First time for everything...

Rai was super and I will do a proper review, but the experience definitely confirmed that, given my deficiency in the language, unless I go somewhere that offers a very specific service (like HMP seems to), the provider is going to assume that I am looking for FS/PIV and focus only on that. And since I know that's illegal, I couldn't think of a way to say that I DIDN'T want that without accidentally asking for it.
You went to a soapland - FS is the standard offering at soaps, and you don't need to ask for it. That is NOT the case for most types of venues - most places do not offer it, at least not tacitly.

Have a look over this post for a general explanation of the various types of shops/services, it'll clear it up a little.

If you want to say you don’t want FS, just remember “honban wa iranai desu”
Or just cross your arms and say “no fuck”, might get the message across as well.

Anyway, you won’t get in trouble for mentioning it directly to the girl in a shop where it’s standard (unless they assume you mean without condom) and you don’t have to bring it up in shops where it’s not standard.

Reactions: RedCat
You went to a soapland - FS is the standard offering at soaps, and you don't need to ask for it. That is NOT the case for most types of venues - most places do not offer it, at least not tacitly.

Have a look over this post for a general explanation of the various types of shops/services, it'll clear it up a little.
Yep, I knew that was part of the offerings...I guess I was just hoping that there would be...more to it? It was all very perfunctory, with an eye towards getting to the FS goal. Again, entirely due to my inability. And it was definitely fun! Just...a lesson as well.

That's a great post, thank you. I hadn't seen that yet.

まだまだです

Reactions: Sudsy
And that concludes my first visit to Japan.

I have three reviews to write up, all fun, positive experiences...with lessons learned along the way. But far and away, the thing that I needed more of was (wait for it ...) language skill.

...and I could stand to lose a few kilos too, because lordy it's been a sweaty visit.

This is just a long-winded thank you, so if you aren't in the mood for overly earnest appreciation, apologies in advance.

I will say, this forum proved invaluable to this gaijin's exploration of the more risque side of Japan and as someone who has been in more forums than I care to count in my 46 years...the level of empathy, kindness and humor on this forum is without parallel. You all represent a very wide range of experience, and the constant barrage of horny, clueless tourists traipsing into your conversations with the same hopes and questions would normally drive this kind of place private or turn it toxic. Kudos to the moderators and the members for rising above that and offering such amazing advice.

The naughty stuff was a bonus, but frankly, I fell in love with the rest of Japan too. I got outside of the city into a more rural part of the country, up in the Gunma Prefecture, and the landscapes alone could bring me back...not to mention the food.

I was lucky to also go out one night with some locals who took me to (non sexual) places I never would have had access to...walk-up apartment speak-easy style bars, hostess clubs and karaoke. And I did a fair amount of wandering into the depths of the underground shopping complexes that seems to serve up a more unpolished and functional version of Tokyo than what's available street-side.

Different as fuck from my suburban American life.

Now I have two action-items...

Learn (a lot) more Japanese...and come back.

Maybe next time I'll be skilled enough to buy one of you a beer.

For now, I guess I'll grow back my beard...