Have You Ever Had A Japanese "friend" Throw You Under The Bus?

TokyoJoeblow

TAG Member
Reaction score
So, a friend I met through the psycho woman was a supposed friend of mine and always polite and nice. I confided with him about this woman, but I should have trusted my non-Japanese instincts that he would be just another lying, Japanese guy.

I have screenshot proof of him promising he wouldn't tell her about our chat. A couple days later, the woman tells me that he told her that we talked.

I message him about him lying to me and he suddenly doesn't want to be friends anymore. Can you believe this bullshit? What a lying piece of shit asshole.

I will never put my trust in a Japanese guy who knows a crazy woman for the rest of my life.

P.S. He also even told me that he thinks she might be crazy, yet wants to talk with her and stay friends with her wtf?

So, a friend I met through the psycho woman was a supposed friend of mine and always polite and nice. I confided with him about this woman, but I should have trusted my non-Japanese instincts that he would be just another lying, Japanese guy.

I have screenshot proof of him promising he wouldn't tell her about our chat. A couple days later, the woman tells me that he told her that we talked.

I message him about him lying to me and he suddenly doesn't want to be friends anymore. Can you believe this bullshit? What a lying piece of shit asshole.

I will never put my trust in a Japanese guy who knows a crazy woman for the rest of my life.

P.S. He also even told me that he thinks she might be crazy, yet wants to talk with her and stay friends with her wtf?
I know a lot of people will not like hearing this or take offense, but my friends and I learned a long time ago not to trust the average Japanese guy when it comes to anything concerning women.

I believe it's a strong cultural difference, where most Japanese guys don't understand the code of "bros before hoes" or even abiding by "gentlemen's agreements". A lot of Japanese guys, if they are infatuated with your woman or think they have any chance with her, will betray you in the hope of befriending her at your expense. And especially if you are a foreigner. The more that such Japanese guys think they can get away with it, without any physical or financial repercussions, the more likely they are to try it.

You can identify these types of guys (not all do it, but too many) by these behavior traits.

1) Shows an excessive interest in your girlfriend.

Can even just be staring at her oddly or excessively. Note- This can also make your girlfriend uncomfortable, and is a quiet from of Japanese male intimidation.

He can also ask a lot of questions, that might seem innocent, but are not. Like how did you meet her, where she lives, etc...

2) They try to pull information or get you to brag about your sexual escapades, but HIDE what they do.

It's not an equal exchange of information. He then takes your secrets and uses it to smear you with Japanese or foreign women that you are dating that he likes.

Had a Japanese guy try to do this with a Czech girlfriend of mine some months back. He was telling her stories about me, behind my back. Most of his stories were bullshit, as I avoided telling him too much. Because she thought we were closer friends than we actually were, she was listening to it. He had sneakily exchanged LINE contacts with her behind my back, through a group exchange with 2 other people.

He thought he was getting somewhere with her, but it backfired, because she got pissed when it was clear he had a sexual interest and wanted to go out with her. It led to a very bad scene, where she and I had to curse him out and cut him off completely.

3) If they can't pull real information, but are infatuated with your woman enough, they then LIE and create bullshit.

Been in many club situations and other locations, where I'm talking to or a foreign friend is talking to a woman, and the Japanese guy is jealous over the conversation or relationship. When the foreign guy walks away from the table, the Japanese guy PRETENDS to know the foreign guy and claims he is a playboy, married, or whatever bullshit he can think of.

While at a bar type situation, it might not be so bad, it can wreck havoc if he knows you and her more thoroughly. Like an acquaintance or casual friend. You think the guy is cool or friendly, and he is the exact opposite. Putting knives in you back and doing dishonorable behavior or the type of drama that causes fights or people to get killed.

4) Pretends he is trying to "protect" women, but instead trying to sneak into her pussy.

