How Difficult Is Driving In Japan?

TokyoJoeblow

TAG Member
Reaction score
I realize that driving anywhere in Tokyo is probably a nightmare, but what about in smaller cities? I just got my Japanese driver's license this week, but I want to research and ask around before I just rent a car and hit the streets.

When you are out driving around, whether it be downtown Tokyo or out in the countryside...do police ever pull you over or follow you just because they noticed you are a foreigner driving around?

Also, if say you get into some sort of fender bender/speeding ticket, etc. and you can't afford the cost to pay for it (even with insurance) what happens? Do they just revoke your license? Do they take you to jail in lieu of the fine?

I would appreciate any advice or information about driving in Japan from those with the experience.

I realize that driving anywhere in Tokyo is probably a nightmare, but what about in smaller cities? I just got my Japanese driver's license this week, but I want to research and ask around before I just rent a car and hit the streets.

When you are out driving around, whether it be downtown Tokyo or out in the countryside...do police ever pull you over or follow you just because they noticed you are a foreigner driving around?

Also, if say you get into some sort of fender bender/speeding ticket, etc. and you can't afford the cost to pay for it (even with insurance) what happens? Do they just revoke your license? Do they take you to jail in lieu of the fine?

I would appreciate any advice or information about driving in Japan from those with the experience.

Driving in Tokyo is a horror experience every time out. The small winding roads with no signs, the crazy aggressive drivers who narrowly miss hitting everything they pass, the bicycles ignoring traffic rules, and the pedestrians
who couldn't care less if you are approaching them. The entire city is out there to ding up your car.

The smaller cities are easier to navigate because of more space and less traffic, but there are a lot of old people in rural areas and a good portion of them shouldn't even be driving.
Also, more space, the more aggressive drivers there are.

I'm white and I've never been followed around by the police. No need to be paranoid about this. This isn't the U.S. where police might stop a black guy for driving a Porsche.

If you can't pay your ticket, your license is revoked until you pay it off. Jail time depends on what you did, but if the crime does not require jail time, all you get is a suspended license.

Also, some advice, the cities with the craziest drivers are Osaka/Kobe, Nagoya, and Hikone. If you get in a traffic jam on the highway in these areas, you'll see how far people
will go to cut you off and tell you to get out of the way and change lanes. Had a punk in a car in Hikone turn his high beams into my rear view mirror because he wanted me to go
over the speed limit. He did this for 5 whole minutes while I waited for an opportunity to change lanes. What he did was a declaration of his trying to kill me.

Last edited:
Reactions: TokyoJoeblow
Driving a car and a motorcycle in central Tokyo - never been pulled over gotten so much as a parking ticket.

It's not such a nightmare as people make it out to be. Admittedly, the bike is much faster to get around (lane splitting, etc) and parking is def. easier. With the car, it's slower to get around but if you live here long enough, you know the roads well enough to not get yourself in a bind.

Everywhere else in Japan, is a snap to drive in.

Drivers from Nagoya - probably the most reckless I've seen since I've lived here.

It's a bit overwhelming at first. The right-seat driving, the moments you trigger the windshield wiper instead of the turn signal..
The speed limit is low, so it helps concentrate in a way.
The Navigation system can get lost with the suspended highways (sometimes it can't tell if you're on it or bellow or on the side ? :) ). Also you can end up driving in the smallest one-way streets, which is fun (avoid the parked bicycle, the walking grandma..)
But for all these funny reasons and more, I really love driving in Japan, it's actually becoming quite a hobby when I go there.

Last edited:
Just don't drive like you post and you should be okay. And let us know when you enter the Kanto area. Cheers.

Totally classic response by R.O.B!!! I stand in awe and a bit jealous that I can't think of one as good as his.

