How about APA Hotel in shinagawa?

sunshine2k5

TAG Member
Reaction score
Dear all, could you give me some advice about APA Hotel in shingawa?
I found APA Hotel price at booking.com is very cheap.
I will go to Tokyo at Sep for some time, but I don’t know whether APA hotel is good or not.
Thank you!

Most all APA hotels are brand new and fairly clean.... The rooms are however, tiny.

I'd put APA at the 'average' mark for a hotel of its class.

Reactions: sunshine2k5
Same as Apa hotels everywhere. Expect to live in a box where you can barely put your bags on the floor.
Its clean though, no issues there.

If you want to call a companion to your room, the elevators need cards but the staff is usually not too nosy so if you meet a girl downstairs you can likely smuggle her upstairs without the extra costs.

Same as Apa hotels everywhere. Expect to live in a box where you can barely put your bags on the floor.
Its clean though, no issues there.

If you want to call a companion to your room, the elevators need cards but the staff is usually not too nosy so if you meet a girl downstairs you can likely smuggle her upstairs without the extra costs.
Thank you for your advice. If I want to meet a girl, I will choose LH:)

As Alice says, elevator smuggling is required before snuggling, but it's usually no issue to blend into the noisy crowd of tourists from mainland Asai.. lol. Once you're in the room it's tight so bodily unity is a must. Decent place with occasional good deals. I've found Asakusa Kuramae (my go-to place) for ¥5000 yen. And that includes top floor onsen. ¥5000 in 'murica would be a meth lab hotel

As Alice says, elevator smuggling is required before snuggling, but it's usually no issue to blend into the noisy crowd of tourists from mainland Asai.. lol. Once you're in the room it's tight so bodily unity is a must. Decent place with occasional good deals. I've found Asakusa Kuramae (my go-to place) for ¥5000 yen. And that includes top floor onsen. ¥5000 in 'murica would be a meth lab hotel
Thank you!
If it is just a place to stay, the tiny room for me I think is no problem.
If I want to meet a girl, I will not let her to APA, such as a small place is not very respectful to her, a small environment makes people do not feel better. Bathing is also inconvenient.

Reactions: AliceInWonderland
I've stayed at APA Shinagawa before and yes the rooms are a bit small, but still good. Also you can check out MyStay or MyHotel which are of comparable size and price...all relatively new, so means usually clean and "fresh"....

I've stayed at APA Shinagawa before and yes the rooms are a bit small, but still good. Also you can check out MyStay or MyHotel which are of comparable size and price...all relatively new, so means usually clean and "fresh"....
Thank you!

Love hotels are always a better option if your plans involve... er, love. They're decently priced, often have much bigger rooms, and are better equipped for the purpose (better bathrooms, lightning, 'massage' equipment, karaoke machines... lol). The staff know exactly why you're there and they don't care.

Business traveler hotels like APA are clean, functional, and more respectable -- but aren't really built for romance, or even more than one person at a time. You may also get suspicious looks or requests for ID for both guests from the front desk staff. Anyway, who wants to be respectable? Not me.

On the plus side, the business hotels usually offer breakfast, and unlike LHs you can book them in advance. If you're partying on a busy night or holiday, finding yourself on the cold street with your friend with all the rooms full will be a bigger mood-killer than any small room. And LHs (usually) don't let you leave once you're in the room, so make sure you have all the necessary supplies.

Reactions: MikeH and Ken1988
I like APA hotels.
Very comfy beds - always sleep well there.
Good HVAC system, you won't overheat in winter or freeze your ass off.
Lobby has a nice scent too...something camphor-based which brings back memories from childhood.

But yes, it is a tight squeeze. I can't even open up my suitcase fully.

On the plus side, the business hotels usually offer breakfast, and unlike LHs you can book them in advance. If you're partying on a busy night or holiday, finding yourself on the cold street with your friend with all the rooms full will be a bigger mood-killer than any small room. And LHs (usually) don't let you leave once you're in the room, so make sure you have all the necessary supplies.
Hotels usually allow you to leave during a "stay", and the fancier ones often have free breakfast if you book a "stay".

Reactions: Sterling
Hotels usually allow you to leave during a "stay", and the fancier ones often have free breakfast if you book a "stay".

Oh that's good to know, thanks. I have left during a "stay" in the past, but they seemed like they disapproved of such things.

Oh that's good to know, thanks. I have left during a "stay" in the past, but they seemed like they disapproved of such things.
I imagine if the doors are autolock, its annoying for the staff.
If they are not autolock, often you still have to give your roomplate to the front desk and say you are leaving to get some food or something.
But i do think the majority of hotels accept it, although its easier for them if you stay inside.

The JHT group hotels have a colab with doutor for free breakfast when you are staying i think, but i've never tried that.

Reactions: Sterling
You can book a lot of LH for days at a time on booking.com these days. Most of them have good reviews from the people that took them up on it. I've considered trying it but decided to stick to places used to dressing with lots of English speaking foreigners with plenty of English speaking staff until I learn at least basic Japanese.

You can book a lot of LH for days at a time on booking.com these days. Most of them have good reviews from the people that took them up on it. I've considered trying it but decided to stick to places used to dressing with lots of English speaking foreigners with plenty of English speaking staff until I learn at least basic Japanese.
Some of the staff at JHT group does speak decent English and they are very foreigner friendly and no autolocks on the rooms and such.
JMex seems to be their most rented out to tourists place. If you can get it for a good deal i'd recomment it, its gorgeous.

I have a partner who prefers to avoid the "seediness" of love hotels so I learned a bunch about various "day use" deals which are easy to set up and price compare on websites like yoyaq.com or even agoda. Our meetings were always during the daytime so the timing worked well. Also, I really liked the pricing for a 4 to 6 hour stay. Of course APA was always in my lineup for these "day use" arrangements.

Reactions: Ken1988 and MikeH
This may not be a consideration, but there is this
https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2...deny-1937-rape-nanking-olympics/#.WpgbFpNuZ5M

Good point, no Chinese tourists! (They will all be at the Toyoko Inn)
Bad point, they make a point of demanding the photocopy of foreigners' passports. The one time I stayed there, I told them that I lived in Japan and I don't carry my passport around. This made the clerk very unhappy. I said I would fax a copy of my passport when I got home. I lied...

This may not be a consideration, but there is this
https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2...deny-1937-rape-nanking-olympics/#.WpgbFpNuZ5M

Good point, no Chinese tourists! (They will all be at the Toyoko Inn)
Bad point, they make a point of demanding the photocopy of foreigners' passports. The one time I stayed there, I told them that I lived in Japan and I don't carry my passport around. This made the clerk very unhappy. I said I would fax a copy of my passport when I got home. I lied...
saw plenty of Chinese tourists at APA. I don't think they really give a rats arse and will just go for whatever is cheaper.

When this was in the news, they were scarce, but hotel space may be at a premium. Or they may be writing shit in the books...