This is a huge worm or bitch move, that certain guys will try. He pretends that all his actions and back-stabbing of the other guy or supposed friend is for her protection as if he is Mr. "Good Boy" incarnate. Then when he earns her trust, through gossip and being slimy, tries to get a date with her. As if she is going to reward his betrayal and back-stabbing.

Many women don't fall for it and can see through this game, so he gets nothing. He basically working to try and break up the relationships of other guys for nothing. It's as if these type of guys get a sick pleasure out of stealing a woman, versus finding their own.

I know a lot of people will not like hearing this or take offense, but my friends and I learned a long time ago not to trust the average Japanese guy when it comes to anything concerning women.

I believe it's a strong cultural difference, where most Japanese guys don't understand the code of "bros before hoes" or even abiding by "gentlemen's agreements". A lot of Japanese guys, if they are infatuated with your woman or think they have any chance with her, will betray you in the hope of befriending her at your expense. And especially if you are a foreigner. The more that such Japanese guys think they can get away with it, without any physical or financial repercussions, the more likely they are to try it.

You can identify these types of guys (not all do it, but too many) by these behavior traits.

1) Shows an excessive interest in your girlfriend.

Can even just be staring at her oddly or excessively. Note- This can also make your girlfriend uncomfortable, and is a quiet from of Japanese male intimidation.

He can also ask a lot of questions, that might seem innocent, but are not. Like how did you meet her, where she lives, etc...

2) They try to pull information or get you to brag about your sexual escapades, but HIDE what they do.

It's not an equal exchange of information. He then takes your secrets and uses it to smear you with Japanese or foreign women that you are dating that he likes.

Had a Japanese guy try to do this with a Czech girlfriend of mine some months back. He was telling her stories about me, behind my back. Most of his stories were bullshit, as I avoided telling him too much. Because she thought we were closer friends than we actually were, she was listening to it. He had sneakily exchanged LINE contacts with her behind my back, through a group exchange with 2 other people.

He thought he was getting somewhere with her, but it backfired, because she got pissed when it was clear he had a sexual interest and wanted to go out with her. It led to a very bad scene, where she and I had to curse him out and cut him off completely.

3) If they can't pull real information, but are infatuated with your woman enough, they then LIE and create bullshit.

Been in many club situations and other locations, where I'm talking to or a foreign friend is talking to a woman, and the Japanese guy is jealous over the conversation or relationship. When the foreign guy walks away from the table, the Japanese guy PRETENDS to know the foreign guy and claims he is a playboy, married, or whatever bullshit he can think of.

While at a bar type situation, it might not be so bad, it can wreck havoc if he knows you and her more thoroughly. Like an acquaintance or casual friend. You think the guy is cool or friendly, and he is the exact opposite. Putting knives in you back and doing dishonorable behavior or the type of drama that causes fights or people to get killed.

4) Pretends he is trying to "protect" women, but instead trying to sneak into her pussy.

This is a huge worm or bitch move, that certain guys will try. He pretends that all his actions and back-stabbing of the other guy or supposed friend is for her protection as if he is Mr. "Good Boy" incarnate. Then when he earns her trust, through gossip and being slimy, tries to get a date with her. As if she is going to reward his betrayal and back-stabbing.

Many women don't fall for it and can see through this game, so he gets nothing. He basically working to try and break up the relationships of other guys for nothing. It's as if these type of guys get a sick pleasure out of stealing a woman, versus finding their own.

Yes, I was originally just trying to warn him that she is crazy and to avoid her, but he deserves her. I hope they end up together in the future.

The same kind of shit happens in China, but not as often as here in Japan with the slimy Japanese guy bs. I had a gf in China and one Chinese guy would always tell me to stop dating Chinese women to my face. I would always just tell him to shut the hell up and that I can date and have a relationship with anyone I want. One time, he was butt-hurt that I spoke my mind and tried to lie about me to the woman I was dating to get her to break up with me. It didn't work though.

