Dangerous Japan

i didn't learn (!) my lesson and used them again .
Classic. Usually more common in the sex industry though.

But yeah, those recycling services are big nowadays.
I guess it can work out easier and cheaper sometimes because it costs money to throw your big items away in Japan anyway. But those services are definitely there to make a profit for themselves. I don’t know if I would call it a scam but it’s like a pawn shop. Less work for you but you get money money if you sell it yourself (in case they offer money and not ask for money, which is easier but probably more expensive than throwing it out yourself.

At least the ex yakuza didn’t try to con you, lol. Those people may have a hard time getting employed so I don’t hold it against them. I have met an older Japanese employee with a spots hand tattoo as well somewhere (apparently it’s a world wide anti government symbol afaik) and he was about the most docile quiet person ever. Some people just do stupid things when they are young.

Otherwise, the biggest danger you'll encounter in Japan is drunk foreigners. Usually Brits and Aussies are the most likely to get in a fighting mood. Americans seem to be at a loss as to what to do without access to a firearm.

I would have to concur on the first part. In all my years in Japan, the only time I ever felt like I might be in danger of getting knocked out is when I went drinking with certain British/Irish friends of mine, some of whom actually ended up spending time in lock-up in Japan due to drunken brawls with Japanese who didn't know any better and ended up knocked out. Were I to declare rugby to be gay after the 15th round of beers, I could've easily wound up on the floor. But the Americans? The kind of Americans who show up to "teach English" are usually the biggest pussies on Earth. Once you get tired of them droning on about gender equality and social justice and climate change just slap the fuck out of them and watch them cry...but then you'd feel bad.

I suppose I never got the full gaijin experience, because all the white guys at work would constantly complain about being harassed by chimpira after work, at the 7-11, at the tachinomi, on the train, etc...but again, this was Osaka. I mean, when I showed up in Osaka I was 22 years old, was still quite muscular due to being a gym rat for years and I loved wearing colorful shit. Red shirts with red ties, purple shirts with purple ties, always with my Aviators on and smoking a cigarette. The NOVA students who saw me outside the school would beg me to stop dressing like that as I "look like a criminal." In any event, I probably didn't present myself as an ideal target for bored Japanese punks to fuck around with.

But now, I'm old. My biggest fears are going out, getting shitfaced and then either forgetting my hotel room number or passing out on the train and waking up in Utsunomiya or Wakayama. I've forced myself to stop buying those 9% lemon-lime things from 7-11 so we should be ok on that front.

I've forced myself to stop buying those 9% lemon-lime things from 7-11 so we should be ok on that front.

I second you on this one. Most dangerous thing in Japan is Strong Zero.

Every night that went horribly wrong started this way for me. I also decided to never touch this crap again. Not sure why, but it fucks you up a lot more than other beverages with a similar alcohol percentage. Maybe it's the mixture of alcohol and artificial sweeteners that results in a stronger effect.

I second you on this one. Most dangerous thing in Japan is Strong Zero.

Every night that went horribly wrong started this way for me. I also decided to never touch this crap again. Not sure why, but it fucks you up a lot more than other beverages with a similar alcohol percentage. Maybe it's the mixture of alcohol and artificial sweeteners that results in a stronger effect.

In my case it's the 7-11 brand "Clear Strong" something or other, and it's only a hundred-something yen for a tallboy. Not only has that led me to some very embarrassing episodes at the hotel, but it royally fucks up my stomach and I can barely eat the next day. I gave it a final chance on my last recent trip and it fucked me up as always and I haven't touched it again since. Besides, Nikka is now making a pretty decent carbonated cider that I only discovered recently, and that, combined with cheap bottled sparkling wines, is enough to knock me out without ruining the week. Plus, it seems like every craft pub in Japan is now stocking some form of barley wine so I'm never far from a blackout buzz. I play it safe now and do my nightcaps at the hotel with the doors jammed shut and clothes fully on.

Reactions: Alice and Danbo
I had a run-in with them and I can’t say that it was just going to be words until a 3rd guy approached them and told them to leave.

I have observed fighting in certain anreas and there are some stories that float around about violence but I would say that’s rare for foreigners unless it’s foreigner on foreigner action.

For me, Roppongi was the sketchiest place that I’ve been to and that leads me to say that I’d be more worried about drink spiking and theft from some bar than actual violence and death.
What part of Roppongi?

I'm thinking of going there during my trip to go to that Roppongi hill tower observation deck.

You mean to say only if foreigners attack, but never did one Japanese person use violence, not even the Yakuza involved. That is if you are referring to JS.
It’s nice to see the cretin’s name abbreviated instead of uttered aloud. The only other thing I want to hear about that googly-eyed zubenoid is the length of the prison term.

LONG TIME AGO (early 2000s) :

I was walking down love ho hill in shibuya... near club asia and vuenos.
Old drunk salary man with his side piece walking down the hill on the other side.

Then a souped-up mini van with neon lights blasting techno music comes rolling up the hill.
The old salary man slams his hand on the mini van, the mini van suddenly stops (music and all) and a bald young-looking chimpira pops out in a track suit...

...the chimpira quietly makes his way around the mini van while the salary man is yelling at him.

The chimpira calmly grabs the salaryman's suit lapels with both hands and SLAMS his head right into the salaryman's nose, the salaryman DROPS to the floor and his side chick screams to the top of her lungs... the chimpira calmly jumps back into the mini van without saying a word,

the techno music starts playing again and the mini van just speeds up the hill.

LAST WEEK:

I found a nice little home on the market just around the corner where I live, the cool thing, its way cheaper than most homes in the area.

