Finally Checking In... Then Back To Lurk Mode.

The Dude is a true Lurker:
Last Activity:
Monday at 10:39 AM

(y)
OP will learn more if OP participated more.

There are those among us who are learning challenged.

Me, when I lurk:

homer_lurking.gif

The thread view counts strongly suggest that lurkers (some with accounts and some without) completely dominate TAG in terms of numbers. Many boards are thus.

Recently I met a (really delightful) SB from SA who is a TAG lurker (with an account). When I gave her my email addy, which contains my TAG screen name, she recognized it and surmised that I was the same person...and then asked me to confirm.

This is a reason to be a bit careful about revealing too much personal info in posts on the open board. Even if you are pretty sure none of the TAGers who post actively know you and/or wouldn't care if they did, there could easily be someone who knows you lurking, and many here have posted enough about their personal situations (where they live, how long in Japan, where from, hobbies, family situations, travel and other plans etc) to be recognizable even to someone who knows them only moderately well.

-Ww

The thread view counts strongly suggest that lurkers (some with accounts and some without) completely dominate TAG in terms of numbers. Many boards are thus.

Recently I met a (really delightful) SB from SA who is a TAG lurker (with an account). When I gave her my email addy, which contains my TAG screen name, she recognized it and surmised that I was the same person...and then asked me to confirm.

This is a reason to be a bit careful about revealing too much personal info in posts on the open board. Even if you are pretty sure none of the TAGers who post actively know you and/or wouldn't care if they did, there could easily be someone who knows you lurking, and many here have posted enough about their personal situations (where they live, how long in Japan, where from, hobbies, family situations, travel and other plans etc) to be recognizable even to someone who knows them only moderately well.

-Ww
Yes indeed, sometimes people are so naive.
I recall a young guy on ISG telling everyone he was from India, seconded for a year to work for a big multinational company based in a small Swedish town... Well, he was probably the only Indian boy in town then...and everyone would know what he was after...

Totally my fault, @scorpioni6ths, I didn't read the date of the original post before commenting.
@roots reggae I had a giggle at the Homer .gif.

I'm very curious on how you managed to reach that post. Did you finish reading October? or...Perhaps a search string? as 'checking in' ? Maybe even a partial regular expression as 'check in' ?
What do I get if I was right? ;)

-Ww

Perhaps the assumed blowback of reckless typing is not even considered, after all this is an adult forum, 'Meh, I don't care about all those wankers'. But as @Wwanderer stated , there are probably most unknown eyes reading this than the other way around. Too much information makes you a soft target, but too little information might make them ask why (specially if you are a person of interest). For that particular reason, security through obscurity is not really a concept that always work.
I encourage everyone to find the in-between, besides being a very fun game to play (for both sides), it may end up saving you from (luckily, just) a headache in the future.

Some weeks ago I was told : 'I don't understand you, sometimes it appears you know a lot, but sometimes it seems you are just plain stupid' My answer: "exactly" [because of course, I did not want to admit the latest!]

Reactions: AliceInWonderland
I'm very curious on how you managed to reach that post. Did you finish reading October? or...Perhaps a search string? as 'checking in' ? Maybe even a partial regular expression as 'check in' ?
What do I get if I was right? ;)]

Well... I actually searched for the term "lurker." I've been reading a series of humourous novels where the word "lurker" has an entirely different meaning altogether.
Yes, it's a little weird. :whistle: