Guest viewing is limited

Fighting against the women-only cars in trains

Well, no two words have exactly the same meaning. So for example, if he said 'bullshit' that would have had a slightly different maning that 'horseshit'. And if he had said 'dogshit', that would also have a different meaning. Now if he said 'nonsense' or if he said 'baloney' either of those would have slightly different meanings too. But he chose to say 'horseshit' because that was, in his judgement, the perfect word to describe what he thought about your statement.

He acknowledges that he intentionally used harsh words.

So his intentions are clear.

Obviously he admits he can't have a dialogue in a respectful manner.

Japan is widely known as THE country where its safe walking the streets at midnight though.
Isnt it frustrating when you basically agree with someone but you just want to slightly modify their position or maybe point out that, although you agree, there are other very valid opinions? But they will have none of it. They square off against you and want to have a big arguement. Those kind of people bug the shit out of me.

Last edited:
He acknowledges that he intentionally used harsh words.

So his intentions are clear.

Obviously he admits he can't have a dialogue in a respectful manner.
Right. He probably could if he wanted to. I mean if he was talking to his mother, he might have said 'baloney' instead of 'horseshit'. The point is that this is the internet, and he thought what you said was horseshit. And you are not his mother.

Right. He probably could if he wanted to. I mean if he was talking to his mother, he might have said 'baloney' instead of 'horseshit'. The point is that this is the internet, and he thought what you said was horseshit. And you are not his mother.

If he wants to act like that because this is the internet then it's his problem.

I'm not his mother but i don't have to be for someone to act at least normal.

I assume we all have visited Japan, but seems like some visitors of this website haven't learned the respect aspect of the Japanese culture and still act like a European/American douchebag.

If he wants to act like that because this is the internet then it's his problem.

I'm not his mother but i don't have to be for someone to act at least normal.

I assume we all have visited Japan, but seems like some visitors of this website haven't learned the respect aspect of the Japanese culture and still act like a European/American douchebag.
I am much more offended by the word douchebag than the word horseshit. Can you please refrain from using that kind of disgusting imagery?

Reactions: TheScientist
I am much more offended by the word douchebag than the word horseshit. Can you please refrain from using that kind of disgusting imagery?

The difference is that i'm not calling specifically somebody a douchebag.

Which is an important difference.

The difference is that i'm not calling specifically somebody a douchebag.

Which is an important difference.
Different from what? Show me where someone called you something. Someone just said what you wrote was horseshit. Nobody called you a name. Yet. But I would, at this juncture, like to call you a bad reader.

Different from what? Show me where someone called you something. Someone just said what you wrote was horseshit. Nobody called you a name. Yet. But I would, at this juncture, like to call you a bad reader.

Dont try to make it more complicated then if is.

He even acknowledged that he used harsh words, and now you are making something up out of nothing to try to prove a point.

So you could say that you are actually the one who is bad at reading, or remembering.

Dont try to make it more complicated then if is.

He even acknowledged that he used harsh words, and now you are making something up out of nothing to try to prove a point.

So you could say that you are actually the one who is bad at reading, or remembering.
Responding any more would be like throwing meatballs at a dead dog.

When you don' properly document sexual assult rape and molestation yes it will seem like it' safe. You may feel safe walking around late at night... and YOU may not have any issues but you speak for yourself....not all women Alice. And yes my statement stands true....bend over backwords and then some.
Japan is widely known as THE country where its safe walking the streets at midnight though.

I'm going to have to back Alice up on this... I've been in touch with countless women over the years I've been in Japan and the most common thing I heard from them was being hit on or harassed excessively by someone on the street (surprise, mostly foreigners). None of them felt like they were going to be raped or attacked walking down the street at any hour of the night

As for domestic assault, rape etc (behind closed doors), yes, we know it happens... but you're not going to get randomly raped walking down the street 99% of the time.

The domestic stuff is a breakdown in society and its laws, it's just not treated the same here as it is the west.

Reactions: Anna Summer
Doesn't Osaka run some 24 Hour Women Only cars?
Tokyo at least only has early morning and late night carriages that are designated for women only. (but not mandatory as Yuriko noted.)

Reactions: Anna Summer
Through the years, no one has groped my derrière, unless I gave them the sign.