Another thing I want to try is tell the Japanese women I'm talking to in the bars that one of the Japanese guys staring at us will probably try to claim he knows me and say that I'm a player, bad guy when I get up to use the restroom. I would be playful about it and make it a bet as in "I will bet you 1,000 yen that when I get up to use the restroom, one of those guys will come lie to you about me." Something like this might be an interesting social experiment.

Reactions: Solong
Interesting. I met my first Japanese wingman last night at a party. We agreed to help each other with my guise as a business traveler here for a few days. He knew this and agreed to it. However, afterwards he had already told a good looking girl that I live and work here. It was fine, because there are many other opportunities later. But I hope this isn't a pattern that he will do on our first official meeting this friday at a club. I'll have to reiterate it to him again this weekend to make sure we are on a clear understanding. I guess I will find out. The thing is I've already told him I have family. He is married too but just him and his wife, of which she was out "drinking with her friends too" the night we met. He seems cool, but in my years of experience in one J-relationship I know that appearance can be deceiving.

I just told him to fuck off and that I don't want to be friends with a liar like him. I know I won't hear from him ever again, but I will be hearing back from our mutual "friend". He also claims they never slept with each other...yet she visits him in Tokyo every month or two and he comes to visit her here as well. They have also known each other for like two years or more.

I don't know guys...are there any of you here that would go all the way to another prefecture just for a friend...that you don't even have sex with or kiss even? Seems like a waste of time for me unless I already have a couple other women lined up as backup...

Interesting. I met my first Japanese wingman last night at a party. We agreed to help each other with my guise as a business traveler here for a few days. He knew this and agreed to it. However, afterwards he had already told a good looking girl that I live and work here. It was fine, because there are many other opportunities later. But I hope this isn't a pattern that he will do on our first official meeting this friday at a club. I'll have to reiterate it to him again this weekend to make sure we are on a clear understanding. I guess I will find out. The thing is I've already told him I have family. He is married too but just him and his wife, of which she was out "drinking with her friends too" the night we met. He seems cool, but in my years of experience in one J-relationship I know that appearance can be deceiving.
Dude, my pals and I have went down that route so many times with Japanese wingman. It appears to be a very strong cultural issue, where they backstab other guys out of self interest or petty jealousy.

Your success can bother them, so they appear to feel the need to pull you down or try taking your girl to make themselves feel better.

In my opinion, Japanese wingmen work best when it's in his direct interest to help you. Like you are his manager, he is a cuckold and wants to see you bang his woman, or he can use you to help his business.

Also, some Japanese women that date foreigners a lot, know or think that Japanese guys will cause trouble or get jealous. This includes the fear of the Japanese guys telling their secrets within their group and labeling as like foreign guys, so they will avoid your combination. In other words, if they want Japanese guys that night, then only that. If they want foreign guys that night, then only that, and they believe that they can hide things better.

Last edited:
You can't expect the dude that's introduced to you by a crazy women that's bipolar you know that's cheating to be your best bud.
I've been crossed by both Japanese & nonJapanese when it comes to women. A woman like you are describing will put two guys in the same room that she's doing, or has done just for the excitement. You also never know what she's saying to him about you.

I just told him to fuck off and that I don't want to be friends with a liar like him. I know I won't hear from him ever again, but I will be hearing back from our mutual "friend". He also claims they never slept with each other...yet she visits him in Tokyo every month or two and he comes to visit her here as well. They have also known each other for like two years or more.

I don't know guys...are there any of you here that would go all the way to another prefecture just for a friend...that you don't even have sex with or kiss even? Seems like a waste of time for me unless I already have a couple other women lined up as backup...

I have actually traveled to other countries routinely to meet female friends whom I have no sex with. It's called friendship and it may have eluded you so far, but there is a difference between friend and fuck buddy.

Of course this doesn't mean that your two acquaintances do not regularly have sex. Based upon your very one sided reports of course that is hard to judge for anyone ;)

It appears to be a very strong cultural issue, where they backstab other guys out of self interest or petty jealousy.

This is it exactly. Many years ago my Japanese "uncle" told me this same thing, everyone here is jealous of each other. So far over the years it has been proven true in almost every area of my life.