Mr. Blow,

Before renting a car in Tokyo, I strongly recommend that you sign up for driving lessons as described in the following article:

https://www.govoyagin.com/activitie...-karts-and-ride-around-akihabara/2534?lang=en

Here's a photo:
Mario_Kart-6.jpg

And a video:

These are the folks who will keep the rest of us safe when you drive the streets of Tokyo:
police.jpg

I've been driving and riding all over Japan for years.... Tokyo is complicated, but generally very orderly. The only real issue in general here is cyclists who pretty much ignore red lights and stop signs.

I find driving in smaller towns to be more hazardous; as Rider pointed out, the more space people get, the more aggressively they drive. The Kansai area in general has more aggressive drivers, and Nagoya the most aggressive of all. Around Shizuoka, especially up in the hills, keep an eye out for motorcycles once the snow's gone.

Cops won't single you out for being foreign, and traffic enforcement is pretty lax in general, but mind your speed - 20 over on regular roads is three points, and at six points you get your license suspended. Points stay on your license for a year or until you get a suspension. Each suspension you get gives you a lower threshold, so if you get a suspension, then your next suspension is only 4 points away. Your suspension "clock" resets like the points, one year of no suspensions and you're back to normal.

One important thing - there are two types of insurance. Jibaeseki is the compulsory insurance. Ni'nin is optional. If you drive without ni'nin insurance, you're setting yourself up to be royally screwed - jibaeseki doesn't cover you or your vehicle for anything, only the other person, and you have to repay any payout to the other party from jibaeseki. If you're unable to pay, they'll seize bank accounts and garnish wages until the debt is cleared. Jibaeseki also has pretty limited coverage, so you can find yourself being sued for medical bills. To give you some perspective, my buddy rear-ended a van a few years ago, and the damage to the van came to about a million yen, the rental vehicle replacement while the van was in the shop was 800,000 yen, and the driver's medical bills were around a million yen - whiplash is costly. Add to that around 500,000 yen in compensation money, and the total payout on that accident was about 3.3 million yen, not counting repairs to my buddy's own truck. If he had been on jibaeseki, that would have all come out of his pocket. As he was on ni'nin, he just paid a 50,000 yen deductible for repairs to his truck, and had his rates increased. If you can't afford ni'nin insurance, you shouldn't be on the road. An accident without that coverage could completely ruin you.

Sudsy gives wise and comprehensive advice. Follow it or place yourself at considerable risk.

I've even heard co-workers relate that their passports were confiscated to ensure they met their obligations when involved in accidents.

I've been driving in Japan since 1999 and have not experienced much of anything that would be unusual in the States.

There are circumstances to be aware about. One is parking. If you purchase a vehicle, you must go to the local municipal police department confirming that your residence has sufficient parking spaces for your vehicle/s. I own two cars and the police visited my residence before awarding the certificate. If your residence does not have a parking space, you must show proof that you have rented a space in the neighborhood. I'm not positive about this, but I believe yellow plate vehicles are exempt from this requirement.

Every local area has their own parking regulations and you must be aware of them and comply. For example, we had a new house built, but the driveway was not completed before we moved in. For the three days it was being constructed we parked on a nearby, relatively deserted street. All was OK for the first night, however, the next morning the car had a cable attached with a parking violation. My wife had to go to the local police department to get it removed. She was able to convince the officers to tear up the ticket once we promised to never do so again and to never tell anyone they let us off. We discovered, then, that the local community association had a special parking lot available. We have used that lot when her parents have spent a few days with us.

Once while driving in Tokyo, I was pulled over by a motorcycle officer, like the ones in the picture above. My wife, who serves as the navigator when we go on excursions, told me to turn right on a street. We did not notice the sign that limited such turns except at night. After profusely apologizing, we were let off with a warning.

Be aware, also, that there are certain times of the year when traffic officers are holding special "campaigns" to catch violators. You must be especially vigilant during those campaigns.

Keep you eyes open and learn the habits of the local police. For example, in my neighborhood, there is a stop sign at the top of our little mountain. One officer will hide behind a hedge to spot those not coming to a complete stop. A block down the road is another officer flagging down those that did not comply. Every time I see them they have plenty of customers.

