Full-time online job for a Japanese company?

TokyoJoeblow

TAG Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I teach online part time to Chinese students but that is just extra side work.

I have found a number of legit Japanese owned online English companies that offer full-time work.

I'm curious if immigration wouldn't take a online job seriously even a full-time one with regard to being something stable?

Do you really need to be working at a school offline to avoid visa renewal/PR application issues?

Why would you be seeking PR in a country you find offensively racist?

As for the job, I would think providing they have an office, supply you with a contract and prove to be legitimate when they contact them, it shouldn’t really matter.

Why would you be seeking PR in a country you find offensively racist?

As for the job, I would think providing they have an office, supply you with a contract and prove to be legitimate when they contact them, it shouldn’t really matter.

What? I never said all Japanese are racist...I was referring to a lot of Japanese people but not all of them.

You should contact potential online schools & ask. A company needs to supply you with their financial info to support your visa request. If the service just takes anyone they may not support this.

Well, what do you mean spefically by financial info?

A paper contract that has been scanned and emailed?

1st you have to understand the paperwork you may need to renew or get a visa from a company.
2nd you just need to ask the potential company if they supply that for people working for them.
I always get a hanko'd original document from the company's HR with financial info.

1st you have to understand the paperwork you may need to renew or get a visa from a company.
2nd you just need to ask the potential company if they supply that for people working for them.
I always get a hanko'd original document from the company's HR with financial info.

Yes, I understand. Even though I have a Spouse of Japanese National Visa, I will ask them to provide these papers just to see whether or not they are legit.

As long as the company is legit and can offer you a regular contract, I don’t see any difference in working on- or off- line.

Reactions: TokyoJoeblow
some indian joe blow is no match for tokyojoeblow, who has already honed his skills from many years experience dealing with chinese/japanese students....

ecc8f3ae012fc906a14f2c7a4d61fb9baf40823a4dbc81cac728ae4d0b869e42.jpg

Cant they get Indians with to do that from Mumbai for about a buck two fifty an hour?

He's in the education industry: Indians are notorious for their terrible pronunciation, Filipino would do a better (and cheaper) job.

These are good points and I have noticed a number of these Japanese-owned online English schools that hire mostly Filipinos or Indians, but I have found some that have mostly Caucasian and African American teachers. I will assume some of these teachers are from England, Australia, New Zealand and other English speaking nations as well.

Reactions: AliceInWonderland
I heard from a friend that used to teach English that the American accent is preferred, especially for Chinese students. But of course you get a mixed bag when it comes to what teachers you hire.

Reactions: TokyoJoeblow
Well, what do you mean spefically by financial info?

A paper contract that has been scanned and emailed?

If you are relying on them for your visa they need to get you a "certificate of eligibility". You will need them to fill out specific visa forms.

Why are you asking us when you should be on the ministry of immigration's website reading about what you need to get your visa.

Why are you asking us when you should be on the ministry of immigration's website reading about what you need to get your visa.

But that would give him the answers without any Hotto Motto pick-ups or licking the underwear thrown in. What would be the fun of that?

Reactions: impish
But that would give him the answers without any Hotto Motto pick-ups or licking the underwear thrown in. What would be the fun of that?

I just don't get it. I mean nothing against him, but the answers to what he needs won't be found here, so why does he come asking? I spent 10 years trying to get to Japan. I spent hours online trying to find ways around not having gone to college. The basic requirements are you need a certificate of eligibility, with wither a 4 year degree. or 10 years of work experience in the field that you will be working in in Japan.

Search "what do you need to get a work visa in Japan" in google you find this link about half way down the first page.

http://www.mofa.go.jp/j_info/visit/visa/

Click on "Work or Long-term stay" then click on "instructor" brings you here....

http://www.mofa.go.jp/j_info/visit/visa/long/visa1.html

Which brings you to the website for the Ministry of Justice, Immigration Bureau . where you then search for "certificate of eligibility" which will give you a list of things you need to procure said certificate...

http://www.immi-moj.go.jp/english/tetuduki/kanri/shyorui/01.html

Ok maybe I was wrong maybe he was right to come here...

Reactions: MikeH
If you are relying on them for your visa they need to get you a "certificate of eligibility". You will need them to fill out specific visa forms.

I already possess a 3 year Spouse of Japanese National Visa, so I don't even need any company to sponsor me. It was mentioned earlier in this thread for me to request the work visa sponsorship paperwork only for the purpose of verifying if the particular online school is legit.

If the particular online school tells me they can't sponsor work visas nor have the paperwork, I will know not to work for that particular school...at least full-time (aka I won't take the school seriously).

I already possess a 3 year Spouse of Japanese National Visa, so I don't even need any company to sponsor me. It was mentioned earlier in this thread for me to request the work visa sponsorship paperwork only for the purpose of verifying if the particular online school is legit.

Of course you can do whatever suits you but for verifying a particular company that's a very bad idea. There are tons of very good companies that don't sponsor visas but hire only people who are already legally in the country.

And why wouldn't they; it's not like there is any horrific shortage of English teachers already in Japan.

Of course you can do whatever suits you but for verifying a particular company that's a very bad idea. There are tons of very good companies that don't sponsor visas but hire only people who are already legally in the country.

And why wouldn't they; it's not like there is any horrific shortage of English teachers already in Japan.

Well, are there a ton of online English schools that are legit as well? If so, how would you verify other than the advice mentioned above?

I guess I don't have to request to see an online school's financial paperwork. I wouldn't be asking for this from an offline school of course. I only mentioned this because I know some online "English schools" operate like language exchange platforms while others hire mostly Filipinos, pay very little per hour, etc.

How far away from PR are you? How long have you been here? This
If you already have a spousal visa then why does it matter what immigration thinks? I was here my first 3 years without a job, still got my visas renewed...

I think he is concerned about his PR application. I dont know; it is hard to tell. My guess is that he thinks he needs a record of a stable job with a 'legit' company. He is defining 'legit' as the capacity to sponsor working visas - even though he doesnt need a working visa. He is confused. My advice to him is:

1. Confirm that your marriage is stable. The spouse visa plus four years or so living and working in Japan are the basis for a successful PR application. Steady work at a good company might be in your favor, but it is not critical.
2. Show that you have a track record over four years of clearing a few hundred k a month without working in a bar or doing something else sleazy and unstable. A resume with several PT jobs at various fly-by-night english schools is fine.
3. You will need to provide evidence of paying income taxes, paying residence taxes, and paying NHI and Pension for four years.

If you do 1 through 3 you will get your PR. Unless you are an Indian, Filipino, or Other Brown Man of Obscure Origin (OBMOO). If you are an OBMOO, the above advice still applies although it will take 10 years and you might be denied.

Money spent on a visa consultant would benefit you way more than the collective questions & answers from us. Not dating or drinking for a week or two can afford anyone an hour or two session. I would be paying for this way before I see any lady if it was me.
I am the type to seek professional advice instead of winging it.
I work in an environment where the more focused I am the more productive I am. Visa issues are stressful. You potentially would be more focused & productive doing what you need to do that suits you if you only did an hour or two with a pro.

If the particular online school tells me they can't sponsor work visas

They can't regardless. Immigration will not issue a work visa for a worker whose job does not require them to be physically present at the workplace - you could work the online gig from your home country, therefore no need for them to issue a visa.