I know and have known in my life many men who have the attitude towards women that you express in the above quote. I can't think of a single one of them that appears to have had a successful/happy long term romantic relationship. The older ones (of my generation) are mostly living alone and feeling bitter about their lives. Sad to contemplate...

-Ww

I had this guy that I worked with in a Japanese company horn in on this Japanese girl I was occasionally sleeping with. I'm not sure what if anything he was telling her, but my fun ended soon after that.

And the dude was a white American guy.

I don't think that being covetous or attempts to sabotage relationships or cheating on your mate are uniquely Japanese phenomena. It's a different society, so these things manifest differently, but this whole "the duplicitous Japanese" stereotype is straight out of WWII propaganda.

I don't think that being covetous or attempts to sabotage relationships or cheating on your mate are uniquely Japanese phenomena. It's a different society, so these things manifest differently, but this whole "the duplicitous Japanese" stereotype is straight out of WWII propaganda.

What the man said!

Japanese culture is rather singular and has many unusual characteristics, both in the context of world cultures and among the narrower range of east asian ones. Anyone who hopes to make a happy and successful life as an expat in Japan surely does need to be mindful of all those cultural differences. Many of the surprising and unintuitive behaviors we gaijin encounter everyday from the local Japanese population in which we are immersed are indeed due to those cultural differences.

However, a different culture does not imply a different species! To attribute bad (or good) behavior that is common all over the world and in every human population by a Japanese person to their culture is basically racist. It is particularly hypocritical coming from foreigners in Japan who resent and decry the negative generalizations about gaijin (dirty, rude, loud, selfish, dishonest...) that are so common among Japanese and that are also racist.

-Ww

Last edited:
Reactions: patty diaz
Dear god. Do you guys actually live in Japan?

We're now claiming that Japanese men are uniquely duplicitous?

Some of the biggest assholes I know are French or American or Japanese. Some of the best people I know are French or American or Japanese.

Dear god. Do you guys actually live in Japan?

We're now claiming that Japanese men are uniquely duplicitous?

Some of the biggest assholes I know are French or American or Japanese. Some of the best people I know are French or American or Japanese.
You must mean me because I can be both.....but a line I won't cross is trying to steal something that someone else has.

I had this guy that I worked with in a Japanese company horn in on this Japanese girl I was occasionally sleeping with. I'm not sure what if anything he was telling her, but my fun ended soon after that.

And the dude was a white American guy.

Look, sorry not to always give a glowing report about anything and everything related to Japan. As if in Japan, everything and everyone is perfect Nirvana... Sorry to spoil the fantasy... I think trying to project and push such a fantasy is much more of what propaganda is. And must we attempt to bully everyone who doesn't agree with the Japanese Nirvana fantasy or politically correct narrative?

I'm speaking to what my experiences and those of people that I know. As to the reason how or why it might be culturally different in this particular regard:

1) There isn't as much awareness or fear of violence for possible passing certain relationship boundaries.

In the U.S. and many Western cultures, you know that "scheming" (which depends on one's view) or talking to somebody's woman behind their back can result in violence or even death. It's more understood.

My perception is that a lot of Japanese guys might not see it that way or understand the possible ramifications of their actions. They see a personal opportunity for themselves, and selfishly or blindly go for it.

2) Lack of diversity and jealousy

It occurs even in the U.S. and other countries where guys get jealousy fits over interracial or international relationships. If a woman of his color or nationality is dating somebody different, certain types of guys have strong emotional and mental issues.

Especially when a guy feels he is "superior" to another guy or perceives a woman choosing a guy outside of his group is somehow an insult to him (as if he is entitled to all women of his color or ethnic group).

But where such type of guys with racist or xenophobic views tend to be more physically overt in other countries, Japanese with such views can be more covert and the behavior more outwardly ambiguous or oddly passive-aggressive.

3) Seeing things as "His success, is my failure." "His failure, is my joy." "Hito no fukou wa mitsu no aji."

