Boredom And Insomnia.

Jennifer Maddingly

Make tokyo Unforgettable
Reaction score
So more often than not recently I am finding myself lying in bed, staring at the ceiling, counting sheep or contemplating going to donki hote to buy sleeping medication. Only to be completely turned off by the idea of bumping into drunk former colleagues or hosts who have nothing better to do than hit on girls innocently buying drugs (medicinal you guys, geez)

Taking into account I have sex for a living(i.e.; masturbation doesn't help), what are some good insomnia remedies? Or at least something I can do that doesn't involve staring at a bright screen in the dark or leaving my house...

So more often than not recently I am finding myself lying in bed, staring at the ceiling, counting sheep or contemplating going to donki hote to buy sleeping medication. Only to be completely turned off by the idea of bumping into drunk former colleagues or hosts who have nothing better to do than hit on girls innocently buying drugs (medicinal you guys, geez)

Taking into account I have sex for a living(i.e.; masturbation doesn't help), what are some good insomnia remedies? Or at least something I can do that doesn't involve staring at a bright screen in the dark or leaving my house...

It's a difficult question to answer...it may sound very weird to you, but one thing I can recommend is to tie your legs just above the knees before trying to fall in sleep on the bed. It's better use towel or something soft. You may think it's uncomfortable, but it's a known therapy in Japan. Please refer to the below website. Sorry it's in Japanese but you can see some pictures at the bottom side of this site.
http://matome.naver.jp/odai/2144644623899797701

It's a difficult question to answer...it may sound very weird to you, but one thing I can recommend is to tie your legs just above the knees before trying to fall in sleep on the bed. It's better use towel or something soft. You may think it's uncomfortable, but it's a known therapy in Japan. Please refer to the below website. Sorry it's in Japanese but you can see some pictures at the bottom side of this site.
http://matome.naver.jp/odai/2144644623899797701
Thanks for the tip! Also I can read Japanese (not 100% but enough to get through the article)

Seems like it's meant to give you better posture too no?

Reactions: AliceInWonderland

try listening to a scientific conference on youtube
I'm not kidding, I have a friend who always do that and he's not into science :D

A classic technique is to stand at the foot of your bed an read a book. The combination of the mental exertion of reading and physical exertion of standing and holding the book work to help you become properly sleepy. I find Dostoevsky works very well for this purpose.... his books are not only deep and an involved read, they are also large and heavy. :)

@Anna Summer mentions a technique that is new to me in this post:

https://tokyoadultguide.com/threads/what-do-you-do-to-relieve-stress-after-work.12673/#post-84713

"Sounds" interesting...or maybe I should say "sounds" soporific! ;)

-Ww

I even used this technique during busy school days back in Germany. Not sure how I even got into it. But that was my last straw I could hold on when nothing else worked ;) might not work for everyone but for at least me, it really calms me down and let's me drift into a rather good sleep. And fast.

I even used this technique during busy school days back in Germany. Not sure how I even got into it. But that was my last straw I could hold on when nothing else worked ;) might not work for everyone but for at least me, it really calms me down and let's me drift into a rather good sleep. And fast.

I used to use binaural beats to take short, powerful naps in lieu of full nights of sleep when cramming for exams in university.. It was surprisingly effective

I'd like to try the binaural beats thing sometime, but I hardly ever have trouble sleeping...

-Ww

I don't know why, but when I have trouble sleeping I put on some 90's R&B. I know some of you probably use it "to set the mood" but its relaxing to me and 9 times out of 10 I'm asleep in like 20 min.

I have sleeping problems myself sometimes. What can you possibly buy at donki hote - without prescription - that is helpful?
It's called ドリエル
It does knock me out if one time i cant sleep but the next day i feel tired anyway and i think you get resisted pretty quicky if you would take it regulary.

Jennifer, did you try melatonine? It's hard to get in japan but i have some.
And you said reading makes you sleepy, right?

Reactions: Lars Lust
I'd like to try the binaural beats thing sometime, but I hardly ever have trouble sleeping...

-Ww

I'm of this hateful variety too.. I lie down and wham, gone. The only exception is when I'm (very frequently) on a plane. Then darn, for the life of me, I could be tired and lying flat and still, hard to catch a wink.