I was thinking of buying it and renting it out. It has great access to the station and near a lot of foot traffic, shops, a school etc..

The rumor was that an old man died there of natural causes, and that's why the house is under valued, I'm cool with that I thought, as long as it was natural.

....anyways I set up a meeting with the fudosan, before he gives the tour he says, he is legally obligated to tell me that the last tenant committed suicide using the top banister of the stair case to hang himself.

took the tour anyways, and yes, the house is still on the market.

Last edited:
must be electric power chariot...

I just remember one more things.
nowadays, electric kickboard scooter is dangerous as hell.
https://news.yahoo.co.jp/articles/6367767761bb4b46fc6651eaa71d545ddda3b9f1
No it’s actually mostly basic bicycles, still speeding like crazy cause it’s a slight hill. The Luups now behave better cause they get quite a fine if they don’t ride with the cars

But hey great news, they just painted new bicycles lane all over that street yesterday from the top of the hill to the H&M crossing. I live around and close enough to often hear cyclists-pedestrian accidents from the balcony, so is freakin’ relieving news

Reactions: Alice
It’s nice to see the cretin’s name abbreviated instead of uttered aloud. The only other thing I want to hear about that googly-eyed zubenoid is the length of the prison term.
I had to correct myself on the violence by the Osakans. They did randomly attack but not like those Europeans and maybe an American.

Yeah, I’d love to see him do the maximum of 3 years.

Otherwise, the biggest danger you'll encounter in Japan is drunk foreigners. Usually Brits and Aussies are the most likely to get in a fighting mood. Americans seem to be at a loss as to what to do without access to a firearm.
Seriously, what's up with the Aussies tho? They seem always ready for a fight...

2 weeks ago in Kabukicho i ended up drinking in the Hub with a Brit and an Aussie, the 2 of them english teachers. The Brit ended up travelling through another dimension because he was more than wasted, and the Aussie was trying to pick fights with concafe girls, then me, then his Brit friend. He ended up screaming, going away and leaving his friend and me alone. I had to care for the other guy, (which i gladly did as i saw him as a good person, just a poor 22 years old boy not having much control while drinking).

• Haha
Reactions: yeti and Alice
LONG TIME AGO (early 2000s) :

I was walking down love ho hill in shibuya... near club asia and vuenos.
Old drunk salary man with his side piece walking down the hill on the other side.

Then a souped-up mini van with neon lights playing techno music comes rolling up the hill.
The old salary man slams his hand on the mini van, the mini van suddenly stops (music and all) and a bald young looking chimpira pops out in a track suit...

...the chimpira quietly makes his way around the mini van while the salary man is yelling at him.

The chimpira calmly grabs the salaryman's suit lapels with both hands and SLAMS his head right into the salaryman's nose, the salaryman DROPS to the floor and his side chick screams to the top of her lungs... the chimpira calmly jumps back into the mini van without saying a word,

the techno music starts playing again and the mini van just speeds up the hill.

LAST WEEK:

I found a nice little home on the market just around the corner where I live, the cool thing, its way cheaper than most homes in the area.

I was thinking of buying it and renting it out.

The rumor was that an old man died there of natural causes, and that's why the house is under valued..

....anyways I set up a meeting with the fudosan, before he gives he the tour he says, he is legally obligated to tell me that the last tenant committed suicided using the top banister of the stair case to hang himself.

took the tour anyways, and yes, the house is still on the market.
I was shown a house like that before! It was a brand new house and hadn’t been lived in for more than a month before some family was murdered or a member of the family was murdered. This was a big story in Japan at the time. I know of other people who have commented on that house. I believe it was never sold and torn down. Maybe made into a car park or something like that.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: yeti and Alice
The thing is when you sell it you don't have to tell anymore someone died there, it is just the first sale/rental lease when it needs to be told.
that's right, he kept on saying "grey zone"

I was shown a house like that before! It was a brand new house and hadn’t been lived in for more than a month before some family was murdered or a member of the family was murdered. This was a big story in Japan at the time. I know of other people who have commented on that house. I believe it was never sold and torn down. Maybe made into a car park or something like that.
damn, talk about a hard sale

Reactions: Jimmy Chu1969
Lmao can't believe I'm saying this but the most danger I've ever been in was with the police. Got stopped in a JR station for an ID check, guy dragged me into the corner of the stairs (red flag 1) and proceeded to not only grab my ID card out of my hand, but my entire wallet (red flag 2). That was my first run-in with law enforcement here so I didn't know what to do in that situation (asking for his badge/name/station, only showing my residence card, standing in sight of a camera, etc.). Eventually he realized he wasn't gonna get his "gotcha" moment from ransacking through my wallet, so he let me go, but it was still really irritating how that whole thing went down.

Lmao can't believe I'm saying this but the most danger I've ever been in was with the police. Got stopped in a JR station for an ID check, guy dragged me into the corner of the stairs (red flag 1) and proceeded to not only grab my ID card out of my hand, but my entire wallet (red flag 2). That was my first run-in with law enforcement here so I didn't know what to do in that situation (asking for his badge/name/station, only showing my residence card, standing in sight of a camera, etc.). Eventually he realized he wasn't gonna get his "gotcha" moment from ransacking through my wallet, so he let me go, but it was still really irritating how that whole thing went down.
What did you do?

I wasn't familiar with that area so I kept looking around trying to find the entrance to the station, guess that was a bit too suspicious for mr. police man

Oh sh*t that’s actually perfectly valid for this thread…
Can’t generalize all the kobans and towns, but the “bad apples” here are really bad. They really give badges to anyone