Does Immigration Take These Things Into Account When You Need To Renew A Spouse Visa?

TokyoJoeblow

TAG Member
Reaction score
I have been working and living here in Japan for almost a year now and I have all my tax papers to prove my employment.

However, multiple people including my wife have told me that paying into a pension is important but not something I needed to do right away? My wife also described it as a pay what you can afford system?

I plan to make my first pension payment tonight, but I'm wondering if I go to renew the spouse visa and they see that I haven't made any payments or only made one (even if it is a large lump sum last minute) will that be grounds for a possible denial?

Pension payments aren't listed as requirements for a spouse visa renewal, but for some reason I feel that not showing proof that I have been paying will work against me?

Aside from this...what about hospital records? Will immigration take a look at my recent std escapade records and deny me for this? For all they know, my infections could have come from my wife (of course they didn't).

The sooner the time comes for me to renew, the more questions I seem to come up with.

I would appreciate any information from those familiar with this process.

P.S. I have prepared all the requirements listed on the official website.

Reactions: AliceInWonderland
Immigration will not look at pension payments - yet. Word is that they intend to make that a requirement in the future once the My Number system makes it easier to verify.

They will also not look at your hospital records, and have no legal access to them.

The only thing they will look at other than the usual is your tax records to make sure you're up to date on your city taxes. Usually they'll want you to bring a form from city hall in showing that you've paid them.

Immigration will not look at pension payments - yet. Word is that they intend to make that a requirement in the future once the My Number system makes it easier to verify.

They will also not look at your hospital records, and have no legal access to them.

The only thing they will look at other than the usual is your tax records to make sure you're up to date on your city taxes. Usually they'll want you to bring a form from city hall in showing that you've paid them.

Good to know about the hospital privacy. I didn't know Japan had this system. As for the My Number system, it will be more convenient and less convenient in many ways. I feel that it might invade on foreigners' privacy? The whole system idea seems very American invasion of privacy to me, but I could have it all wrong lol.

If the companies I'm working for are all taking care of the taxes I owe for me, will I most likely be fine with just filling the form out? I might need to make another trip to city hall to pick up this form if my wife hasn't already. We grabbed up a handful of forms, so I will have to check later.

Yeah you should be fine just to hand in the forms. But! There is a degree of regional variation. Some places do more thorough investigations. I never had any problems but I heard of some people having to actually let investigators into their apartment so they can verify the marriage is real and not a visa scam etc. I am sure this is the exception though, not the norm.

I heard of some people having to actually let investigators into their apartment so they can verify the marriage is real and not a visa scam

This is becoming more common since the laws changed in 2012, and they are now able to revoke spouse visas if they can demonstrate the couple aren't living as husband and wife.

Reactions: TokyoJoeblow
This is becoming more common since the laws changed in 2012, and they are now able to revoke spouse visas if they can demonstrate the couple aren't living as husband and wife.

As in when married couples aren't living together but pretending to or is there a list of other reasons as well? I assume if they see a dent in the wall, they will assume domestic violence lol.

As in when married couples aren't living together but pretending to or is there a list of other reasons as well? I assume if they see a dent in the wall, they will assume domestic violence lol.

I'm not an immigration inspector, so I don't know all the criteria, but my understanding is that they're just looking for fraudulent marriages.

Reactions: TokyoJoeblow
I'm really hoping I can obtain a spouse visa that is valid for at least 3 years...do they usually not hand these out for the first renewal? I have been reading about how many people end up with another spouse visa valid for one year...any tips (besides abiding by the laws) does anyone know of to help my chances at a 3 or 5 year spouse visa? Maybe paying into a pension, but I can't think of anything else? Donating some extra money into some charities? lol

I'm really hoping I can obtain a spouse visa that is valid for at least 3 years...do they usually not hand these out for the first renewal? I have been reading about how many people end up with another spouse visa valid for one year...any tips (besides abiding by the laws) does anyone know of to help my chances at a 3 or 5 year spouse visa? Maybe paying into a pension, but I can't think of anything else? Donating some extra money into some charities? lol
It does depend on your financial status a lot. But i think for the first renewal 3 years visa are not common. Not sure though.
Saving your money would look better than donating it for your visa application i suppose.

Again there is regional variation. The standard practice used to be 1 year 1 year 3 year (at which point you can apply for permanent visa) but that was before the new gaijin card were rolled out; I don't know if the standards have changed now.

the 1 year/1year/3year practise is still common, i know one person who got 1 year, 1 year and another 1 year... he had no clue why, though, his assumption was that divorces seem to be common... for regular visa things changed a little, though first renewal is usually 3 years, my former coworker even got 5 (for no apparent reason his first visa was 3 years)... that seems to be common now, except for teachers, who still usually get 1 year... at least thats what i heard, but that seems logical when you consider how fast they seem to leave and how many new and cheaper ones can be hired...
good luck, though...