Some guys see themselves more strongly in terms of being in competition with other guys over women or in general. This competitiveness can manifest itself more strongly with Japanese guys that you know versus you don't know or because you are a foreigner. "How did he get with X woman, when I couldn't?"

Of course any race or nationality of guy can get all bent up over petty jealousy or competitiveness, but this type of behavior is well known in Japanese culture. Cultures can also have different levels of it that manifest to higher degrees in personal relationships.

"Hito no fukou wa mitsu no aji." It means, "Another man's misfortune tastes like honey." And many Japanese know exactly what this is about.

This past Friday was on a date with a gorgeous Japanese woman. We were in a bar that I know, with booths and leather sofas. As we were hugging and kissing up on each other, it was very clear we were there as a couple. 1 older guy gets so infatuated with her, he comes tripping over himself and makes the request she dance with him. She didn't want to, so told him sorry. Older dude then gets upset and starts trying to harass my girl into dancing with him. She seeking to avoid a confrontation and to humor the old guy, spontaneously jumps up and gives him a little dance for a few minutes. Instead of enjoying that moment, the old Japanese guy then proceeds to persist even more into making himself bothersome. "This your girl?" "Where did you meet her?" etc... To the extent that the bar staff had to tell the old guy to leave.

Now you might be saying, that's just a random event that can happen anywhere... About 1 hour later, younger single Japanese guy in his 30s enters the bar. Sees us dancing and grinding, with my girl, he clearly knows what's up. However, becomes infatuated with my girl too, so decides to just awkwardly and continuously stare at her. Dude even unbelievably gets a chair, directly in front of our booth. Unfortunately the bar seats are arranged this way, but people usually know not to be so mindlessly rude. Dude continues staring us down until the point of ridiculousness. I have to get up and tell the guy to move. Another kind of odd scene.

I've lived in Japan for MANY years, and can tell a long list of stories of the "odd behavior" of Japanese guys (who I both knew and didn't) that just so happen to occur involving women or on dates. Now for guys that are not dating a lot or are often staying home, they may never notice, but other guys that are out a lot can notice.

Do realize that there are different experiences and views about Japan. There are many reasons for this, but we all travel different paths. Also, Japanese culture isn't going to be the same as anywhere else, so clearly there will be differences or perceived differences, so nothing wrong with acknowledging this.

Last edited:
You can't expect the dude that's introduced to you by a crazy women that's bipolar you know that's cheating to be your best bud.
I've been crossed by both Japanese & nonJapanese when it comes to women. A woman like you are describing will put two guys in the same room that she's doing, or has done just for the excitement. You also never know what she's saying to him about you.

Yes, but to be fair, he didn't even know she was crazy until recently. She hides it well when she is with her friends. He even said she was talking and acting crazy on Line when she was talking about me recently. I will quote him: "I think she is a little crazy. I didn't understand what she said. I know you and her sometimes meet, but I'm not interested in that. I do not want involved about it. I will contact her and I will talk to her, you don't my friend."

You will notice that his English isn't very good as that is some of what he typed to me. So he is trying to blame me for "getting him involved" when it is actually her that is doing it. He somehow uses this retarded excuse to cut me off (good riddance) and continues to talk to the woman who involved him in the mess lol.

He is just trying to sleep with her. Open and shut case Johnson!

I know and have known in my life many men who have the attitude towards women that you express in the above quote. I can't think of a single one of them that appears to have had a successful/happy long term romantic relationship. The older ones (of my generation) are mostly living alone and feeling bitter about their lives. Sad to contemplate...

-Ww

I have had happy relationships in the past with this same attitude. I used to have more female friends in the past, but there was one female friend I had for years. One day, I found out that she assumed I had a crush on her the entire time, but I was just too shy to tell her...which was complete bullshit because I only saw her as a friend. She wasn't even my type. I never flirted with her or tried to make any moves on her the entire time I knew her, but she will stood by her belief that deep down I liked her. It wasn't until this moment in my life that I realized most women are full of themselves just like men. It makes sense when you see a woman walking down the street and she sees that you see her and assumes right away that you are checking her out, when in fact your eyes just randomly met with her eyes, body, etc.

