Civil damages for infidelity

nailedit

TAG Member
Reaction score
I've got a friend from the U.K. living here with his Japanese wife. He's gotten close to a Japanese lady here, spending time together but they never had sex. However his wife found out about the other woman and is threatening to sue them. I know you can be sued for infidelity but can you be sued when you've not actually had sex with the person? Where is the line drawn in Japan where civil damages may be incurred?

If the wife finds out about the affair, that may be all she needs to get a couple of million yen from the other woman. I have one close Japanese girlfriend who was seeing a married man and his wife found out. She wound up paying something like 2-3 million yen. (They were having sex, but not sure if the wife really knew that or not.)

All that money,and didn't even know if they were having sex. That's crazy! Where is the line?

All that money,and didn't even know if they were having sex. That's crazy! Where is the line?
Ok, so I quickly asked a Japanese friend about more specifics:

- In a case where a married man is seeing a woman while separated from his wife, 1 million yen is the normal amount.
- In a case where they are not separated, it's likely more.
- The case I know about, the wife was particularly greedy and the case went on for 2 years before settling for 2 million yen.

Proof:
There has to be some sort of proof, which is usually gathered by a private detective. Otherwise, photos, mail messages, LINE messages that add some proof to the fact that meetings were occurring, are typical. Photos gathered by a private detective are very common apparently.

Hope this helps a bit...

Ok, so I quickly asked a Japanese friend about more specifics:

- In a case where a married man is seeing a woman while separated from his wife, 1 million yen is the normal amount.
- The case I know about, the wife was particularly greedy and the case went on for 2 years before settling for 2 million yen.

Proof:
There has to be some sort of proof, which is usually gathered by a private detective. Otherwise, photos, mail messages, LINE messages that add some proof to the fact that meetings were occurring, are typical. Photos gathered by a private detective are very common apparently.

Hope this helps a bit...
what kind of photo ? does just being sitting together in a café or a bar count or does it have to be photos of intimate action ?

Reactions: AliceInWonderland

Proof:

Hope this helps a bit...

The damages are generally capped at three million for infidelity, and it's a fairly common figure to be awarded in cases of blatant infidelity. As Tag Manager says, if they are separated or undergoing divorce proceedings, the amount is typically lowered by a large margin. It's also worth noting that the third wheel can also be sued for the same amount.

A lady friend of mine was hit for three million for sleeping with her (married) boss.

what kind of photo ? does just being sitting together in a café or a bar count or does it have to be photos of intimate action ?

In the case of my friend that was sued, they had photos of her and her boss going into a love hotel together.

How could that be taken as a proof of infidelity ?

If you seem happy it must be a proof! :p

Don't know how many cases there are yearly in courts but would guess not that many. Wouldn't think your average Yamada would like to be know publicly being cuckold.

The only case I know a girl had to pay (bit over a million yens) for an affair was a case where the husband was "associated with anti-social forces" in other words was a member, or a hang-around.

Does getting caught with p4p count in court cases too?

It doesn't count unless say the husband or whomever was spending a majority of his income on it or maybe too involved with one specific girl.

The p4p can't be sued unless she constantly sends messages to make him come see her.

It doesn't count unless say the husband or whomever was spending a majority of his income on it or maybe too involved with one specific girl.

The p4p can't be sued unless she constantly sends messages to make him come see her.

How the hell do you know all that stuff?!!! :eek::wideyed::cyclops:

Does getting caught with p4p count in court cases too?

Generally the courts regard P4P as a business transaction, the same as a massage or a haircut.

Unless the spouse was overdoing it to the point of financial ruin, it's not even accepted as grounds for divorce most of the time.

Unless the spouse was overdoing it to the point of financial ruin, it's not even accepted as grounds for divorce most of the time.
Yup. I don't know personally of any case that went as far as the bolded part... but definitely have heard it before in passing.

I'm not sure but even outside p4p I think the wife can sue the girl only if it's a long relation ship, not a one night stand.
I think it's kinda weird that the mistress is the one sued for compensation while she doesn't owe anyone in the matter.

Reactions: AliceInWonderland