If there are things that can be done to increase the chance of a longer renewal, I'm sure it's too late for you to do them at this point. Pay your taxes, don't get arrested and don't be a dick with the immigration staff usually help in getting renewals (seriously, getting upset, calling them racists, and shouting in the immigration office (even if they cough) are sure-fire ways to NOT get the visa you want) . Working multiple jobs or changing jobs often, can lead to shorter renewals.

If there are things that can be done to increase the chance of a longer renewal, I'm sure it's too late for you to do them at this point.

Actually, one thing that DOES make a difference - every time you go in to immigration, dress nicely. Business casual or suit and tie. Every interaction you have with immigration, they take note of your attire, your manners, and whether or not you attempted to speak Japanese.

If there are things that can be done to increase the chance of a longer renewal, I'm sure it's too late for you to do them at this point. Pay your taxes, don't get arrested and don't be a dick with the immigration staff usually help in getting renewals (seriously, getting upset, calling them racists, and shouting in the immigration office (even if they cough) are sure-fire ways to NOT get the visa you want) . Working multiple jobs or changing jobs often, can lead to shorter renewals.
(Why'd you tell him that???)

Actually, one thing that DOES make a difference - every time you go in to immigration, dress nicely. Business casual or suit and tie. Every interaction you have with immigration, they take note of your attire, your manners, and whether or not you attempted to speak Japanese.

The people you interact with at the counter when submitting your documentation are not the people who make the decisions about the length of visa you will get. Totally different department.

Most people at my company submit via a proxy anyway (we send one of the Japanese junior staff). I went once just out of interest, and don't fancy going back ever.

I always dress nice when I'm dealing with immigration, visa agencies, the embassy, etc. It is good you mention in on this forum anyway. I also did speak some Japanese, but my Japanese wife did most of the talking and she was asked most of the questions.

The people you interact with at the counter when submitting your documentation are not the people who make the decisions about the length of visa you will get. Totally different department.

True - but the notes from the counter people are taken into consideration. They're not the decision makers, but they are strong influencers, particularly if they deem you undesirable.

Most people at my company submit via a proxy anyway (we send one of the Japanese junior staff). I went once just out of interest, and don't fancy going back ever.

If you can arrange to do it this way, entirely recommended! I don't think TJB has the option, mind....

True - but the notes from the counter people are taken into consideration. They're not the decision makers, but they are strong influencers, particularly if they deem you undesirable.

If you can arrange to do it this way, entirely recommended! I don't think TJB has the option, mind....
Does that imply that if you send a lawyer you will get more positive notes and a better shot at a longer visa than if you dress nice and go there applying in japanese by yourself?
Or do you simply recomment this because nobody likes to wake up early and stand in those hellish queues for hours?

My first visa was granted in a consulate abroad for a duration of 3 years.
I've been 4 times at immigration since my arrival (once for a re-entry permit, once to apply for the new gaijin card and the last 2 times to renew my visa). I did not put a suit on, was wearing white trainers, did not attempt to speak any Japanese (my staff did all the speaking) and I got a 3 years renewal, although there were only 10 months remaining on my work contract.
I saw a couple of African guys there with hardcore hip-hop outfits, filling out their form at the very last minute on their lap. They did not seem to worry a slight bit. OK, I've got no idea if they finally got the visa they wanted...

Does that imply that if you send a lawyer you will get more positive notes and a better shot at a longer visa than if you dress nice and go there applying in japanese by yourself?
Or do you simply recomment this because nobody likes to wake up early and stand in those hellish queues for hours?

The latter. If you are ever afforded the opportunity to avoid spending time dealing with bureaucrats, do so.

My first visa was granted in a consulate abroad for a duration of 3 years.
I've been 4 times at immigration since my arrival (once for a re-entry permit, once to apply for the new gaijin card and the last 2 times to renew my visa). I did not put a suit on, was wearing white trainers, did not attempt to speak any Japanese (my staff did all the speaking) and I got a 3 years renewal, although there were only 10 months remaining on my work contract.

Same as my experience when renewing my work visa (I don't have a staff though). One of my previous ARC photos clearly show that I'm wearing just a T-shirt (pants not shown but definitely worn). I do think that how you carry yourself inside the building matters. I always arrive there (Tokyo immigration in Shinagawa) early. Prepare your documents, sort them properly if needed. Greet the officer at the counter with a smile even if they have that strict/pursed lips attitude. I always ask them if English is OK and almost always get a favourable response. One time, one of the receiving officer (girl) even commented that the plastic clear file I was using was kawaii (IMHO it is not a good place to practice PU skills). Thank them afterwards.

Reactions: AliceInWonderland
And definitely never, NEVER ever ask them if they can hurry it along, or put your file up the pile, or ask why is it taking them so long, suggest a better system or try to jump the queue (I've seen all that and more). If fact, don't talk until spoken to and NEVER ever lie or be a smartarse. Docs ALL there and organised, be respectful and clean, hand it in with a positive attitude, sit down and be quiet until you are called. If you piss off an immigration official or make her job harder a room full of people behind you will want to cut out your liver, and may have the means to do so.