style) then they will call back to the hotel to confirm your room number .

There is also way to get a Japan voice number with other cloud service, I setup one but never need to use it. ( Technical skills required)
The only real draw back is to sign up Fi you need one of google nexus phone or pixel. But once sign up you can use the sim on any other phone.

Reactions: TAG Manager