Does anyone believe this new pollen scattering inhibitor will improve hayfever symptoms?

TokyoJoeblow

TAG Member
Reaction score
So I came across this article in Japanese:

https://www.at-s.com/news/article/topics/shizuoka/690437.html

I will translate it to English and post it here for the hell of it:

DRONE USE OF POLLEN SCATTERING-PREVENTING AGENT, AND HAMAMAMATO COLLABORATIVE BETWEEN INDUSTRY, C
(2019/10/7 17:15)

A spray test of an anti-scattering pollen developed jointly by the University of Tokyo and a private company was recently held at the prefectural Forestry and Forestry Research Center in Hamakita Ward, Hamamatsu.For the spraying, a drone for spraying agricultural chemicals in Yamaha Motor is used.Industry, government and academia worked together to deal with hay fever by checking the spraying conditions from the sky and comparing the effectiveness of the spray with preventive agents that use special nozzles to reduce the amount of chemicals contained.
 The preventive medicine, which contains a surface active substance called sorbitan fatty acid ester derived from natural oils and fats, was developed after 25 years of trial and error in cooperation with a chemical manufacturer.It has the effect of killing nearly 100% of the sprayed cedar male flowers, has no effect on people or other trees, and is already registered as an agricultural chemical.
 A method for spraying a medicine maximizes the effect of the medicine.The test was carried out with the cooperation of Takashi Nakamura, a professor at Nagoya University, who developed a "waterdrop processing liquid nozzle with an oil film" to produce oil in waterdrops in an effort to prevent chemical splashes.
 After spraying at 5% concentration using a general nozzle, the concentration is suppressed to 1% by a processing liquid nozzle by Nakamura, and the cedar is sprayed on the cedar under the same conditions.Observed the course about a month after the male flower began to wither, similar results showed the same effect with a fifth of the dose.
 "There were some places where they didn't write evenly, but I'm looking forward to how many male flowers will die in a month," said Prof. Koishio.

Here is another article in English:

http://www.asahi.com/ajw/articles/AJ201903020001.html

So this is great news for me, but I am skeptical that this will do much to prevent my hayfever symptoms from hitting me hard this year. Today I started to experience the sneezing and runny nose. So I think it is starting for me early this year.

My Japanese friend read another article stating that there will be a 40% decrease in the amount of pollen...but I guess that is a great first step and better than a 0% decrease. The English article I posted claims an 80% decrease...so I have no idea what the real numbers are. I hope there is a significant decrease of cedar pollen this spring.

Anyone else know about this?

Last edited:
Thats such a TJB-title for a thread I totally love it even without reading the rest ! :)

TJB, in this case Japanese technology is inferior, and centuries behind the curve.

The French invented a cure for allergies in 1789.

41Mc3brGV5L._AC_.jpg

TJB, in this case Japanese technology is inferior, and centuries behind the curve.

41Mc3brGV5L._AC_.jpg

But this cock guillotine is too small to "cure" me. ;)

To be honest...I think regardless of their little experiments...the pollen is just going to fly all over the sky as it does every spring and make us with allergies suffer...

41Mc3brGV5L._AC_.jpg
A bit later , in 1789 the revolution was still pure and innocent . Then we killed the father figure, had anarchy and some kind of imperial Stalin/Hitler all in just 15 years. Exciting times

Reactions: Sudsy
So I came across this article in Japanese:

https://www.at-s.com/news/article/topics/shizuoka/690437.html

I will translate it to English and post it here for the hell of it:

DRONE USE OF POLLEN SCATTERING-PREVENTING AGENT, AND HAMAMAMATO COLLABORATIVE BETWEEN INDUSTRY, C
(2019/10/7 17:15)

A spray test of an anti-scattering pollen developed jointly by the University of Tokyo and a private company was recently held at the prefectural Forestry and Forestry Research Center in Hamakita Ward, Hamamatsu.For the spraying, a drone for spraying agricultural chemicals in Yamaha Motor is used.Industry, government and academia worked together to deal with hay fever by checking the spraying conditions from the sky and comparing the effectiveness of the spray with preventive agents that use special nozzles to reduce the amount of chemicals contained.
 The preventive medicine, which contains a surface active substance called sorbitan fatty acid ester derived from natural oils and fats, was developed after 25 years of trial and error in cooperation with a chemical manufacturer.It has the effect of killing nearly 100% of the sprayed cedar male flowers, has no effect on people or other trees, and is already registered as an agricultural chemical.
 A method for spraying a medicine maximizes the effect of the medicine.The test was carried out with the cooperation of Takashi Nakamura, a professor at Nagoya University, who developed a "waterdrop processing liquid nozzle with an oil film" to produce oil in waterdrops in an effort to prevent chemical splashes.
 After spraying at 5% concentration using a general nozzle, the concentration is suppressed to 1% by a processing liquid nozzle by Nakamura, and the cedar is sprayed on the cedar under the same conditions.Observed the course about a month after the male flower began to wither, similar results showed the same effect with a fifth of the dose.
 "There were some places where they didn't write evenly, but I'm looking forward to how many male flowers will die in a month," said Prof. Koishio.

