Hiroshima - Yagenbori - Question about Massages

MrQuentin666

TAG Member
Reaction score
Hello guys, today I walked into the first massage parlor I found in the red light district of Hiroshima (see photos) and was hoping for a happy ending.

Admittedly, I'm a tourist and don't speak Japanese at all (apart from a few phrases). I opted for a 60 minute oil massage (¥6,000), stripped naked and was very excited. At first everything looked good, the young, slim lady obviously had no idea about massages, was wearing a dress that was far too short and had her hands much closer to my crown jewels than usual for a serious massage. In between she tried to communicate with me, unfortunately in vain. I didn't make any advances myself but waited until she started taking the initiative on her own, as I'm used to in Thailand or Hong Kong.

Long story short: after an hour she declared the massage was over and kindly sent me home. My question is: Was it my fault or the language barrier, or is that just what you get here as standard?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-09-12-23-52-51-15_3d9111e2d3171bf4882369f490c087b4.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-09-12-23-52-51-15_3d9111e2d3171bf4882369f490c087b4.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 119
  • IMG_20230912_181410.jpg
    IMG_20230912_181410.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 138
Hello guys, today I walked into the first massage parlor I found in the red light district of Hiroshima (see photos) and was hoping for a happy ending.

Admittedly, I'm a tourist and don't speak Japanese at all (apart from a few phrases). I opted for a 60 minute oil massage (¥6,000), stripped naked and was very excited. At first everything looked good, the young, slim lady obviously had no idea about massages, was wearing a dress that was far too short and had her hands much closer to my crown jewels than usual for a serious massage. In between she tried to communicate with me, unfortunately in vain. I didn't make any advances myself but waited until she started taking the initiative on her own, as I'm used to in Thailand or Hong Kong.

Long story short: after an hour she declared the massage was over and kindly sent me home. My question is: Was it my fault or the language barrier, or is that just what you get here as standard?
It’s totally your fault. Strike 1, You don’t speak the language. You could have avoided everything if you could speak Japanese and asked what was included in the service. Strike 2, Again since you’re a tourist you don’t have an idea of how much stuff cost around here, just looking at the price, it’s too cheap for anything sexual to happen. Strike 3, You didn’t do your homework before hand. Hiroshima is one of the shittiest places for foreigners to get serviced. It’s hard to find options for foreigners there. With that being said, I commend you for respecting boundaries and not making any sexual advances. It could have ended up ugly for you. Finally, Japan is a different playground compared to Thailand or Hongkong. You won’t get far mongering here without much Japanese, unless you go to the places reviewed here that don’t need Japanese ability. In Thailand for example, they’ll eagerly accept your money even if can’t speak Japanese.

seeing that there is a female on the receiving end of the massage on the sign should have been enough indication to assume that the massage is indeed the only thing they are selling.

It’s totally your fault. Strike 1, You don’t speak the language. You could have avoided everything if you could speak Japanese and asked what was included in the service. Strike 2, Again since you’re a tourist you don’t have an idea of how much stuff cost around here, just looking at the price, it’s too cheap for anything sexual to happen. Strike 3, You didn’t do your homework before hand. Hiroshima is one of the shittiest places for foreigners to get serviced. It’s hard to find options for foreigners there. With that being said, I commend you for respecting boundaries and not making any sexual advances. It could have ended up ugly for you. Finally, Japan is a different playground compared to Thailand or Hongkong. You won’t get far mongering here without much Japanese, unless you go to the places reviewed here that don’t need Japanese ability. In Thailand for example, they’ll eagerly accept your money even if can’t speak Japanese.
Thank you very much for your detailed answer. Then my guess was correct. Not tragic at all, it was an exciting and pleasant hour despite the language barrier and no sexual action. It goes without saying that I don't make any advance attempts on my own - Japan is by far the most polite country I've ever been to, so rude behavior as a tourist is out of the question.

The next stop is Kyoto, maybe I'll have more success there in a Pinsaro (N-Cats). 😅

Reactions: Airnest
seeing that there is a female on the receiving end of the massage on the sign should have been enough indication to assume that the massage is indeed the only thing they are selling.
Well, I don't know, it didn't seem like a normal massage parlor to me and my gut feeling is that someone who speaks Japanese will get more than just a massage there.

Thank you very much for your detailed answer. Then my guess was correct. Not tragic at all, it was an exciting and pleasant hour despite the language barrier and no sexual action. It goes without saying that I don't make any advance attempts on my own - Japan is by far the most polite country I've ever been to, so rude behavior as a tourist is out of the question.

The next stop is Kyoto, maybe I'll have more success there in a Pinsaro (N-Cats). 😅
I would just go hit up Osaka, as there are more options here. Kyoto is also lacking when it comes to sexual services and some foreigners have been rejected there. I recommend going to Juso and the Shinchis. You can enjoy these places without speaking Japanese. Many reviews about them can help you out. Looking forward to hear your reviews. Cheers.

