Guest viewing is limited

Diet in Japan for GERD sufferers

Secretmugen

That's the secret Cap, I'm always horny.
Reaction score
I've had to grapple with GERD (Gastro-esophogal Reflux Disease) since my teen years in the states, and while it's largely been managed with over the counter medicine such as generic pepcid and tums, I'm curious if any fellow sufferers living in Japan have advice about it.

My guess is that the diet in Japan is probably helpful to warding it off compared to the USA, but I know it's also fairly linked to stress as well. Any thoughts?

Reactions: Gina
I had this for years and nothing worked until I found betaine hcl with pepsin. Works for me. I take with my meals. Worth a try since it's not expensive on Amazon

I had this for years and nothing worked until I found betaine hcl with pepsin. Works for me. I take with my meals. Worth a try since it's not expensive on Amazon
I'm assuming you can get it off Amazon.JP? Thanks for the tip! I take famotidine at the moment.

Amazon japan has a big selection of GERD pillows. They help but take a bit of getting used to.

Ive found the biggest help is not a restrictive diet or medicine but in never drinking or eating 2 hours before lying down for the night, also going for a walk after big meals.

Also starting my day with a big glass of water and then waiting as long as i can to eat breakfast.

Amazon japan has a big selection of GERD pillows. They help but take a bit of getting used to.

Ive found the biggest help is not a restrictive diet or medicine but in never drinking or eating 2 hours before lying down for the night, also going for a walk after big meals.

Also starting my day with a big glass of water and then waiting as long as i can to eat breakfast.
Thank you for the tips! I spent a lot of my teens lying down and I try to stay upright as much as possible now unless I'm sleeping. Giving up late night eats has been an ongoing battle haha.

Why would you not go to a doctor? I started having issues 10 years ago, went to the doc, got a prescription, and haven't had an issue since other than the rare occasions I forget to take my medication.

Why would you not go to a doctor? I started having issues 10 years ago, went to the doc, got a prescription, and haven't had an issue since other than the rare occasions I forget to take my medication.
I did go to a doc, it's how I found out. Unfortunately with where I live...the doctors just seem to do the bare minimum. I've never been offered or instructed treatment further than over the counter medicine, other than a rather invasive looking surgery.

I did go to a doc, it's how I found out. Unfortunately with where I live...the doctors just seem to do the bare minimum. I've never been offered or instructed treatment further than over the counter medicine, other than a rather invasive looking surgery.
Find a better doctor. You're close enough to hobby in Tokyo, so go to a better doc even if it means you have to travel a bit. You're not limited to the clinics around your local station.

If you're limiting yourself to docs that speak English, stop that. You don't want a doctor who spent the time to learn another language, you want a doctor who spent all that time studying medicine. Use Google translate if you have to.

Find a better doctor. You're close enough to hobby in Tokyo, so go to a better doc even if it means you have to travel a bit. You're not limited to the clinics around your local station.

If you're limiting yourself to docs that speak English, stop that. You don't want a doctor who spent the time to learn another language, you want a doctor who spent all that time studying medicine. Use Google translate if you have to.
Ah I misunderstood. I haven't moved to Japan yet, I was asking ahead of time.

My doctor in the US was pretty bad.

Reactions: Alice
Ask your current doc about PPIs (proton pump inhibitors). Omeprazole and lansoprazole are the most common. Both are available in Japan.

Ask your current doc about PPIs (proton pump inhibitors). Omeprazole and lansoprazole are the most common. Both are available in Japan.
Thank you for the tips, really appreciate it!

Reactions: Sudsy