How to get a JP mobile NO?

sunshine2k5

TAG Member
Reaction score
Hi, everybody :
Could you tell me how to get a Japanese mobile phone number?
I can use this mobile NO to make a phone call, also can receive phone call, and I want to know how to charge?
But problem is I only have passport, and I am not always in Japan.
Could I use my passport to apply for?
Is there such a kind mobile NO exist?
Thank you!

Sure:

1) Get a visa that allows you residential status,

2) Choose from one of the many providers.

It is not legal to issue a Japanese phone number to a non-resident.

Hi, everybody :
I can use this mobile NO to make a phone call, also can receive phone call, and I want to know how to charge?
But problem is I only have passport, and I am not always in Japan.
Could I use my passport to apply for?
Is there such a kind mobile NO exist?
Thank you!

You can get a mobile number from a Japanese SIM sold in Yodobashi Camera.

Sure:

1) Get a visa that allows you residential status,

2) Choose from one of the many providers.

It is not legal to issue a Japanese phone number to a non-resident.
Not sure if it's not legal but as a non-resident I happened to get my Japanese phone number from an (unsuccessful and discontinued) plan sold by China Unicom in Hong Kong.

It's a Softbank number that won't expire if I top up a minimum of 2400 yen a year. But if I need to really use it, it'll be a hefty 5980 yen per month for 10GB of data plus unlimited voice and text...

There are a few shops that do voice/text SIM rental for visitors. Besides the one Ken mentioned, SoftBank Rental https://www.softbank-rental.jp/en/rental_japan/sim_card.php is another where they will lend you Japanese SIMs for voice/text. I usually use that shop when I go to Japan and needs a local number for P4P purpose. Some DH shops just won't accept foreign numbers through Skype and I am not gonna use the hotel phone to call them LOL.

Not sure if it's not legal but as a non-resident I happened to get my Japanese phone number from an (unsuccessful and discontinued) plan sold by China Unicom in Hong Kong.

Yeah, not legal - it's the provider that's breaking the law, not the consumer, mind.

This one is legit. Just make sure to buy a "Data and Voice SIM" at their sales point in your arriving airport. It's valid only 15 days though.
https://sim.telecomsquare.co.jp/data_voice.html

These guys are trying a dodge to get around the law by limiting the SIM validity, but others have tried and failed with that one.

FWIW, the law is that "non-residents cannot be provided access to any permanently connected voice phone lines.", and cell phone numbers are considered to be permanently connected.

These guys are trying a dodge to get around the law by limiting the SIM validity, but others have tried and failed with that one.

FWIW, the law is that "non-residents cannot be provided access to any permanently connected voice phone lines.", and cell phone numbers are considered to be permanently connected.

I don't know which law you refer to, but the "Act for Identification, etc. by Mobile Voice Communications Carriers of their Subscribers, etc.and for Prevention of Improper Use of Mobile Voice Communications Services (Act No. 31 of 2005)" doesn't say anything as such.

In fact, the Act says it is legal for the phone rental companies to prove the services to a foreigner without residency who can show the passport in person, and the Ministry's Q&A clarifies it (item 5-1).
http://www.soumu.go.jp/main_sosiki/joho_tsusin/d_syohi/050526_1.files/Page443.html

Also it is legal for the mobile carriers to provide the services to a foreigner without residency who can show the passport and a proof of address abroad (item 4-5).
http://www.soumu.go.jp/main_sosiki/joho_tsusin/d_syohi/050526_1.files/Page444.html

The government itself is frustrated with the fact that so few voice mobile options are available for visiting tourists. The situation may improve a bit soon.
http://www.soumu.go.jp/menu_news/s-news/01kiban08_03000282.html

I don't know which law you refer to, but the "Act for Identification, etc. by Mobile Voice Communications Carriers of their Subscribers, etc.and for Prevention of Improper Use of Mobile Voice Communications Services (Act No. 31 of 2005)" doesn't say anything as such.

Interestingly it's just the same law the operators use to deny foreigners without valid residence permit and address in Japan their services.

The law says you need to identify the subscriber and collect name, address and date of birth. If you don't the maximum punishment is two years in prison.

Now the law doesn't say which methods you can use to identify your customers but refers to MIC Ordinances which I haven't been able to find online. But second hand sources say they tell driver's license, insurance card or certificate of residence by the ward office are allowed.

That is why they haven't allowed foreign passports to be used as identification method as they cannot confirm the address. At the same time I am told Japanese passport with the address written by the person him/herself has been enough.

