Guest viewing is limited

Cycling Adventures in Japan

roots reggae

Officially Unverified
Reaction score
After spending eleven months recuperating from a dual knee replacement, I got back in the saddle this past April.

I'm feeling frisky enough to attempt my first road trip this weekend. The bike and I are heading off to Wakayama and Mie to head up the coast, Kushimoto to Toba.

I just bought a new travel camera, a Panasonic Lumix DMC-TX1, and hope to figure out enough to take a few pics, and will post the best, if there are any.

Wish me luck, as this old man takes off on another adventure. I'll be staying at a few onsens there and will report on them, as well.

mie toba to kushimoto map.JPG

I'm deviating a little from the map along the northern coast, just before Owase and hugging the coast near Shima, as well. The total should approach 300 kilometers.

After spending eleven months recuperating from a dual knee replacement, I got back in the saddle this past April.

I'm feeling frisky enough to attempt my first road trip this weekend. The bike and I are heading off to Wakayama and Mie to head up the coast, Kushimoto to Toba.

I just bought a new travel camera, a Panasonic Lumix DMC-TX1, and hope to figure out enough to take a few pics, and will post the best, if there are any.

Wish me luck, as this old man takes off on another adventure. I'll be staying at a few onsens there and will report on them, as well.

View attachment 5461

I'm deviating a little from the map along the northern coast, just before Owase and hugging the coast near Shima, as well. The total should approach 300 kilometers.

sad that this man hasn't ridden his bike for quite some time now. I could've kept you company.

rubber side down and keep hydrated ..

Reactions: AliceInWonderland
I think the most difficult part may be between Kumano to Owase where you can take either R42 which goes through the mountains or R311 which goes along the coast. Once up in the mountains, R42 is fairly flat and easier to go through. Route 311 has not been well serviced yet, winding with a series of ups and downs while going through small fishing villages. I wish you have a safe journey and enjoy your adventure.

I think the most difficult part may be between Kumano to Owase where you can take either R42 which goes through the mountains or R311 which goes along the coast. Once up in the mountains, R42 is fairly flat and easier to go through. Route 311 has not been well serviced yet, winding with a series of ups and downs while going through small fishing villages. I wish you have a safe journey and enjoy your adventure.

I made that stage in heavy rain, on a rental, 5 speed, since the back fork on my Trek Domane broke. Went 95 kilometers day, from Shingu to past Owase-tough, and a personal one ride distance record.

Next day, total disaster, got wheels caught in a rut going downhill-fractured hip, pain city. Went from local hospital on an hour long ambulance ride, hitting every bump and no pain medication. Now in Mie hospital for three weeks, operation and recovery, away from family and home.

Massive pain, but otherwise OK. Will post when I return home next month.

Bummer.

Holy mother of dragons, that doesn't sound like a good time at all. Was already starting to wonder how your trip is going but didn't expect this.

Hoping for a speedy recovery, good medications and lots of young cute nurses for you.

Sorry to hear that your adventure was cut short. :(

But good to hear that you survived the accident and are getting treatment. I imagine it could have been a lot worse.:eek:

Looking forward to seeing you back on here when you're feeling better :nurse:

I made that stage in heavy rain, on a rental, 5 speed, since the back fork on my Trek Domane broke. Went 95 kilometers day, from Shingu to past Owase-tough, and a personal one ride distance record.

Next day, total disaster, got wheels caught in a rut going downhill-fractured hip, pain city. Went from local hospital on an hour long ambulance ride, hitting every bump and no pain medication. Now in Mie hospital for three weeks, operation and recovery, away from family and home.

Bummer.

I don't often cuss, but motherfucker!!! That's bad. Glad you're alive, at least!

Reactions: AliceInWonderland

Bummer.
Wow! I'm so sorry for you! :(

Reactions: roots reggae

Bummer.

Ouch! Sorry to hear about your accident. Hope you recover from that soon. Just because it's you I have images of that happening with a reggae soundtrack in the background.

Ouch!

I put my hands up. I was completely wrong. Someone was very pissed off!.

Here's a tune to cheer you up:

Hope you can still laugh!

This is the second time you are teasing us with young nurses and sponge baths. This time remember to continue faking injury way after you are healed and please send reviews!

And I'll do everything in my power to ensure that you are not teased a third time.

Well, two nurses just came in and gave me the daily sponge bath. Actually, they use towels. One was very cute, the other not so. They seem to leave my private parts exposed even when finished washing that area.

I accidentally brushed my hand on the cute one's breast while trying to grab the bed's handrail. Any excitement quickly passed as they unrapped the gauze attached to the sling on my right foot-pain city anytime the right leg is moved.

And I'll do everything in my power to ensure that you are not teased a third time.

Well, two nurses just came in and gave me the daily sponge bath. Actually, they use towels. One was very cute, the other not so. They seem to leave my private parts exposed even when finished washing that area.

I accidentally brushed my hand on the cute one's breast while trying to grab the bed's handrail. Any excitement quickly passed as they unrapped the gauze attached to the sling on my right foot-pain city anytime the right leg is moved.

Get chills down my spine when you described that. Can't even imagine how painful that must be.:sorry:

I'd send you a care package, but I don't think the Leonards Malasadas or the Snow Puffies from Paalaa Kai bakery would survive the trip. ;)

I don't usually say things like this but I like that promise more than the promise of reviews of all the nurses there.