What's the sign?
Please let me know so that I ll recognize it when I see it. I wouldn't want to miss out on a great time

Interestingly, chikan tend to avoid visibly foreign women because it's widely believed that as foreigners, they will have zero compunction against creating a scene and demanding the offender be arrested.
Many years ago, I worked with a 100% Japanese woman who had grown up in California and was perfectly bilingual E/J. She came to work one morning and said a chikan had sat next to her on the train (Keikyu Line kudarisen, so yes, you can sometimes get seats), opened a newspaper, pulled out his prick and started beating it while leering at her. After the initial shock, she started loudly berating him in English and he freaked out, dropped the paper and ran to another car with his dick wagging from his pants. Most interesting to me was that she said even though she had two languages at her disposal and knew which one this guy spoke, English instinctively came out because her English-speaking personality was the one most immediately ready to respond to the situation.

@warubuta actually my mother, God test her soul, heard far bluer language out of me. She raised me to be honest and to speak my mind and to know the difference when to speak with political consideration and when not to.

>20 years in Japan and I’ve learned that though “horseshit” doesn’t directly translate there are many fun ways to convey the same message when needed.

Reactions: warubuta

And for laying down on a deserted street in a quiet neighborhood with no need to worry about people harassing you or getting run over by a car. Not that I've ever done that ;)

Reactions: AliceInWonderland
Suuuuuure

Yes, it safe to sleep on the street in Japan. You may be missing one shoe the next morning but thats probably your own fault.

I have slept on a bench outside of Seijo Gakuen station on the Odakyu line because I missed the last train to Shinjuku. I was dead drunk and had my briefcase with me, but I was able to sleep from 1:30 to 3:30 A.M. without being harassed at all. I eventually managed to get up and walk the rest of the way home.

And for laying down on a deserted street in a quiet neighborhood with no need to worry about people harassing you or getting run over by a car. Not that I've ever done that ;)

I was once doing my jogging at the dead of the night and noticed one fine young gentleman had been suddenly struck with the heaviness of the universe and the meaninglessness of it all and he was resting quietly in the middle of the street. Not that it was the first, or the last, time I had seen that but in this spectacular case he was sleeping in a tight corner which didn't have even any street lamps to illuminate his existence.

So I decided it would be the decent thing to wake him up to prevent any oncoming cars ending his path in this world of ours and I gently touched his shoulder and called out for him. Immediately after around five minutes he regained enough consciousness to tell me if I didn't leave him alone he would definitely kill me. Now for anyone who is eager to jump into conclusions and say he was a racist I assure you that was not the case. I mean he never once opened his eyes during the whole ordeal so he wouldn't have known.

After five more minutes trying to tell him to at least move to the sidewalk and him thinking new ways to kill me I gave up. Fortunately for me there was a cop manning the koban just two blocks away and so I went and ratted him out. In my defence I can only say that was only the second time for me, the first time was when it was snowing and I was worried that guy would freeze to death.

I was once doing my jogging at the dead of the night and noticed one fine young gentleman had been suddenly struck with the heaviness of the universe and the meaninglessness of it all and he was resting quietly in the middle of the street. Not that it was the first, or the last, time I had seen that but in this spectacular case he was sleeping in a tight corner which didn't have even any street lamps to illuminate his existence.

So I decided it would be the decent thing to wake him up to prevent any oncoming cars ending his path in this world of ours and I gently touched his shoulder and called out for him. Immediately after around five minutes he regained enough consciousness to tell me if I didn't leave him alone he would definitely kill me. Now for anyone who is eager to jump into conclusions and say he was a racist I assure you that was not the case. I mean he never once opened his eyes during the whole ordeal so he wouldn't have known.

After five more minutes trying to tell him to at least move to the sidewalk and him thinking new ways to kill me I gave up. Fortunately for me there was a cop manning the koban just two blocks away and so I went and ratted him out. In my defence I can only say that was only the second time for me, the first time was when it was snowing and I was worried that guy would freeze to death.

Had a few of those over the years. Getting the local omawari-san seems to be the right thing every time.

Reactions: Sudsy and MikeH

So you saved RIDER 00's life?

Reactions: Sudsy
Yes, it safe to sleep on the street in Japan. You may be missing one shoe the next morning but thats probably your own fault.

I once arrived home one summer morning blackout drunk minus my shoes, shirt, and jacket, but with wallet and briefcase in my possession. (this was pre-cellular phone days)

The koban rang my office on the following monday with my missing clothing, identified by the contents of the meishi case.