Now the Q&A found by you clearly states that for foreigners writing down the address of their home country is sufficient. I don't know how old this interpretation is but all the big carriers still state you need a permanent address in Japan in their web pages.

Reactions: Ken1988 and Sudsy
Now the Q&A found by you clearly states that for foreigners writing down the address of their home country is sufficient. I don't know how old this interpretation is but all the big carriers still state you need a permanent address in Japan in their web pages.

Yep, nobody wants to be the one that somebody makes an example of - and that Q&A isn't a legal opinion, it's a ministry interpretation, which is not legally binding and also subject to change at the whim of the ministry.
legal for the phone rental companies

Those are a different breed, as in they rent handsets with SIM installed, and are legal - but expensive.

Reactions: MikeH
Now the law doesn't say which methods you can use to identify your customers but refers to MIC Ordinances which I haven't been able to find online. But second hand sources say they tell driver's license, insurance card or certificate of residence by the ward office are allowed.

That is why they haven't allowed foreign passports to be used as identification method as they cannot confirm the address. At the same time I am told Japanese passport with the address written by the person him/herself has been enough.

The MIC ordinance is here.
https://elaws.e-gov.go.jp/search/elawsSearch/elaws_search/lsg0500/detail?lawId=417M60000008167

My interpretation of the ordinance is that a foreigner without residency even doesn't need an address certification if he can produce a valid passport in person at the time of purchase (Article 3.1.1, i and Article 5.1.3). However, this (Article 5.1.3 of the ordinance) contradicts the original Act's Article 3 which says identity must be checked on name, address and date of birth. Q&A's interpretation is obviously a compromised one - which indeed makes no sense. For rental, the ordinance clearly states that a passport number will do (Article 17, 18, 19) in lieu of an address.

Those three major mobile carriers are reluctant to give mobile services to short-term foreign visitors because their services are predominantly post-paid. Thus you need a Japanese bank account (or a Japanese credit card which is linked to a Japanese bank account) from the start. If you don't have your Zairyu card, you can't purchase a contract with them because you can't open a bank account. This is what the MIC pointed out recently as "the obstacle"...if so, accepting foreign credit cards with passports is the simple and effective solution of the issue. I think there will be some improvements before the Olympics.

I did a research, and found out Softbank still has this plan for foreigners like what I got from China Unicom.

But now it's provided by a UK provider called Mobal.

https://www.mobal.com/japan-sim-card/#ex1

I think it's the US subsidiary of Mobell, a UK company which also has an office in Tokyo. They provide a similar data/voice SIM service to Japanese expats in the US and UK through HanaCell brand. They probably know how to do business legally in Japan well.

contradicts the original Act

Most of Japanese law condensed to four words.

reluctant to give mobile services to short-term foreign visitors because their services are predominantly post-paid.

They're also worried about the police and prosecutors' interpretation of the law, which tends to be a lot more conservative than the ministry's.

The cops don't want short term or prepaid services to get a foothold because of their usefuleness to fraudsters and other crooks, as well as visa overstayers and illegal immigrants.

Personally I figure limiting the tourist/nonresident numbers to 050 with no SMS capability would take care of that issue.

Personally I figure limiting the tourist/nonresident numbers to 050 with no SMS capability would take care of that issue.
Oops - that shoulda read 040.

Or hey, 020 (2 for ツーリスト)

Reactions: Acid Burn
Not sure if this is still possible as I haven't been a resident for over a decade, but while I was living in Japan I would buy my visiting friends prepaid cell phones from Softbank, registered to my gaijin card and residency, which they could recharge online while in-country. So long as they came back regularly and recharged while in Japan, they had working phones with a number, talk and text every time they visited. Granted, this was a decade ago, so these were cheap folding phones that did basic text and nothing more. No idea how things work now.

Come to think of it, I believe the last time I tried having a resident friend buy me a prepaid phone I was told they no longer offer such things. But I do start drinking at noon while in Japan so reality is often fleeting.

I believe the last time I tried having a resident friend buy me a prepaid phone I was told they no longer offer such things.
Yeah, that has not been an option since they shut down the 2G network. I think like six or seven years ago.

Reactions: DireWolf98
Yeah, that has not been an option since they shut down the 2G network. I think like six or seven years ago.

Also some people might consider it illegal to register phones to other people.

Because like, it's illegal.

Reactions: Sudsy
Also some people might consider it illegal to register phones to other people.

Because like, it's illegal.

And not just a little. You can get a prison sentence of up to ten years for it.