Reactions: Solong
Look, sorry not to always give a glowing report about anything and everything related to Japan. As if in Japan, everything and everyone is perfect Nirvana... Sorry to spoil the fantasy... I think trying to project and push such a fantasy is much more of what propaganda is. And must we attempt to bully everyone who doesn't agree with the Japanese Nirvana fantasy or politically correct narrative?

I'm speaking to what my experiences and those of people that I know. As to the reason how or why it might be culturally different in this particular regard:

1) There isn't as much awareness or fear of violence for possible passing certain relationship boundaries.

In the U.S. and many Western cultures, you know that "scheming" (which depends on one's view) or talking to somebody's woman behind their back can result in violence or even death. It's more understood.

My perception is that a lot of Japanese guys might not see it that way or understand the possible ramifications of their actions. They see a personal opportunity for themselves, and selfishly or blindly go for it.

2) Lack of diversity and jealousy

It occurs even in the U.S. and other countries where guys get jealousy fits over interracial or international relationships. If a woman of his color or nationality is dating somebody different, certain types of guys have strong emotional and mental issues.

Especially when a guy feels he is "superior" to another guy or perceives a woman choosing a guy outside of his group is somehow an insult to him (as if he is entitled to all women of his color or ethnic group).

But where such type of guys with racist or xenophobic views tend to be more physically overt in other countries, Japanese with such views can be more covert and the behavior more outwardly ambiguous or oddly passive-aggressive.

3) Seeing things as "His success, is my failure." "His failure, is my joy." "Hito no fukou wa mitsu no aji."

Some guys see themselves more strongly in terms of being in competition with other guys over women or in general. This competitiveness can manifest itself more strongly with Japanese guys that you know versus you don't know or because you are a foreigner. "How did he get with X woman, when I couldn't?"

Of course any race or nationality of guy can get all bent up over petty jealousy or competitiveness, but this type of behavior is well known in Japanese culture. Cultures can also have different levels of it that manifest to higher degrees in personal relationships.

"Hito no fukou wa mitsu no aji." It means, "Another man's misfortune tastes like honey." And many Japanese know exactly what this is about.

This past Friday was on a date with a gorgeous Japanese woman. We were in a bar that I know, with booths and leather sofas. As we were hugging and kissing up on each other, it was very clear we were there as a couple. 1 older guy gets so infatuated with her, he comes tripping over himself and makes the request she dance with him. She didn't want to, so told him sorry. Older dude then gets upset and starts trying to harass my girl into dancing with him. She seeking to avoid a confrontation and to humor the old guy, spontaneously jumps up and gives him a little dance for a few minutes. Instead of enjoying that moment, the old Japanese guy then proceeds to persist even more into making himself bothersome. "This your girl?" "Where did you meet her?" etc... To the extent that the bar staff had to tell the old guy to leave.

Now you might be saying, that's just a random event that can happen anywhere... About 1 hour later, younger single Japanese guy in his 30s enters the bar. Sees us dancing and grinding, with my girl, he clearly knows what's up. However, becomes infatuated with my girl too, so decides to just awkwardly and continuously stare at her. Dude even unbelievably gets a chair, directly in front of our booth. Unfortunately the bar seats are arranged this way, but people usually know not to be so mindlessly rude. Dude continues staring us down until the point of ridiculousness. I have to get up and tell the guy to move. Another kind of odd scene.

I've lived in Japan for MANY years, and can tell a long list of stories of the "odd behavior" of Japanese guys (who I both knew and didn't) that just so happen to occur involving women or on dates. Now for guys that are not dating a lot or are often staying home, they may never notice, but other guys that are out a lot can notice.

