I kinda like Trump's Executive Order on Religious Freedom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Try understanding that others see things differently and they too may have a point.

I've seen that point of view, and even lived as an Evangelical Christian.

Many are very sweet, kind and gentle people. My own grandmother is perhaps the sweetest person I've ever known and viewed the world through an Evangelical lens.

That said, there is an extreme amount of intolerance and bigotry within the Evangelical movement.

It is often disguised and rationalized as following the word of their god.

They have a point on homosexuality that isn't valid.

Do you think their point is valid?

Again, I simply defend the right to practice their religion. Nothing more nothing less.

How noble of you.

I take that as you being okay with using a biblical passage as justification to discriminate against homosexuals.

Here is a hypothetical situation that I'd like your opinion and commentary on.

Let's say there is a church in Missouri that views modern Talmudic Rabbinical Judaism as directly descending from the Pharisees who Jesus often criticized in the New Testament.

Not that far fetched since there are many theologians who think as much.

There are numerous passages but most notably is Matthew 21:12 when Jesus entered the Temple and overturned the tables of the money changers and railed against the Pharisees.

Our church in Missouri has a congregation of 700 people and the pastor tells them they must not do business with the Jews and delivers a powerful sermon citing Matthew 21:12 the biblical source.

Not that there are a lot of Jews in Missouri, but parishioners start turning always Jews and it soon receives national media attention.

Members of a Pope Pious X church in New Jersey hear about this and adopt the teaching of that sermon as their religious practice. The Pope Pious X church has a congregation of several thousand people in Newark, New Jersey.

Now there are Jews being turned away from businesses by people claiming to be doing nothing more than practicing their religion.

Forget about the fact that three quarters of them never step one foot inside a church, they just don't like Jews and now have "religious freedom" topcover to stick it to them.

Still feel the same way? Still going to protect their right to practice their religion, nothing more, nothing less?

Are you even going to wonder how sincere these Christians are about following the teachings of a sermon they heard?

Will you think that they are just using some bullshit concocted excuse to discriminate against Jews, or will you trot out the American flag and extol the vitures of The Constitution in the same way?

Last edited:
I take that as you being okay with using a biblical passage as justification to discriminate against homosexuals.

As I've made clear, that is not the position I hold. Putting words in someone else's mouth isn't a good argument strategy.

Here is a hypothetical situation that I'd like your opinion and commentary on.

Jews arent that interested in Christian theology. None of those hypotheticals mean anything to me.

Now there are Jews being turned away from businesses by people claiming to be doing nothing more than practicing their religion.

Been there, done that. You probably don't want to go any further with this line. We've had a few thousand years of dealing with this nonsense.

Still feel the same way? Still going to protect their right to practice their religion, nothing more, nothing less?

Yep. With all my heart and mind.

Are you even going to wonder how sincere these Christians are about following the teachings of a sermon they heard?

None of my business. As some Jew once said "judge not lest you be judged" ;)

Reactions: Jbagz
I gave you a like on that post because the last line made me laugh out loud.

However, I'm done with discussing this with you.

I can't help but to put words in your mouth because you are being coy, slippery and I suspect intellectually dishonest.

No worries, I had fun batting it back and forth with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.