Do you ever talk to the touts?

LKjdklfje64j

TAG Member
Reaction score
So lately I've been trying to talk to touts at night (free language practice!) to see if I can navigate the hobby world better. I like Ikebukuro because the younger Japanese touts there are not super aggressive, and not as flat out scary as the giant black dudes in Kabukicho/Shibuya. In fact I'd say Kabukicho/Shibuya touts overall are super aggressive.

Some things I've noticed...

1. Don't let the tout ask the questions, try and dictate the flow of the information exchange. This makes it easier to understand the responses if your Japanese is not native-level.
2. Be polite, but be firm. Have confidence, don't be timid and make yourself look like prey. Sometimes the tout will offer you reduced gaijin-tax.
3. Don't ask if they have meishi, or what their homepage is, or even the name of the shop, especially after seeing the girls on the dude's phone/tablet. I don't think the touts are hired by the shop directly, so they need to bring you in directly to get their commissions. Might be a 3rd party company that hires "salesmen".

I have never actually walked into a shop with a tout, maybe I'll try that next time. I am just a little worried that the act of going back with him is seen as contractual, so you would be "persuaded" to pay up for the service when you get there.

Reactions: AliceInWonderland
So lately I've been trying to talk to touts at night (free language practice!) to see if I can navigate the hobby world better. I like Ikebukuro because the younger Japanese touts there are not super aggressive, and not as flat out scary as the giant black dudes in Kabukicho/Shibuya. In fact I'd say Kabukicho/Shibuya touts overall are super aggressive.

Some things I've noticed...

1. Don't let the tout ask the questions, try and dictate the flow of the information exchange. This makes it easier to understand the responses if your Japanese is not native-level.
2. Be polite, but be firm. Have confidence, don't be timid and make yourself look like prey. Sometimes the tout will offer you reduced gaijin-tax.
3. Don't ask if they have meishi, or what their homepage is, or even the name of the shop, especially after seeing the girls on the dude's phone/tablet. I don't think the touts are hired by the shop directly, so they need to bring you in directly to get their commissions. Might be a 3rd party company that hires "salesmen".

I have never actually walked into a shop with a tout, maybe I'll try that next time. I am just a little worried that the act of going back with him is seen as contractual, so you would be "persuaded" to pay up for the service when you get there.

Hmmmm it seems a bit of a waste of time to me but hey if you want free Japanese lessons and market data, why not ...
as for the big black ones I either completely ignore them , just say no thanks if I'm polite , or if they really insist I go the whole shebang back to them : holding their arms strongly or yanking them à la Trump (they may be strong but they are always surprised and surprise is your best ally) , shouting "yeaaaah I want some pussssy" like a mad man , or pretending to cry and shouting I'm gay and impotent etc... it's actually quite fun to see their reactions on their face!

My conversations with touts are typically two words long.

The two words being “Not interested”.

I avoid the "giant black dudes" on account of them just being very pushy and also the off chance that I'll be lured into a basement somewhere and be relieved of my money.

The Japanese ones usually don't bother me that much but I still kind of ignore them unless I can't. Once or twice I've met some moderately helpful ones.