Walk-in

Appointment Length & Costs:
-

Type/Location:
Gotanda

Language Notes:
Japanese only

Details of the Encounter:
So after a disappointing stint at Rush, I decided to try out Lion Heart as reviewed by someone else on the forum.

I have to say first that this review is more of some friendly advice to not waste your time more than a review. So please skip if you are looking for an actual review. Sorry.

I'll clarify first that tencho let me in because I am south east Asian, and since my wardrobe is mainly Japanese fashion he probably thought I was Japanese.

Went in, asked straight up for the web 1000yen discount but tencho said that it was only available in the later part of the day or something (not very clear on this, he could be talking about long course) Bummer.

Ok so I handed him 10man and chose the 6500 course. The counter guy was already preparing change for me, but here was when shit happened. He approached me in full on rapid machine-gun mode Japanese to ask me if I wanted to try "new people", and that he was willing to give me a discount for me.
Normally I could have answered it (although not natively for sure) but the music was so loud and just had to be reaching the beat drop (edm) that I couldn't hear anything at all and kept saying 'sumimasen' to ask him to repeat, while also taking long pauses to even understand what he said because most words he said were softer than the music. I wouldn't think that at 20+ I'm starting to lose my hearing? Granted, my Japanese isn't that great but at least I could have still heard what he said if not for the music. Or maybe I'm just losing my hearing. :unsure:

Of course it didn't take him long and he asked me straight up if I was Japanese. I was sick of shouting in the midst of loud edm so I just said no, ready to leave. As expected he told me apologetically the shop is meant for Japanese only, took out the 10man and returned it to me while apologizing. Pretty good service I would say, compared to some other shops. So off I left. Or so I thought.

2 minutes walk out, he ran to me to ask me to return to the shop. Now of course if you were new you would think that he wants your business back, but being a slightly more experienced punter I knew this wasn't really the case. But either way I decided to follow him back, probably because of his pretty good treatment awhile back.

So I went back in the shop, confused. He quickly asked if I gave a 1000yen note or 10man note just now. Well anyone who hears this would have probably entered full on MonkaS mode, knowing full well that tencho is probably going to cheat you of your money. Of course I replied I gave 10man. So the receptionist took out all (did I say, ALL? ) and slowly counted each bill and coin while looking at the screen on his left to double-check. I pressed and insisted that I paid 10man awhile back, but couldn't do much as tencho just asked me to wait.

A dreaded long 5 minutes later, the receptionist confirmed that there was no problem, the tencho thanked me and requested nicely for me to leave again.

Sad that I couldn't try Lion Heart which was highly reviewed, but am glad that I didn't get my 10man magically turned into a 1k note. I'm happy that they still have morality, and I commend them for that haha.

If anyone can recommend any other pinsaro willing to take slightly less ok Japanese speaking customers feel free to contribute (y)

Final Thoughts:
Not Recommended.

Closing Comments:
Only recommended if you are really fluent in Japanese and pass as a Japanese. Don't bother even entering otherwise and save your time for something else. Or you might just have to wax your ears and pray that no loud edm drops on you.

Sad that I couldn't try Lion Heart which was highly reviewed, but am glad that I didn't get my 10man magically turned into a 1k note. I'm happy that they still have morality, and I commend them for that haha.
Wow....

This is a story for the books, the whole thing sounds like a bad drama.

Thanks for sharing the experience.

Approved: 8/21/2019

Thanks for the warning and this is genuinely pretty surprising. I mean, you've already paid, you established that you could communicate decently and they even assumed at first you were Japanese--at that point, regardless of actual ethnicity, I would've figured they'd just say "fuck it" and go with it. And in Gotanda, of all places, where every other shop on the street is full of non-Japanese Asians. At least they were very business-like about the money.

I know I mention it often, but when in Gotanda you can't go wrong with Tonbo. The Korean girls there don't give two shits where you're from and the 80-min Akasuri Course is always a great way to kick off a day of getting fall-down drunk at my favorite bar down the street and then picking up a mini bottle of nice champagne at that liquor store under the station and chugging it on the platform while I wait for the train back to Tokyo.

Well, must have been pretty weird experience. Why would anyone think you tried to pay 6.500 course with one 1.000 yen note to begin with?

Though I was also baffled by the mentioning of the 10man too. You most probably meant 1 man note.

Well, must have been pretty weird experience. Why would anyone think you tried to pay 6.500 course with one 1.000 yen note to begin with?

Though I was also baffled by the mentioning of the 10man too. You most probably meant 1 man note.
Yeah I meant 1man, sorry for the confusion. It was a really weird experience, truly one of its kind. If you guys do go just be extra careful lest you be forced to watch magic happen in front of your eyes :D

Yeah thats what I assumed too. No need to give 10man in the first place

Yeah I meant 1man, sorry for the confusion. It was a really weird experience, truly one of its kind. If you guys do go just be extra careful lest you be forced to watch magic happen in front of your eyes :D
Ah ok, sorry did not read that far when I replied above.