Guest viewing is limited

How expensive are things in Japan right now?

hibikeship

TAG Member
Reaction score
I'm planning for my trip for Japan. Hoping things will open up more normally by November 2022, but I'm also considering Hanami Season 2023 if one can visit without the guided tours at that point in time.

I'm trying to plan for a budget (adding cushion to my travel buckets), and I'm curious how inflation is looking right now.

Everything in the US is eye-wateringly more expensive than normal, and the government is trying to slow down the crazy 5-8% inflation.

How is Japan's inflation looking right now? Japan seems to still have a loose monetary policy. I was last in Japan in March/ April 2018 and things weren't extremely expensive if you knew how to spend wisely.

Mostly looking at basic living things like food at restaurants, transit, accommodations, etc.

Ah inflation, like a fungal infection it had to come back eventually. Trains & taxis have always been a little pricy. No change there. Hotels: do shop around, you can get some excellent value these days, particular with business hotels; the Ryokan dinner, breakfast & traditional room experience is not exceptional value, prices mostly unchanged over the past 5 years. Conbini food remains cheap, and so too the fast food chains. You mentioned you are from the US. Well, the only sure thing is that Japan is generally cheaper than LA or SF. Plus you get service with a smile & you don't need to tip.

Reactions: hibikeship
I'm planning for my trip for Japan. Hoping things will open up more normally by November 2022, but I'm also considering Hanami Season 2023 if one can visit without the guided tours at that point in time.

I'm trying to plan for a budget (adding cushion to my travel buckets), and I'm curious how inflation is looking right now.

Everything in the US is eye-wateringly more expensive than normal, and the government is trying to slow down the crazy 5-8% inflation.

How is Japan's inflation looking right now? Japan seems to still have a loose monetary policy. I was last in Japan in March/ April 2018 and things weren't extremely expensive if you knew how to spend wisely.

Mostly looking at basic living things like food at restaurants, transit, accommodations, etc.
If you're coming from the States, the Dollar is almost 130 against the yen so ur making over 25% when you get off the plane.

Ah inflation, like a fungal infection it had to come back eventually. Trains & taxis have always been a little pricy. No change there. Hotels: do shop around, you can get some excellent value these days, particular with business hotels; the Ryokan dinner, breakfast & traditional room experience is not exceptional value, prices mostly unchanged over the past 5 years. Conbini food remains cheap, and so too the fast food chains. You mentioned you are from the US. Well, the only sure thing is that Japan is generally cheaper than LA or SF. Plus you get service with a smile & you don't need to tip.

Trains and taxis? Pricy? I don't know what country you are from, but it can't be the UK because trains and taxis in Japan are a fraction of the price of trains and taxis in the UK. As is food, accommodation, and, well, just about everything. EVERYTHING is cheaper in Japan, and even on top of that everything is better value. A meal at a decent restaurant in Tokyo will cost you a fraction of the price of a decent restaurant in LA or SF, and the food and service will be better and you won't have to pay a tip.

Hmm,

Sounds like if I use my budget from 2018, it should be pretty similar in terms of price sensitivity.

I would be using the JR Pass, and buses/ metro so transit isn't a huge concern. Hotel is always something to look for, but sounds like just something to shop around. Ryokan is always extremely expensive in my experience, so not surprised there.

Sounds like Food in combini and restaurants seems to be not too badly affected by pricing, so that is good to know.

What about attractions like Castles, parks, shrines, etc? Any crazy rate hikes?

Not really. I have been to some touristy spots while the actual tourists are away, I didn't notice any real price change.

Reactions: hibikeship
The horror…. How can I trust anything or anyone now ? :(

You are right, that makes one to rethink his whole life. I mean are those water buffaloes even sick at all?

Hmm,

Sounds like if I use my budget from 2018, it should be pretty similar in terms of price sensitivity.

I would be using the JR Pass, and buses/ metro so transit isn't a huge concern. Hotel is always something to look for, but sounds like just something to shop around. Ryokan is always extremely expensive in my experience, so not surprised there.

Sounds like Food in combini and restaurants seems to be not too badly affected by pricing, so that is good to know.

Castles, parks, shrines. All of these are originally free. If you’re talking about Disney land or universal studios no increase yet as of June 2022.
As mentioned above, yen is currently weak about 20% before pandemic so everything is cheaper because of exchange rate