Guest viewing is limited

Cigarettes in Japan

piripappa

TAG Member
Reaction score
Anyone got recommendations for Japanese Ciggs? I really like menthols as well as sweeter ones, the colder the better!
And I also noticed the scarcity of designated smoking areas in Kyoto so I was wondering where I could light up especially since my place isn't nearby central areas or commercial spaces. Thank you!

Just smoke where it doesn't annoy people, parking lot or wherever is suitable. Check where Japanese people go for their cigarette break 😅
Nowadays smoking is forbidden nearly everywhere outside so you have to see where might be ok in your part of town......and take your cigarette buds with you.

i vaguely remember some of those Marlboros having a 'bead' in the filter .. after lighting up, one bites on the filter to crack the bead and give a strong menthol hit

areas in Kyoto
being foreigner alone is enough to trigger 'some' old people in Kyoto .. sigh

Reactions: Alice
Back when I smoked Mild 7 were fucking amazing. I think they are called Mebius or something now. No idea if they are still delicious but.

JPS were mine. Tasted close enough to the Player's Specials from back home.

I never smoked, but a friend used to have me send him Golden Bat cigarettes, the oldest brand in Japan (1906) unfiltered and harsh as hell. Golden Bats were favored by a lot of old-school Japanese writers like Akutagawa and Rampo, and often appear in their books. I believe they are still made, but are very hard to find.

i vaguely remember some of those Marlboros having a 'bead' in the filter .. after lighting up, one bites on the filter to crack the bead and give a strong menthol hit
You may be talking about Marlboro NXTs, before I quit they were my go to pack. Last I heard they were banned in the EU, not sure if they are still available in the US.

• Wow
Reactions: scorpioni6ths
You may be talking about Marlboro NXTs, before I quit they were my go to pack. Last I heard they were banned in the EU, not sure if they are still available in the US.
Interestingly Canada banned all menthol cigs a few years ago. A quarter of menthol smokers quit smoking afterwards, fifty percent switched to non-menthol, and the remainder seem to be getting them via the post from the US.

Interestingly Canada banned all menthol cigs a few years ago. A quarter of menthol smokers quit smoking afterwards, fifty percent switched to non-menthol, and the remainder seem to be getting them via the post from the US.

Given menthol is overwhelmingly the cig of choice for Black smokers in that part of the world that’s quite an interesting move. Or maybe it’s part of the cause to unravel all of the targeted marketing... 🤔

I no longer smoke cigs but when I did I did it at my desk at work, in the back of airplanes, and at my seat on the trains from Narita.

I no longer smoke cigs but when I did I did it at my desk at work, in the back of airplanes, and at my seat on the trains from Narita.
Same here... though I continued for a while after they extended the cessation to international flights.

Reactions: CharlieSimms
I never smoked, but a friend used to have me send him Golden Bat cigarettes, the oldest brand in Japan (1906) unfiltered and harsh as hell. Golden Bats were favored by a lot of old-school Japanese writers like Akutagawa and Rampo, and often appear in their books. I believe they are still made, but are very hard to find.
Golden Bats had the absolute best packaging ever.
I remember hearing they were made from the scraps of other cigarette production which made up for the super low cost - not sure if that's true or not, though.

Unfortunately it looks like they stopped production a while back along with Echo - the cheap-ass cigarettes every guy I used to play with in a band smoked 20 years ago, haha.

Can't provide any actual useful info though, I'm afraid, as I only ever smoked cloves here!