The same goes for "speed traps," equipped with officers using radar. I have often smugly passed drivers caught in these traps for being so baka to get caught. Last year, my wife warned me about one near where I work and I dismissed her warning saying I already knew about the spot. When "karma" (ouch) struck, I was caught and received my first traffic ticket since living in Japan.

It cost me Yen 15,000 to pay the ticket and a Coach bag in compensation to my wife. Ouch again!!!
coach bag.jpg

I have been driving in and around Tokyo for 30 years and regularly use the highways. Advice on driving:

1. do not take liberties with parking your car - designated spaces are taken seriously here unless you are a taxi or takubin etc on official business.
2. do not get fazed by people who do dumb things, and they are legion - there is no point screaming etc., just forget it and try to not be near them when they really fuck up.
3. grow eyes in the back of your head, and sides if you can manage it.
4. it's not Kansas, Toto - the rules are not always the rules, as with many things in Japan, and it will take time to learn them. Watch and think about what people do (see 2).
5. understand that you will make mistakes in cities and give yourself extra time to get where you want to go. Just try again and take in the lesson.
6. it is okay to cut in if you are nice about it (make eye contact, smile, bow, flash you hazard lights to say 'Domo') - and it's karmic (see 4)
7. just do not be an arsehole (see 1-6)

I have driven all around Japan, without any problem. I don't read Kanjis, but no need. Better though to get a GPS with an English voice, that may help.
Tokyo is far less scary than Paris, Rome etc...

I'm not positive about this, but I believe yellow plate vehicles are exempt from this requirement.

That varies depending on the municipality. In most of metro Tokyo, it's required, in more rural areas, it's often not.

6. it is okay to cut in if you are nice about it (make eye contact, smile, bow, flash you hazard lights to say 'Domo') - and it's karmic (see 4)

That's an important one - flash your blinkers a few times to say sorry/thank you, and if you're letting someone in, flash your brights at them a couple times to signal that you you're making room for them so they'll merge faster. It's also worth noting that some Japanese drivers will flash their lights at you to warn you about speed traps, so if you see flashing lights in the oncoming traffic, slow down.

The same goes for "speed traps," equipped with officers using radar. I have often smugly passed drivers caught in these traps for being so baka to get caught. Last year, my wife warned me about one near where I work and I dismissed her warning saying I already knew about the spot. When "karma" (ouch) struck, I was caught and received my first traffic ticket since living in Japan.

It's worth noting that they actually publish the locations of these traps ahead of time in a government newspaper, nationwide. If you get a good radar detector with GPS, you can get downloads of this data (updated weekly) to update your detector, which will also have all the speed cameras as well. Mine's a Yupiteru, cost me about 60K, and has more than paid for itself. Also - speed cameras are usually set to trigger at 50-60 over the posted speed limit.

20 years ex driving in Japan no problems. Do not drive drunk and always use legit parking spaces. Be kind behind the wheel, practice defensive driving and look out for pedestrians and bicycles. If you get in n accident you will be at fault to a point.

Otherwise, Happy Motoring!

Good advice and info from posters above; compared to my simpleton post. :p

One word on parking: You can briefly stop on the side of the road, where there's no parking immediately accessible. As long as someone is with the vehicle, it's fine. If the vehicle is left alone -- the parking guys (at least around tokyo) will start ticketing the vehicle. (taking pictures, measuring, etc. etc.) if you show up before they finish, they forget and move on.

Around Shizuoka, especially up in the hills, keep an eye out for motorcycles once the snow's gone.

Yes, please be vigilant. :) I also just assume cars & trucks can't see me... so that's how I handle vehicles. I will also likely pass you because I don't like being in-between two cars for safety reasons.

The insurance, it's quite cheap here. So, please don't rely on the default insurance for the reasons already discussed. I get pretty good coverage for both my car and bike for about 90,000 yen/year. (I do pay for other options for services; without those options, it would be more like 70k/year)

It's worth noting that they actually publish the locations of these traps ahead of time in a government newspaper, nationwide. If you get a good radar detector with GPS, you can get downloads of this data (updated weekly) to update your detector, which will also have all the speed cameras as well. Mine's a Yupiteru, cost me about 60K, and has more than paid for itself. Also - speed cameras are usually set to trigger at 50-60 over the posted speed limit.

