Do Japanese carriers charge you for making overseas collect calls?

TokyoJoeblow

TAG Member
Reaction score
Ok, so one of my US debit cards expired and I had the new card sent to my parents' address and they sent it to me here in Japan. The thing is when I logged into my online banking account, the new card information is not showing up as the previous debit card number is still showing. I made sure that I authorized the current debit card. I'm sure there is a way for my to update this info myself on the site but I need to call the US bank and they have a collect number I can call listed on the back of the debit card. The call would be free no problem if I were calling from within the US, but it is listed an an international/ collect call number.

I realize that I need to use country codes to make this call:

Dialing direct to the U.S. from Japan:
  1. First dial Japan's International Access Code (dial 010)
  2. Then dial the U.S. Country Code, Area Code, and local phone number: dial 1, then the 3-digit Area Code, and 7-digit Phone Number.
But will Rakuten charge me for making this collect call?

Because this is a free call as defined by the US, not Japan.

I should have asked this when I bought the phone, but I almost never need to make overseas calls. It is so rare. This is the first time I have needed to call the US in about 2 years lol.

Dial 0051 from a landline or payphone, talk to the operator.

I don't own a landline, so I guess going to the nearest payphone is what I need to do...I guess you are indirectly saying that international collect call numbers are actually only free in the US and Japanese carriers will charge me.

I had a feeling of this...

I don't own a landline, so I guess going to the nearest payphone is what I need to do...I guess you are indirectly saying that international collect call numbers are actually only free in the US and Japanese carriers will charge me.

I had a feeling of this...

No, he's saying you have to place collect calls through an operator. You won't be charged.

No, he's saying you have to place collect calls through an operator. You won't be charged.

Then why would I need to use a landline or pay phone just to reach an operator?

If I call this number using my Rakuten smartphone...would I be charged? I would still reach an operator calling the number wouldn't I?

Then why would I need to use a landline or pay phone just to reach an operator?

If I call this number using my Rakuten smartphone...would I be charged? I would still reach an operator calling the number wouldn't I?

Not all of those numbers work from cells.

You could just call the toll free via skype.

People still use Skype? :eek:

You sure you've ever lived overseas? I'm beginning to think you've never left your mother's basement.

Usage is still pretty common in expat communities - especially for people who need to call older relatives who don't use messaging apps given that it's got the widest coverage of global landline capability and lowest rates for that service. And it's also one of the few solutions that will let you call toll free numbers in North America.

You sure you've ever lived overseas? I'm beginning to think you've never left your mother's basement.

Usage is still pretty common in expat communities - especially for people who need to call older relatives who don't use messaging apps given that it's got the widest coverage of global landline capability and lowest rates for that service. And it's also one of the few solutions that will let you call toll free numbers in North America.
lol, agreed. I used to have Brastel but switched over to Skype years ago... I keep their worldwide plan since I use it frequently for conference calls with various countries around the globe. Company picks up the tab for the yearly sub since I use it for business.

Skype is also integrated into a number of large companies in Japan.

I think I still have credit on a Brastel account somewhere....
I still have the account and the card; I’m sure I have some balance there as well. It was heavily used my first years in Japan.

Reactions: Sudsy
I think I still have credit on a Brastel account somewhere....

I still have balance and phone numbers with at least four different VoIP providers all around the world. I should probably found a new company and list all those numbers in my web site, make it look like I have a global coverage of offices.

Nyah, too complicated. I can just continue to play something I am not in the internet.

If I call this number using my Rakuten smartphone...would I be charged?

I suggest going to the Rakuten Smartphone homepage.
Then search for a link that says "contact us" or similar, and then either call the phone number or submit a inquiry form.

143086-770x405.jpeg

Reactions: Goshogawara
You also can get a landline number in the city your family lives in via Skype so older people can call you with a regular number. The calls can be forwarded to your mobile phone number in Japan.

lol, agreed. I used to have Brastel but switched over to Skype years ago... I keep their worldwide plan since I use it frequently for conference calls with various countries around the globe. Company picks up the tab for the yearly sub since I use it for business.

Skype is also integrated into a number of large companies in Japan.

I used Brastel for like a week and was like fuck this...going back to Skype lol.

I suggest going to the Rakuten Smartphone homepage.
Then search for a link that says "contact us" or similar, and then either call the phone number or submit a inquiry form.

143086-770x405.jpeg

Oh wow, I see you found a nice photo of the Rakuten staff...was that on their smartphone homepage or maybe the support page?

I have submitted inquiries to them, they are totally useless.

I rarely make phonecalls unless it’s for business. Keeping in touch with older relatives is why I still have a FaceBook account. For everything else there is LINE and WhatsApp.

Reactions: TokyoJoeblow
I guess Goshogayara enjoys Rusty Trombone's...welp rusty trombones lol.

I don't even know this guy and I'm positive he is just as big a cunt as Rusty.

Reactions: Goshogawara
I honestly enjoyed a laugh after reading your comment and thought of it as a funny play on words. Please do not be offended.

I rarely make phonecalls unless it’s for business. Keeping in touch with older relatives is why I still have a FaceBook account. For everything else there is LINE and WhatsApp.

Right on time - posting during normal waking hours for Central Europe. So tell me, Leon... have you ever even been to Japan? 'Cause you sure haven't been here the whole time you've been posting on TAG.

Reactions: MikeH
Right on time - posting during normal waking hours for Central Europe. So tell me, Leon... have you ever even been to Japan? 'Cause you sure haven't been here the whole time you've been posting on TAG.

Come on, don't be like that. It's not like someone who has never visited Japan could take all his message ideas from Gaijinpot and just pretend to live here. Oh, wait...