Reactions: Wwanderer
The only exception is when I'm (very frequently) on a plane. Then darn, for the life of me, I could be tired and lying flat and still, hard to catch a wink.

I had that same, very unpleasant and counter-productive, problem for ages too...decades. I finally beat it to some degree as follows: No alcohol for 24 hours before the flight or on it, over-the-counter sleeping pills (such as Tylenol PM) in addition to melatonin, eye-mask, ear plugs, not thinking about the sexy women waiting at the end of the flight (if there are any), and getting old.

-Ww

Reactions: AliceInWonderland
I had that same, very unpleasant and counter-productive, problem for ages too...decades. I finally beat it to some degree as follows: No alcohol for 24 hours before the flight or on it, over-the-counter sleeping pills (such as Tylenol PM) in addition to melatonin, eye-mask, ear plugs, not thinking about the sexy women waiting at the end of the flight (if there are any), and getting old.

-Ww
Basic respiratory techniques work quite well with me. I mean... emptying my mind, deep breathing, counting five seconds when breathing in, three seconds holding, five second breathing out....
Just by counting, you're focusing on one task and tend to forget everything else.

More specifically about flights, I usually sleep quite well now in business class seats or comfortable premium eco. Turbulences are quite stressful for the brain. They activate a lot of circuitry on the amygdala, generating fear (it s shaking, there is something frightening). Such fear emotion is then mitigated/inhibited by the pre frontal cortex (calm down...). By announcing in advance turbulences, pilots are basically telling your pre frontal cortex to be ready to inhibit quickly such fear signals.

By having a better understanding of such circuitry and after reading reports from senior pilots explaining that turbulences are not alarming at all, I tend to be less tired/ more relax.

Turbulences are quite stressful for the brain. They activate a lot of circuitry on the amygdala, generating fear (it s shaking, there is something frightening). Such fear emotion is then mitigated/inhibited by the pre frontal cortex (calm down...). By announcing in advance turbulences, pilots are basically telling your pre frontal cortex to be ready to inhibit quickly such fear signals.

Unless it is really violent shaking that rattles everything around, turbulence usually puts me right to sleep, even if I'm not tired. WALDT in another context I guess.

-Ww

Reactions: MikeH
I'd read something. Not your favorite author, because then you won't want to put the book down, but something that seems a bit interesting, but can give you the mental exercise to knock you out. That, or pop The Neverending Story in the dvd player. Puts me to sleep in 7 mins guaranteed XD

If you belong to the National Health Service here in Japan just go to the hospital and tell the Dr ur under a lot of stress and they'll drop a script on you so you can fall asleep.......and probably no questions asked.

Reactions: Sudsy
If you have time for counting sheeps you must have time to correct your quotes on your TAG profile page...
:whistle:

Well seeming how I work with a sleep study doctor for a living, I will tell you what he told me which should help out in the beginning and at least help you see results.
1) Set a time for going to bed (simple enough but scheduling what time you want to go to bed and sticking to it will actually help you out as your body recognizes your sleep patterns.)
2) Do not have any white light on, meaning if you like to watch TV before you go to bed or go to sleep with it on. (What you are actually doing is tricking your brain into believing that the sun is out and therefor you will not end up getting that sleep that you want to have)
3) I can not stress this enough NO CAFFEINE after 12.
4) Also NO ALCOHOL before bed. Yes you knock out faster but you will not go through the restorative REM cycle of sleep your body needs
5) Laying in your bed and doing ABSOLUTELY nothing
6) Benedryl because let's face it 50mg of this lovely medication is strong enough to knock anyone out, just FYI you might want dedicate about 8-9 hours of sleep after taking said medication.

Sounds like "Sleep Hygiene" eh? It works really well for set schedules and I'm not a biggie fan of Medications for sleep since dependency sucks (not to mention the grogginess when you wake up.) But it does help to get you back into the groove of things.

Sooner or later you're body is just going to crash. Miss @Jennifer Maddingly you must set a set amount of sleep for your body to recover. Either 4-6 or 8 hours. If you sleep less then take naps through out the day but if you sleep. I trained myself to function in College for 4 hours of sleep then established short naps in between classes or during lunch breaks. It sucked at first but it gave me the energy to be productive without relying on caffeine, nicotine or medications.

Good kuck and I hope you've been getting some sleep. Good night lol