Guest viewing is limited

Departure tax

Yeah. I noticed it started yesterday. I guess that’s one way the Japanese government hopes to pay for the Olympics.

Reactions: impish and Yuriko
A 1,000yen departure tax is not that bad, actually.. considering how clean and efficient Japan’s airports are.

When I visited the Philippines, I think Manila’s airport had a terminal fee of almost twice that amount.. and I don’t know where those terminal fees are going, but they’re definitely not going to the terminal.

I think most people won't even notice since it's just added to the ticket price. Just another line item in the list of fees you get charged. I think each airport has a use fee or tax already?

Not that I'm thrilled in giving the Abe administration another 1,000...

Reactions: AliceInWonderland
Considering what the price is already when I fly from/to Sweden, or really doesn't matter to me if I have to pay an extra 1000円 . Also, those money are earmarked for airports/tourism anyway, don't mind it.

Given the vague text of how the money is supposed to be used, I hope it will not vanish on the bank accounts of consulting agencies with ties to the ruling coalition :whistle:

Reactions: Spicybbw
"The government says it plans to use the revenue to boost the annual number of foreign tourists from the current 30 million to 40 million by 2020."
You want more tourists by basically charging them more to visit your country....what? :eek:

Obviously I get that they plan to use the revenue in a way that would attract more tourists, but I still gotta snicker at that sentence.

"The government says it plans to use the revenue to boost the annual number of foreign tourists from the current 30 million to 40 million by 2020."
You want more tourists by basically charging them more to visit your country....what? :eek:

Obviously I get that they plan to use the revenue in a way that would attract more tourists, but I still gotta snicker at that sentence.

I was thinking the same!! And first thought maybe I was reading it wrong.... not sure about that logic tho...

In other articles, it's explained that the tax revenue is to be used to provide more free wifi, to make more outlets electronic payment ready, to eliminate squat toilets and so on.

I praise highly the Japanese government decided to impliment something small fee to create something fat figured revenue, towards 2020 forsee more tourists coming in. I would not mind at all. Well done.

Reactions: AliceInWonderland
I hope it will not vanish on the bank accounts of consulting agencies with ties to the ruling coalition :whistle:

Of course it won't. Corruption here is never THAT simple.

the tax revenue is to be used to provide more free wifi, to make more outlets electronic payment ready, to eliminate squat toilets and so on.

The money will be used to purchase wifi access points and western style toilets from companies owned by relatives of key LDP members at ten times the market rate, to be installed by construction companies run by other LDP members' relatives at equally exporbitant rates. Those profits will then be used to purchase land at the direction of said LDP members, sold to the LDP members at a huge loss, and then roadworks projects will be scheduled through those plots of land. The LDP members will then "reluctantly" sell the land back to the government at five to ten times market value.

Elimination of squat toilets might be the most noble cause ever. Especially in touristy areas.

I agree. Once I squat down with my 38 inch legs there’s no way I can get back up and make it to my flight. Somebody will find me in the stall the next day :(

Does anyone know if this is already built into the airfare tickets? Or will I have to wait in an annoying line this weekend?

Reactions: ur19877
15LKGJc.gif

Yippee?

I mean, it's not the worst idea I'll give them that....Now that I think about it, after all my trips to Japan and I've yet to actually visit the Imperial Palace.