This is great. I will invest in this for sure.

Where will you get the money from if you have to give everything to ur wife?

I imagine I would have to pay some money her way, but not all my money...

or is Japan one of those countries that just lets an ex-wife completely drain her ex-husband just because she feels "emotionally unstable" or accuses me of cheating, abuse, etc.?

Don't know whether TJB was joking about the radar (won't need one if he follow the advice HE asked for) but since he values the advice that avoids the law/rules and he clearly colours outside the lines, I doubt it. I guess we can expect a traffic-themed episoooode down the line.

Don't know whether TJB was joking about the radar (won't need one if he follow the advice HE asked for) but since he values the advice that avoids the law/rules and he clearly colours outside the lines, I doubt it. I guess we can expect a traffic-themed episoooode down the line.

*down the road

;-)

I'm currently residing up in northern Japan and I have to say it's probably way easier to drive here. Of course if you just came from the state's you'll still have a little bit of trouble adjusting to the smaller roads but it'll take less than a day to acclimate to them. I haven't been pulled over by any cops, I don't think they'll pull you over just for having a different plate either, but hey I've only been here for a week and a half.

Although I have driven a car a few times in my life, I have never had a driver's license. I am not planning to get one in the future either unless something causes me to move to
countryside.

I know I have zero sense of driving.

Been driving here since 2011, got 2 tickets, both were bullshit.

I was doing 101 in an 80 zone. I was in the middle lane, and cars were passing me on the left AND right, cops pull just me over and issue me a ticket.

Next ticket was a cop pulled me over after making a right turn. He tells me I can't make a turn there, and I tell him that I make this right turn every day, see hundreds of others make this right turn every day, and I've made this right turn in front of police before, no problems. I point back to where I made the turn and said look, there's not even any sign there saying you can't make a right turn. He looks back to where the turn was, it wasn't far back because he nabbed me right as I made the turn, turns back to me and and says you can't make a turn there. 7,500 yen down the drain. 3 years later, there's still no sign.

Also, red light running. Apparently there's a good 5 second grace period where you can do through the light after it's red. When I'm making a (different) right turn to go home and the oncoming traffic gets the red light and I get a green arrow to turn for about 8 seconds, I usually have to wait for 4, 5, or 6 cars to finish running their red light so I can turn. I've almost missed my whole green arrow many times. Blows my mind.

Been driving for years, never got a ticket. Tokyo is easy, small towns sometimes less so. Usually the roads are not so well lit and older folks tend to walk in the road wearing dark clothes so I drive very carefully.

I was doing 101 in an 80 zone. I was in the middle lane, and cars were passing me on the left AND right, cops pull just me over and issue me a ticket.

Next ticket was a cop pulled me over after making a right turn. He tells me I can't make a turn there, and I tell him that I make this right turn every day, see hundreds of others make this right turn every day, and I've made this right turn in front of police before, no problems. I point back to where I made the turn and said look, there's not even any sign there saying you can't make a right turn. He looks back to where the turn was, it wasn't far back because he nabbed me right as I made the turn, turns back to me and and says you can't make a turn there. 7,500 yen down the drain. 3 years later, there's still no sign.

I wrote of my driving experience in Japan a few posts above, so I won't repeat. I definitely sympathize with you Gunslinger44, so please understand, none of this is criticism.

My advice is upon being stopped is to lower your eyes, bow, even if you are still seated, and repeatedly and humbly chant, "Sumimasen, Sumimasen, Sumimasen." Arguing to a Japanese police officer is an act of defiance-one that casts you as an outlaw gunslinger.

It's worked all but one time in seventeen years of driving in Japan. As stated above, in two instances, I've even had parking tickets excused at the local police headquarters-something in the States that only a judge would rarely do.

Best of luck in the future!