Guest viewing is limited

Blocking VPN addresses?

MikeH

Presumably Male
Reaction score
Are you blocking some VPN addresses at the moment? Couldn't connect to the site before I changed my settings.

Are you blocking some VPN addresses at the moment? Couldn't connect to the site before I changed my settings.
We actively block VPNs that are detected. I can bet you that someone was doing something they shouldn't have been to get the IP blocked. (There are three levels of blocks happening, some are soft blocks and others are hard blocks where it's just a flat packet drop.)

There's really no reason to use a VPN here unless you're trying to mask yourself from whomever's watching you locally. All it does for us is trigger suspicion and skew the site stats. (So many romanians here for some reason. :rolleyes:)

Reactions: Another2011
There's really no reason to use a VPN here unless you're trying to mask yourself from whomever's watching you locally.

Some of the premises I am accessing the net from do run everything through VPN from their firewalls so it's not like I have a choice.

Some of the premises I am accessing the net from do run everything through VPN from their firewalls so it's not like I have a choice.
Interesting... I don't think any of the professional VPN's get blocked. Hmmm.
That sounds more like a proxy than a VPN.

Noted though, will keep this in mind.

Romanians?
Those cheap/free VPN's are usually hosted from Romania where there is no oversight there.
Thus, people using those services look like they are in Romania 'cause that's where the service endpoint is.

explains "where" people are logging in from even if they claim to be somewhere else....... Probably including net robots......

Some people use VPNs constantly... that said mine has never caused problems on this site

Reactions: MikeH
Often when I was working in an office I have VPN setup so I could access blocked sites. I set up my own VPNs. However I don't have that issue anymore.

Some people use VPNs constantly... that said mine has never caused problems on this site

Me neither, before today. Full disclosure: I am actually running through a different VPN tunnel...