Dentist Without Nhi

patty diaz

TAG Member
Reaction score
So due to issues, I currently dont have national health insurance (long story). But I want to go to the dentist for a check up and general cleaning. Japanese isnt an issue as Im fluent, but does anyone know how much this would cost without insurance? And any recommended dentist?

Reactions: AliceInWonderland
I hadn't been to the dentist for quite a while and went in for a check and cleaning. They did an x-ray as well since it had been so long since I'd had a checkup.

It was just under 20,000 all told - about 5,000 for the checkup, 10,000 for the cleaning and 5,000 for the x-ray.

Unfortunately I can't really recommend anywhere in particular - this was just a new place near where I live that I basically chose just for convenience's sake. I think that in terms of cost they all run about the same, though.

Reactions: patty diaz
I hadn't been to the dentist for quite a while and went in for a check and cleaning. They did an x-ray as well since it had been so long since I'd had a checkup.

It was just under 20,000 all told - about 5,000 for the checkup, 10,000 for the cleaning and 5,000 for the x-ray.

Unfortunately I can't really recommend anywhere in particular - this was just a new place near where I live that I basically chose just for convenience's sake. I think that in terms of cost they all run about the same, though.
Ive heard of a lot if places trying to scam you when it comes to what you need to get done etc.

Ive heard of a lot if places trying to scam you when it comes to what you need to get done etc.

Could be, in this case it was all 100% necessary.
Possibly TMI but I'd started flossing for the first time in a while a month or so previously and my gums were really hurting - like hurting for a couple weeks on end. Went in to get it checked out and it turns out I had some gingivitis going on so they needed to check and make sure the roots of my teeth were still OK to see if we needed to do any really heavy work. Fortunately it hadn't progressed that far so with a good cleaning and regular maintenance I shouldn't have any issues.

I went in for a cavity maybe 4 or 5 years back (different dentist) and at that time basically said I'd just like to have the cavity filled and they were totally cool with just doing that (didn't push me to get a cleaning or any additional work).
I think as long as you are clear about what you do/don't want done they'll usually follow your lead but my experience is pretty limited...

Reactions: patty diaz