Do realize that there are different experiences and views about Japan. There are many reasons for this, but we all travel different paths. Also, Japanese culture isn't going to be the same as anywhere else, so clearly there will be differences or perceived differences, so nothing wrong with acknowledging this.

I have had situations where I have had random Japanese guys staring me down while I'm making out with a Japanese woman. I never gave a shit. I literally was having a staring contest with a Japanese guy while a woman was blowing me.

This weird passive-aggressive shit has never even once happened to me in the US. Sure, if you hit on an American dude's gf and his gf is blowing you, then shit is going down...but if the American guys see me making out or having sex with a woman they don't know...they don't bother me at all.

Reactions: split and Solong
This is the exactly my point. She's playing both of you. She's married, most likely sleeping with him too & told him to be quiet about. Most likely made a premade story about you to combat when you try to phish info from dude or say she's crazy.

@Solong
Young military guys in Japan do the same damn thing while drinking. Especially the ones that buy into that I can pick up any fine woman. Had this happen on several occasions.

Reactions: John Chavers
This is the exactly my point. She's playing both of you. She's married, most likely sleeping with him too & told him to be quiet about. Most likely made a premade story about you to combat when you try to phish info from dude or say she's crazy.

@Solong
Young military guys in Japan do the same damn thing while drinking. Especially the ones that buy into that I can pick up any fine woman. Had this happen on several occasions.

Yes, well unlike that Japanese dude, I can be honest about her being a player and us being sex friends. He flat out denies they are having sex...even after I told him he can be honest and that I'm not even mad and don't give a shit if they are hooking up. Nope, he is still a douchebag that denies it. She also would pretend she loves me and that we had a relationship. She never would just admit that we were only sex friends. I just got tired of it and I blocked her and that guy on Line.

I have had situations where I have had random Japanese guys staring me down while I'm making out with a Japanese woman. I never gave a shit. I literally was having a staring contest with a Japanese guy while a woman was blowing me.

This weird passive-aggressive shit has never even once happened to me in the US. Sure, if you hit on an American dude's gf and his gf is blowing you, then shit is going down...but if the American guys see me making out or having sex with a woman they don't know...they don't bother me at all.

And that is the truth. There are all kinds of female and relationship stuff that I seen happen in Japan, that would be "Death, Murder, Kill!" in the U.S. and other places. Now, trust me when I say that I'm glad Japan is a less violent place. It's a plus. But with that, comes some negatives too, and that can be boldly or mindlessly stepping over boundaries that you would think people should know better or lots of passive-aggressiveness.

Reactions: TokyoJoeblow

@Solong

I'm quite aware of the behavior of some American military guys, but will have to say the type of behavior I've seen in Japan is a bit different. Not saying any other nationality of guy (like French, German, etc...) can't be rude or an asshole. But they usually know that they are stepping over a line that can or will lead to a physical altercation, or like the guy is drunk out of his mind. And we all know it can be a guy trying to bully you or purposely picking a fight.

In Japan, and from my observations, is that local guys can have no intention to fight whatsoever or know you will kick their ass or are very likely to, by virtue of you being obviously bigger and more muscular. In fact, it's the expectation that you won't beat the crap out of them, that can embolden some. In the example I gave this past Friday, that old guy knew he had no chance in winning a fight with me nor any shot of winning the girl I was with. It was more like a hungry man looking into a window and seeing people enjoying a loathe of bread and dinner. His eyes wide and licking his lips, he decides to throw a rock and break their window. While running away from doing such a despicable act, he is happy with himself. "Hito no fukou wa mitsu no aji."

Last edited:
local guys can have no intention to fight whatsoever or know you will kick their ass or are very likely to, by virtue of you being obviously bigger and more muscular. In fact, it's the expectation that you won't beat the crap out of them, that can embolden some

I'm not sure how your many years of living in Japan squares with your complaining that you can't kick someone's ass. Of COURSE Japanese people have no intention to fight. Japanese society is built on harmony, not individualism. Not really sure why there's outrage here.