I O S 10

RickyJ

TAG Member
Reaction score
So Apple just released their new iOS 10 and I spent almost 2 hours to get the damn thing up and running.

So far, so good. People back in the US had problems with it but Apple was quick to remedy the issue.

I understand that there's currenty an active thread regarding the iPhone 7 but here's my question to everyone:

If you have the latest Iphone(6?) with the A9 Chip, would you still get the new iPhone considering that your current one can still support the iOS overhaul?

If yes/ or No, then why?

I would love to hear feed back on what people think about this.

The only reason I would actually get a new phone is for the NFC update that allows Apple Pay to work in Japan -- and most importantly, SUICA/IC Card Train Gates.

As for iOS 10 -- I have the first generation iPhone 6, so it should work fine but I don't do early adoption. I will usually wait awhile for the dust to settle and at least one iOS patch release later. For the iPhone 7, I'll also wait until the dust settles...

For quick reference, here are the supported devices that can run iOS 10:

iPhone:
  • iPhone 7
  • iPhone 7 Plus
  • iPhone 6s
  • iPhone 6s Plus
  • iPhone 6
  • iPhone 6 Plus
  • iPhone SE
  • iPhone 5s
  • iPhone 5c
  • iPhone 5

iPad:
  • iPad Pro 12.9-inch
  • iPad Pro 9.7-inch
  • iPad Air 2
  • iPad Air
  • iPad 4th generation
  • iPad mini 4
  • iPad mini 3
  • iPad mini 2
iPod Touch:
  • iPod touch 6th generation

The only reason I would actually get a new phone is for the NFC update that allows Apple Pay to work in Japan -- and most importantly, SUICA/IC Card Train Gates.

As for iOS 10 -- I have the first generation iPhone 6, so it should work fine but I don't do early adoption. I will usually wait awhile for the dust to settle and at least one iOS patch release later. For the iPhone 7, I'll also wait until the dust settles...

For quick reference, here are the supported devices that can run iOS 10:

iPhone:
  • iPhone 7
  • iPhone 7 Plus
  • iPhone 6s
  • iPhone 6s Plus
  • iPhone 6
  • iPhone 6 Plus
  • iPhone SE
  • iPhone 5s
  • iPhone 5c
  • iPhone 5

iPad:
  • iPad Pro 12.9-inch
  • iPad Pro 9.7-inch
  • iPad Air 2
  • iPad Air
  • iPad 4th generation
  • iPad mini 4
  • iPad mini 3
  • iPad mini 2
iPod Touch:
  • iPod touch 6th generation
Thanks for the additional info!

I remember you saying something about the NFC update which would be very convenient.

I would agree on waiting for the dust to settle as well. I was never quick to jump in line to get the latest and greatest anyway. So for now, until my phone craps out on me, I'll be using my 6 till' then.

Reactions: TAG Manager
If you gonna buy a iphone 7 you are way better off waiting for the 7s that have been rumored to have 0Led screen.

I didnt know about that... though I anticipated an "S" version and still waiting kn what bells or whistles theyre going to add next

Saw a report this morning about iOS 10 and TMobile customers in the U.S. - seems like a good idea to hold off on iOS 10 for awhile.

http://www.apple.com/jp/apple-pay/getting-started/

If you scroll down to the bottom for the table, you can see a combination of Apple devices that will work with the transit, starting with SUICA (JR East). You don't necessarily need a iPhone 7 (Japan model) if you get a Apple Watch Series 2 (Japan model), but until someone tries, we won't know for sure. Someone else on another forum I visit is saying they will be the guinea pig and test the scenario. If I do see a report, I will report back.

Yeah, looks like I'll need to get a 7.