I would just go hit up Osaka, as there are more options here. Kyoto is also lacking when it comes to sexual services and some foreigners have been rejected there. I recommend going to Juso and the Shinchis. You can enjoy these places without speaking Japanese. Many reviews about them can help you out. Looking forward to hear your reviews. Cheers.
Unfortunately, this time I am not flexible with my itinerary. But I'm sure your advice will be enjoyed by others on this forum. Cheers!

Reactions: Airnest
Unfortunately, this time I am not flexible with my itinerary. But I'm sure your advice will be enjoyed by others on this forum. Cheers!
If you only have time for Kyoto, I suggest checking these massage places, check out this guide. Hit up the Asian ones as they are sure to offer at least HJ or BJ and sometimes even FS, don’t go the Japanese as it will likely be the same as the one in Hiroshima https://kansai.es-johokan.com/sp/area-list.php?area=6300 Hope this helps.

My personal massage experiences have been mostly miss here. The masseuses are very reluctant to disrobe and the offers for a clothed HJ start at 5k in the Chinese shops I’ve visited, and one Thai shop sole proprietor wanted 10k to for a naked HJ. These shops are are all at the edge of Nagarekawa just beyond the soaplands. Any place I’ve gone inside Nagarekawa was a good and legit massage. N4 Japanese so able to handle basic communication.

Reactions: Alice and Airnest
Strike 3, You didn’t do your homework before hand. Hiroshima is one of the shittiest places for foreigners to get serviced. It’s hard to find options for foreigners there.

I just want to point out, there's a decent amount of foreign friendly soaplands in Hiroshima. I walked into almost every single soapland there and I had options. The downside is the ridiculous gaijin tax they charge (they use cityheaven traveler prices) and the more limited selection of girls. Maybe its different if you book with a girl. Granted I didn't play at all in Hiroshima but I would say a bunch of the soaps there were open to a brown Japanese-Speaking foreigner and some were also open to Non-Japanese speakers (this was Mid-August 2023).

Reactions: Cinnabums and Alice
I just want to point out, there's a decent amount of foreign friendly soaplands in Hiroshima. I walked into almost every single soapland there and I had options. The downside is the ridiculous gaijin tax they charge (they use cityheaven traveler prices) and the more limited selection of girls. Maybe its different if you book with a girl. Granted I didn't play at all in Hiroshima but I would say a bunch of the soaps there were open to a brown Japanese-Speaking foreigner and some were also open to Non-Japanese speakers (this was Mid-August 2023).
Things might have changed from before but not so much. There’s a reason why you don’t see much reviews of Hiroshima on TAG coz of the reasons you mentioned. The same can be said of Sapporo. It’s also a shitty place to monger and also few reviews here on TAG. I’d actually rather get rejected than for them to take my money and give me a landmine, which was what happened to me when I went there. If I were a tourist I’d just save my money for mongering in Tokyo, Yokohama or Osaka. Fukuoka has a good reputation as well. The other parts would be a gamble and you’ll most likely lose.

Things might have changed from before but not so much. There’s a reason why you don’t see much reviews of Hiroshima on TAG coz of the reasons you mentioned. The same can be said of Sapporo. It’s also a shitty place to monger and also few reviews here on TAG. I’d actually rather get rejected than for them to take my money and give me a landmine, which was what happened to me when I went there. If I were a tourist I’d just save my money for mongering in Tokyo, Yokohama or Osaka. Fukuoka has a good reputation as well. The other parts would be a gamble and you’ll most likely lose.
I'd also attribute part of that due to the lower expat population in both of those places, in any case agreed Tokyo/Yokohama/Osaka are way better value but there's still some options in hiroshima if anyone is horny enough. I'd strongly advise on booking with a girl ahead of time rather than a walkin, seems like a much higher chance of a landmine.

Reactions: Cinnabums
6000 yen does not include a hj in most of the massage shops here afaik.
Something more may have been on the table for a nice tip (like someone mentioned +5000 for clothed hj or so) but if you don’t ask you might never know. You could have at least tried to hint at it i think. Some girls start the upsell by themselves but not everyone.

Reactions: Cinnabums
The 9000/60min option may have yielded a better outcome but you need to communicate to make sure. If you can't even pantomime then you probably have no business trying, especially in Hiroshima which is usually somewhat friendly if you speak Japanese enough to talk your way in. I would not advise going there without basic Japanese skills, enough to communicate your experience, your expectations and whatever else you may be asked about. The keyword is "service" which is better understood if you say "sah-beese" or something close to that. Just think "service wa?" and "sah-beese wa?" at the same time and if they don't understand that you need to leave and save your money.

I get service at most places in Hiroshima but I know my way around and I usually have good luck talking to tencho explaining my expectation. It is probably very difficult to impossible if you don't have conversational Japanese.

Reactions: Alice