Guest viewing is limited

Does Japan Have A Sexual Problem?

Solong

TAG Member
Reaction score
The Japanese Love Industry (Vice)

Disclaimer: I'm not the creator of the Vice video about Japan, nor am I anti-Japanese. This thread is for intelligent adults who have the capacity to discuss topics and cultural issues about Japan rationally.

Vice and crew did a newbie exploration into the Japanese sex industry, which also looked at services for women and not just from the male p4p perspective. Clearly from the view shown by Vice, Japan comes off creepy, weird, and very childish. Probably among the weirdest and epitomizes an odd Japanese female mentality, from a Western perspective, was the cuddle bar hostess:

. "Because having a boyfriend is a hassle
. "When I see happy couples during Christmas, I wish they would die."
. "I just don't like seeing people being affectionate in public."

Though expressed very harshly by the cuddle hostess, this is an odd sentiment expressed by other Japanese in the video and definitely more PC variations of this thinking can be found when talking to many Japanese.

The video does create the obvious question of if there is something wrong with modern Japanese sexuality (which is of course a relative statement) that is creating issues with sex and relationships?

As TAG would have more experienced veterans who shouldn't be afraid of difficult topics and have explored Japanese culture, what say you?

Reactions: just4fun
Very fascinating documentary.

There were some aspects of it that I have already viewed from other sources. Probably the one that creep me out the most is the girl in the soine (sleeping together) cafe.

Girl: Whenever I see happy couples during christmas, I wish they would all die. I do not form any emotional attachment with customers.
Man: Ironic since you work in this sort of industry.

That just sent massive goosebumps when I watched and looking at the girl's stern expression. It kind of gives you the vibe that perhaps many women who are involved the P4P industry share the same views/sentiments.

The video is fine but biased in three points:

Love dolls are not new to the world at all and I remember in my teenage times (now in my 30s) I have watched several American Sex Documentaries showing the same toys in the US which places such archives around early 90s. Secondly, BDSM is highly stronger in the US than in Japan. I myself know the underground scene well enough and most event organizers and staff members had gone to America for inspiration and influence. The problem with most Americans is that they forget to remember what Japan has that US doesnt have, which results in their documentaries to end up with hypocresy. Its very funny for somebody like myself who actually knows the underground to be exposed to a single BDSM outcall like any other in the world...to be considered "the most ilegal or clandestine" entertainment among the Underground...hahahaha a single BDSM session is absolutely nothing. Anybody, any tourist, any gaijin is able to get that at any BDSM club that is currently active in Tokyo....hahahaha. The guy was played by the yakuza and he didnt even realized.

Yeah, P4P in Japan is maybe more 'regimented' than it is in the West.

But the whole "Japan has a sex problem" meme is pretty ludicrous to me. Developed countries always have really low birth rates, and it has nothing to do with sex. The US and Europe have stable or growing populations due to immigration, not births. Most of the developed world has pretty low birth rates, and the countries that have close to replacement birth rates are that way due to recent immigrants (i.e., Hispanics in the US).

Reactions: johnnyboy84
My opinion, and in discussing this with pals, is that Japan does indeed have some severe sexual related problems that is clearly having a negative affect on their society. Examples: low birth rate, too many Japanese couples not having sex after marriage, lowest sexual frequency among industrial nations, etc...

With that typed, many Western countries have lots of problems too. Things like religious hypocrisy or the Madonna-Whore complex. So, it equals out. For every problem a Westerner could find about Japan, you can find an equal number of problems with Western cultures. The trick is, what types of problems you will see in Japan versus the West, can be different.

In this regard, and in context to the seemingly extreme comments made by the Japan women, I think this reflects Japanese feminism somewhat.

Feminism in Japan took a much different form than it did in Western countries. It's more a rebellious attitude against traditional roles of Japanese women.

. Many Japanese women are rebelling against traditional female roles.

They are very conflicted about being mothers and having children. It's very convoluted, like rebelling against your natural instincts and design. A lot of switching back and forth, sometimes in the same conversation.

. Many Japanese women blame men for their issues and social roles as women, so can be very antagonistic towards men.

This is where they see relationships as tiresome and headaches. Again, very convoluted and hypocritical, as SHE can be as much the PROBLEM, as any guy she is dating or in a relationship with.

. Becoming extremely materialistic or as job orientated as men are, at the expense of her femininity or being able to enjoy life.

12 to 16 hour work days can DESTROY anybody, man or woman. Women who set their value based only on their job and trying to compete with men in that way, can find out that they are empty shells or missed out on life when they get older.

And p4p or alternative work may not be a way out either, as she can arguably destroy her ability to have normal relationships with men, or be engaged in destructive materialism and greed.

Last edited:
Reactions: DrTeeth
The Effect of The Variety & Accessibility Of The Sex Industry In Japan.

There is a strong argument to be made, that the massive extent of Japan's sex industry allows for or creates more relationship dysfunctional adults.

Why deal with a boyfriend, girlfriend, or ever get married when you can pay for it or find it on the Internet instead?

Real relationships can mean dealing with problems, difficulties, embarrassment, etc... Instead, some people rather run from reality or arguably a mature adult.

This can come from both men and women. When a provider's job is to have sex with different men every day, she might not be too enthusiastic about boyfriends or marriage. Even, like the cuddle hostess, have a disdain towards normal relationships and public affection period.

And it works the opposite way for customers or even dating websites. Had an embarrassing sexual encounter or date? Run to the NEXT woman or man. Why even deal with the "hassle"?

And this might all be reflecting in Japan's numbers in terms of less marriages, less sex in marriage, less sexual frequency among couples, etc...

Yuki might not be able to or even be interested in finding a husband, because she is spending all of her time and affection on guys in host clubs or working herself to death doing 14 hours work days.