Guest viewing is limited

Clingy & Territorial Partners

User#6517

TAG Member
Reaction score
When you're in a serious relationship or just started dating someone you're serious about.. do you like it when the girl/guy acts clingy and gets jealous easily? Or are they major turn-offs for you?

Personally, I don't mind when a guy gives me a fair amount of attention.. or when he gets a tad bit jealous if other guys like me. I find it somewhat cute.. but don't like being a guy's "property" and don't like it when a guy doesn't believe that I can possibly be busy. I like space and boundaries.. :p

That really depends on how clingy the person is. I tried to date a half Japanese and half phillipino guy and he was so clingy and annoying it completely turned me off. He even followed me to the train station and into the train without me knowing. One day he waited at my station to 'surprise' me. Attention is nice imo but not THAT kind of.
Another guy was Japanese and we first agreed to just meet regular for casual sex. Well he didn't just wanted to have sex and basically was after a relationship and would contact me a few times a day and even 'stalking' if I've been online somewhere. If I didn't answered his messages after a certain amount of time he got angry and was sending nasty text messages.

A 'good' example with a guy I used to date: he once said that he doesn't want me to think about other guys and if I wanna watch something while masturbating he would send me pictures haha. I thought that was pretty hot and he was more dominant. Kinda liked that. Not the bad side of being jealous and not stalkerish. It's usually the best to find something in the middle.

Last edited:
When you're in a serious relationship or just started dating someone you're serious about.. do you like it when the girl/guy acts clingy and gets jealous easily? Or are they major turn-offs for you?

Mostly a turn-off. I had a life before I met them and I don't intend on abandoning my friends or things I like to do.... I'm fine with making plans for a date or a night out, but I don't like it when someone expects me to drop everything for them on short notice. My job absorbs a lot of time and it's appreciated that they respect that it is my career and needs a bit of serious attention from time to time (i.e. long hours when I have something big going on)

@Anna Summer - that's nuts, in both cases.

One thing I like about this society in Japan, it's rare to invite someone to your place unless you're in a serious relationship. I'll tell people which station I live near, but not much more than that. I don't want someone showing up at my door even if it's for a 'good' surprise. When I first moved to Japan, I thought this practice was really odd... but now I really like it, haha.

@TAG Manager
Very true! It's very rare that you invite someone to your house. There are hotel options everywhere and so many restaurants or places to hang out.
Well that guy once followed me without me noticing it in the first place. That's kinda creepy...

Like most people, I do enjoy a certain amount of attention, but someone who gets jealous (angrily jealous, not jokey/pouty jealous) in the early stages is an instant turn-off.

my first girlfriend was jealous as hell, that was always a turn off, once she got furious because i ordered a drink from a female bartender... needless to say, i dislike it and from my point of view nearly every kind of jealousy is territorial behaviour and a try to claim humans as property... everybody should have the right to speak to whomever they want to and surprise surprise, not everybody wants to fuck your partner... i actually think jealousy, or at least shown jealousy just shows inferiority and fear...

and btw,its not that rare to get invited to peoples apartments...

The "i am waiting at your station without prior notice" happened to me before as well. That was a big turn-off. As i was not much into her and nothing had really started yet (for me) I prefered to end the relationship.
Clingy is ok to a certain extent i guess.

I like to be together as much as possible (not like regular Japanese couples) but i don't apprechiate someone showing up without telling me before.

Also it's nice if a man can safe me from unwanted attention but i don't need someone who makes a fuss if someone else looks at me or who tells me what to wear and stuff like that.
I actually like it when a guy wants to show me off a little rather than keep me away from others (open relationship-swingers vibe).

Girls showing up unannounced is a huge no for me. And girls constantly demanding to know where I am or what I'm doing and getting angry if I don't respond immediately is annoying too. But I think it's cute when they say "don't nanpa any cute girls today" or non-needily want to hear my voice before they go to sleep or that kind of thing.

I find it also interesting how much Japanese guys try to control girls.. A lot of guys (according to j girls) check their LINE conversations and contacts.

Girls showing up unannounced is a huge no for me. And girls constantly demanding to know where I am or what I'm doing and getting angry if I don't respond immediately is annoying too. But I think it's cute when they say "don't nanpa any cute girls today" or non-needily want to hear my voice before they go to sleep or that kind of thing.

I find it also interesting how much Japanese guys try to control girls.. A lot of guys (according to j girls) check their LINE conversations and contacts.

No matter how much I love that person I would never show them my private messages. Huge no go!

Ok, please tell me if I am being territorial and overreacting. The other day I had to cancel a date with one of my "friends". (I cancelled 4 days in advance so it was not really rude.) She got mad and responded by sending me a naked picture of herself. That would usually be a good thing, but it was not a selfie and it was obviously taken in a hotel by another guy. I guess her message was that if I won't meet her then other people will. But I don't like thinking about and I have been annoyed with her ever since.

Last edited:
Reactions: MissInsomnia
Ok, please tell me if I am being territorial and overreacting. The other day I had to cancel a date with one of my "friends". (I cancelled 4 days in advance so it was not really rude.) She got mad and responded by sending me a naked picture of herself. That would usually be a good thing, but it was not a selfie and it was obviously taken in a hotel by another guy. I guess her message was that if I won't meet her then other people will. But I don't like thinking about and I have been annoyed with her ever since.

