Guest viewing is limited

Suggestion Can we develop a Japan resident-only part of TAG?

Tokidoki

Ruler of None
Reaction score
Title is self-explanatory. This isn't a major diss to tourists in general but the quality has sunk to the bottom of the barrel when it comes to manners & general decency.
We don't need to make it all shitty like the Reddit version, please.

Title is self-explanatory. This isn't a major diss to tourists in general but the quality has sunk to the bottom of the barrel when it comes to manners & general decency.
We don't need to make it all shitty like the Reddit version, please.
As much as I can appreciate this sentiment, I have to disagree with this one as it would become infeasible.

The biggest and most obvious issue would be determining those who live here from those who don’t. I am not going to upload my proof of residence to the site to confirm that I am a registered manwhore—with recent events regarding high profile politicians across the world even as a lowly nobody the long term risks here are just not worth it.

The second biggest issue is choosing what forums stay and which go. While we should safeguard places and advice that would go harmfully in the arsenal a zero Japanese-ability tourist, in all likelihood nothing would be shared publicly at some point, in which case this no longer would be a “guide” but a fan club that is borderline impossible to get into without overcoming unrealistic challenges.

Last edited:
As much as I'd really like to just round all the tourists up and confine them to a particular space where we can just ignore them, they're not going away. At least with the status quo, SOME of them are getting an education. If we stick them all in the gulag, then more of them will be causing problems when they arrive.

But that said - a section that could only be accessed by local IP addresses or vetted members would not be a horrible idea.

Honestly, it would be a bit troublesome to really make that work but it's not a terrible idea.
From a technology standpoint, I don't have a easy way to automate this and of course, visitors using local connections would technically be in the 'resident' group for at least the time they are actually in-country. (it's easy to see where people are connecting from, but ID'ing tourists from residents requires a more complex algorithm that I don't have written...)

I am not going to upload my proof of residence to the site to confirm that I am a registered manwhore
Would never require people to do this for something like this.

I understand the frustration and we're already in stages to help improve content layout and accessibility for different levels of members, etc. (Improvements upon what we already have in place..)

I've seen many a forum die because of similar separations. The "local gang" will hang out in their private part of the forum while the tourists will swamp the public part, continue to ask the same questions but get fewer answers and then people will stop going here because they realise there's no point being on here.

I've seen many a forum die because of similar separations. The "local gang" will hang out in their private part of the forum while the tourists will swamp the public part, continue to ask the same questions but get fewer answers and then people will stop going here because they realise there's no point being on here.

Fair point and seeing people who dont even play here ripping the newbies to pieces is not necessarily productive.

The difference though is the people who value all the great wealth of information available here before making their first post. Spend a few hours looking through the forum before blasting away and everyone is a happy camper.

Last edited:
Blocking posting privileges until a certain condition is met is a fairly common method. Should reduce some of the "Hey I just landed here" type posts.
once people know this, it can also be easily 'cheated' by doing 'me too' posts and/or short/non-sensical posts

Reactions: Alice
once people know this, it can also be easily 'cheated' by doing 'me too' posts and/or short/non-sensical posts
Luckily, there is no automated system to judge this anymore. We promote people by manually reviewing content (especially reviews).
If I see that someone has 500 posts but most of it is posting memes or just low quality content, they aren't going to be looked at for a promotion.
People are mostly aware that TAG has private parts* and that's actually noted in the new joining message, but our guidelines are not published.

*pun intended.

Fair point and seeing people who dont even play here ripping the newbies to pieces is not necessarily productive.

Maybe not productive but often very cathartic and fun as hell.

Reactions: IamLegend and Alice
Revisiting this careless suggestion, later realizing that it's probably a bad idea. I only brought up the Reddit version since they kick people out who actually live here. In hindsight, I don't want this place to turn into a shit show like the Reddit cesspool.

Revisiting this careless suggestion, later realizing that it's probably a bad idea. I only brought up the Reddit version since they kick people out who actually live here. In hindsight, I don't want this place to turn into a shit show like the Reddit cesspool.
Just asking for a friend of course, but whats this Reddit cesspool?

Japanlife is horrendous. They deadass permabanned me without warning for not being a resident. Now, technically true since I'm leaving next month but for the duration of my visa, I am one.

And the best part is that the comment I made apparently "sounded touristy" or something lol.

Also, if people think the old guard here is gatekeepy and looks down on people who don't live here, then they haven't met the elitist "expats" (everywhere else they'd be called what they are: immigrants) on that sub

Japanlife is horrendous. They deadass permabanned me without warning for not being a resident. Now, technically true since I'm leaving next month but for the duration of my visa, I am one.

Stuff like that is just immensely stupid. I mean there are enough expats who have been living in Japan for ages, still don't speak the language and haven't integrated a bit. Being a resident doesn't automatically mean that you are part of the culture and less of an annoyance🤣

Community building based on bureaucratical papers instead of personality is a pretty horrendous idea

Community building based on bureaucratical papers instead of personality is a pretty horrendous idea

Well considering that the other hot topics lately have been discussing dick sizes and meeting guys in public toilets I think it fits right in!

Well considering that the other hot topics lately have been discussing dick sizes and meeting guys in public toilets I think it fits right in!
Damn! I missed the public toilets one ! Searching now

Reactions: MikeH
Yeah, guys meeting inside public toilets is the hot shit in Osaka right now 👺

They don't even need just to talk about dick sizes but can take the initiative in their own hands!

And the best part is that the comment I made apparently "sounded touristy" or something lol.

Also, if people think the old guard here is gatekeepy and looks down on people who don't live here, then they haven't met the elitist "expats" (everywhere else they'd be called what they are: immigrants) on that sub
I live here and they still permabanned me for no reason. They don't take kindly to any kind of common sense or logical reasoning.

This, I think.
The moderators there are of very low quality, iMHO.
Thanks Karen
Just looking at the threads titles it looks like half of them were created by our regretted … damn forgot his name… micro-agressions guy