Here is another article in English:

http://www.asahi.com/ajw/articles/AJ201903020001.html

So this is great news for me, but I am skeptical that this will do much to prevent my hayfever symptoms from hitting me hard this year. Today I started to experience the sneezing and runny nose. So I think it is starting for me early this year.

My Japanese friend read another article stating that there will be a 40% decrease in the amount of pollen...but I guess that is a great first step and better than a 0% decrease. The English article I posted claims an 80% decrease...so I have no idea what the real numbers are. I hope there is a significant decrease of cedar pollen this spring.

Anyone else know about this?
If you are so skeptical why don’t you volunteer yourself as a test patient? I suggest they administer the new solution directly up your nose and also an enima at the same time just for good measure. Let us know how it goes.

If you are so skeptical why don’t you volunteer yourself as a test patient? I suggest they administer the new solution directly up your nose and also an enima at the same time just for good measure. Let us know how it goes.

Well, they really should do animal testing first...are you down?

Reactions: warubuta
We are all animals. Some more so than others. IRRC George Orwell said something similar but not nearly as eloquently as The Buta.

Well, there are both positive and negative factors to consider if they decide to do the tests with Warubuta instead of rats.

The positive would be that the testing people sometimes feel sorry for the rats and would refuse to do some tests.

The negative thing is that it would be more difficult to apply the results to humans.

Reactions: MelissaAnne
According to tenki.jp the pollen alert for Shibuya for today (Monday 24) and Tuesday (25) is the maximum level - 4 red dots. I was anticipating a crappy day but didn't really have any hayfever problems today. Maybe the inhibitor is doing something?

Reactions: TokyoJoeblow
According to tenki.jp the pollen alert for Shibuya for today (Monday 24) and Tuesday (25) is the maximum level - 4 red dots. I was anticipating a crappy day but didn't really have any hayfever problems today. Maybe the inhibitor is doing something?

Same situation here in Shizuoka City and Hamamatsu City which I bounce between every couple weeks.

My doctor showed me a chart that noted this year's pollen count as much lower than last year and yet tenki.jp is listing off the charts pollen counts...

P.S. My hayfever symptoms are mild at the very worst so far this year.

Reactions: namae
Same situation here in Shizuoka City and Hamamatsu City which I bounce between every couple weeks.

My doctor showed me a chart that noted this year's pollen count as much lower than last year and yet tenki.jp is listing off the charts pollen counts...

P.S. My hayfever symptoms are mild at the very worst so far this year.
same. usually have it very bad by now, but it hasn't started at all for me yet. haven't yet done the injection or taken any medicine.
maybe we both have covid-19 and it has made us immune?

same. usually have it very bad by now, but it hasn't started at all for me yet. haven't yet done the injection or taken any medicine.
maybe we both have covid-19 and it has made us immune?

Haha yeah maybe. What type of injection do you receive? Do you go with the steroid injection?

If so, does it turn your skin black for a short time?

I know it has that side effect for some people that only receive the injection once or a couple times.

Haha yeah maybe. What type of injection do you receive? Do you go with the steroid injection?

If so, does it turn your skin black for a short time?

I know it has that side effect for some people that only receive the injection once or a couple times.

yeah steroid i think. No black skin.

yeah steroid i think. No black skin.

I'm most likely going to receive one of those steroid injections next week.

I'm curious to see how well it relieves my symptoms and I am tired of taking allergy medicine everyday. I can't even drink alcohol while taking this medicine for fuck sake lol.

Drinking alcohol in general is a bad idea in hayfever season, makes the symptoms worse. I still do it, because im an idiot and have no impulse control.

Well, due to beer and wine containing histamines they definitely make my symptoms worse. Beer especially gives me nasal congestion that feels like someone poured quick-drying cement up my nostrils.

I usually stick to drinking vodka during spring...when I am not taking allergy medicine that is.

I'm most likely going to receive one of those steroid injections next week.

I'm curious to see how well it relieves my symptoms and I am tired of taking allergy medicine everyday. I can't even drink alcohol while taking this medicine for fuck sake lol.
Don’t be such a pussy and go get the injection.