Whack. I would be quite turned off. Not at the fact that she was seeing other guys - I really don't care about that. Just that she was tactless enough to think that would be a good strategy. I don't like girls who are histrionic

That's just childish!

I used to be the clingy partner when I was younger. Not phone snooping (still wasn't popular during that time), or stalking thing. I just wanted too much "us" time. Then I matured :) If p4p taught me anything, it is accepting the time you have with your date. Making the most out of it. You can't be clingy, you can't be jealous. You learn to always let go. I value "alone" time more nowadays. My sentiments in a song ... Side of the Road

Clingy and jealous/territorial mean rather different things to me. Within rather ample limits I am fine with my partner wanting attention, but even small amounts of (real, not joking) jealous behavior is a deal breaker for me.

This difference is reflected in my own behavior (to the extent I perceive it accurately). I sometimes want a fair amount of attention in a serious relationship, but I am VERY rarely even slightly jealous. Perhaps oddly, the latter has caused more relationship friction for me than the former.

-Ww

Clingy and jealous/territorial mean rather different things to me. Within rather ample limits I am fine with my partner wanting attention, but even small amounts of (real, not joking) jealous behavior is a deal breaker for me.

This difference is reflected in my own behavior (to the extent I perceive it accurately). I sometimes want a fair amount of attention in a serious relationship, but I am VERY rarely even slightly jealous. Perhaps oddly, the latter has caused more relationship friction for me than the former.

-Ww
Same. Clingy yes, jealous no.

About 8 years old, might be the first piece of advice I remember getting about women was from some older kid on my street who unfortunately aint alive no more (rip). We were playing this game we made up kinda like squash but with a football (soccer ball), kicking it against side of someone's house. He was like 'girls are just like footballs, harder you kick it away faster it comes back'. something like that. kid was proper damaged in a lot of ways, and most people wont admit it but there's truth in there if you don't take it literally. Not just girls neither

He even followed me to the train station and into the train without me knowing.

Had a GF like that once in college. She secretly stole my dublicate key without me knowing, Randomly stopped by and caught me banging another girl. I was wrong for cheating but blamed her for breaking into my place, Stealing and invading my privacy. We broke up but remain good friends still to this day. When ever I tell anyone about it they freak out but I didn't really get too mad with her. I guess we were just young, wild, careless and free.

A little bit jealousy is ok and normal I think, at least if you are engaged in an exclusive relationship. If you really care for something it's just normal to also have some fear to lose it. Of course it also pampers one owns ego.
But it's a thin line, if one tries to limit or control the other. That means there is a lack of trust.
In the beginning especially when a relationship isn't really established yet, it's a no go.
Being clingy... I believe in doing a lot together and not having separate lives. However I also believe that everyone needs some space for themselves.
If you mean it more physically, well, I like a lot of cuddling, hugging etc. :whistle:

I dont mind my partner being a bit clingy, but to the extreme of it turning to jealously is a major turn off. Giving and receiving attention in a relationship is a given, but when it comes to the point that you have to spend time with them 24/7, due to them having jealousy is too overwhelming for me.

I'm also in the camp of: no unexpected house visits, surprise calls from the train station, or stalking. That's an end to the relationship.

I've dated very jealous Japanese women and was stalked before. Tremendously disliked those situations. So if a woman gives me signs of such behavior, I start to create distance or end it. Especially, since I embrace the swinger lifestyle, I prefer women who aren't jealous or selfish types. I have/do however get into non-swinging polyamorous relationships, which is good too.

Another group of negative behavior I'm not comfortable with, is a woman that tries to check up on you too much or acts like a jail warden (often due to insecurities). Particularly, when they are overly suspicious. Excessive probing questions, accusations, trying to break into my phone or search through my stuff, etc... I'm not a prisoner in a jail, and don't want any woman treating me like such, so will break off any such negative relationships.

Clingy, as to what exactly that is, can be more complicated. It's more case by case, and depends on the type of women. Some women are more submissive/masochistic types, so want their man to exert more control or dominance over them. I'm comfortable being a Dom, so the relationship can function very well at that level. My relationships are not always of that nature, and I can hook up with more independent or strong personality type women, as that can work well too.

My issue with clingy, is more if the woman is too immature/childish, too crazy, lacks intelligence, too silly, or doesn't know how to give any space. I find such women can be more like spoiled brat children, who create too much drama. That doesn't make for a good relationship. However, there are women, who make a bit of clingy or childish behavior work, so it's a more "depends" type of thing. Usually such women are very aware of what they are doing and are intelligent, so it's more of a role they like to play/be in, and has a kind of submissive vibe (but not quite). Sinapse description was kind of close, so we may be talking about similar behavior.

my friends gf is much like that... message every ten minutes, he has to pick her up from every station, wherever we are, if shes not with us, he has to leave earlier (or maybe thinks he has to), recently he had to leave after an hour to show her family around (after 10pm, and he was already doing that for the past days and had a full weekend of that before him)... i wish i could find the words to tell him how crappy that is and sometimes i do (i say it to her), but i guess some just choose their luck...

so what i wanted to say is another problem for me with clingy and territorial partners is when it affects "innocent bystanders", too...