Guest viewing is limited

Is there such a thing as too much omiyage?

hawaiianhawk

TAG Member
Reaction score
Usually when I visit Japan, I bring omiyage for friends I've [Redacted #91] during the past 2 years.
Being from Hawaii, we are usually generous with our gifts and think nothing about the amount. I will usually bring Kona coffee, macadamia nuts, powdered fruit drinks, sweet colored popcorn, rum cake, etc. and place these items in a small cooler type bag with Hawaiian floral print and give a bag to each friend.

Is this overdoing it? I'm just wondering because I get comments like "Arigato gozaimasu, all my favorites, but so much goodies" or "Arigato, but you are too generous." Are they saying in a polite manner that they appreciate it, but its too much omiyage for one person to receive? Or is it they are happy with the gifts, but feel somewhat guilty because they cannot financially reciprocate? I've often taken them to dine and picked up the bill and they have often done the same for me.

Should I scale back on the amount given per person? Any advice is appreciated.

Japanese people often feel obliged to reciprocate when they receive gifts, so it's not good to go over the top - You want something that appears to be an appropriate expression of thanks or friendship but not so "generous," that you start an arms race. Something modest but thoughtful and beautifully packaged (even something that did't cost much - like some homemade cookies) is most likely easier to receive than a no-expense spared comfort package containing everything under the sun.

With regard to the choices you made, I doubt that many Japanese people are interested in powdered drinks and colored popcorn from Hawaii - unless there's something about the branding that seems typically Hawaiian. If you happen to know that your Japanese friends appreciate those delicacies, then go for it. But I think most Japanese people find American treats like that to be over-sweetened. (If you doubt this, offer your American friends some traditional Japanese dango, manju, and other wagashi ... For the American palate, Japanese sweets probably lack sugar, although I suppose they might be better accepted these days since Japanese food has become so highly regarded). Macadamia nuts seem to be popular, and I guess they scream Hawaii, so Japanese people often bring them back as omiyage. Personally, I dislike the waxy crunch and the blandness of them. I feel like I'm chewing candles, but that's just my taste. Kona coffee strikes me as a good choice if your friends like coffee, with the added advantage that it's easy to pack.

Last edited:
It's less the amount and more the fact that they are 'on your list'. You may already know this, but Japanese travel agencies often let people pick their omiyage before they go on a trip, and deliver it to their house when they get home so they don't have to carry it. I agree with chaztagster ('arms race' is particularly on point) and also about how some of those gifts might not be too interesting/tasty to Japanese. Another option is chocolate covered Macadamia nuts.

Wow, for 1 person!!!???

You're "God" to that person! (╹◡╹)

Japanese people, friends do appreciate gifts from

such a beautiful country of yours, but sounds like

you get full of 1 ton truck of goodies!

Are you getting as much in return? Or do you feel

like, you're not getting much from your friend?

I think that also matters.

In my office, my colleague gives me sweets

unexpectedly and I give her sometimes, as well. But there are some types that I never get returned.

Although I give her seldom.

It's funny people can be so different.

Back to your question, if you're not getting ANY back from your friend, I think that might give you an idea, they are overwhelmed.

Macadamia nuts from Hawaii are so commonplace in Japan now they don’t make for good omiyage anymore. You can buy them at, Aeon, Kaldi, Donki and numerous other places for 500 yen.

It is a case of unintended consequences - the macadamia barons have flooded Japan with macadamia nuts so the price has gone down and they can’t be marketed as a premium product anymore and fewer people buy them in Hawaii.

Hawaii does some decent cookies on offer though.

Based on what you describe I honestly think you overdo it , yes.

Reactions: chaztagster
I've often wondered about this. Is it shameful for a Japanese person if they cannot reciprocate your generosity? I wouldn't want my gifts to shame anyone.

Reactions: AliceInWonderland
I've often wondered about this. Is it shameful for a Japanese person if they cannot reciprocate your generosity? I wouldn't want my gifts to shame anyone.
Shame seems like a strong word. Maybe embarrassed would be closer. Or maybe the recipient will just think that you’re a socially inept ass.
It’s rather hard to understand the whole gift giving thing or to describe all the whys and wherefores. There are lots of cases where Japanese people receive gifts and favors that aren’t fully reciprocated - A culture of dependency can become established in many relationships.
Gift reciprocation is one of the traditions that lubricates interaction. If you want to get formal about it, there are complicated rules that vary by region and circumstances. One family that I knew very well got mixed up in all sorts of awkwardness because of their lackadaisical approach to the gift money that they received when an elderly member of the family died. Relatives from Tokyo had certain expectations about receiving return gifts of a certain value, other relatives from arch-traditional regions (e.g. Sado) had different expectations. Nobody directly explained things to the young, bereaved folks. Instead, they were left to work out their mistakes from the half-muttered hints and snide asides that slowly filtered through to them on the grapevine.
Basically the whole gift giving thing is a minefield for anyone who wants to fit in. If you are a hairy, white skinned, devil, you should thank your lucky stars that nobody expects you to develop the cultural sensitivity to master it.

That's exactly why I don't give a fuck to the whole omiyage culture.
I never buy presents while traveling and nobody complains about it.
My Japanese girlfriends always did feel obliged to do otherwise.

... If you are a hairy, white skinned, devil, you should thank your lucky stars that nobody expects you to develop the cultural sensitivity to master it.

Reactions: cabbie
Thats super sweet but i think just some cookies or nuts or coffee would be enough unless they told you specifically which Hawaiian things they are crazy about.
The appreciation will still be there and the pressure to give back and the difficulty to take it home not so much. And its easier for you to travel. But if you enjoy doing this a lot I wouldn’t stop it unless you are making them clearly uncomfortable.
I know it’s hard to read with Japanese people. On one hand they could be trying to hint to you that it’s really too much, but on the other hard they could also just be humbling themselves saying “oh you don’t have to do that!” While actually enjoying the gifts.

I’m a Mediterranean person (our omiyage traditions are very similar) who has spent nearly 100.000 yen on omiyage in my recent trip. Mostly cosmetics for the ladies in my family and my BFF. I must say I didn’t make this purchase for the sake of buying Omiyage but I talked to each family member and friend about their needs to deliver the perfect present box. They deserve the best and I simply can’t go home without a baggage full of presents, it’s inappropriate for someone from my culture.

So.. yeah macadamia nuts are not a big deal :)

Japanese are quite polite and they will seem like they’re protesting it but they appreciate the favor. I’ve brought pretty expensive Omiyage for my Japanese dentist in the past because he saved me from a lot of trouble. Thanks to him I can sumairu without toraburu.

Last edited:
Macadamia nuts from Hawaii are so commonplace in Japan now they don’t make for good omiyage anymore. You can buy them at, Aeon, Kaldi, Donki and numerous other places for 500 yen.

It is a case of unintended consequences - the macadamia barons have flooded Japan with macadamia nuts so the price has gone down and they can’t be marketed as a premium product anymore and fewer people buy them in Hawaii.

Hawaii does some decent cookies on offer though.

Honolulu Cookie Company and Big Island Cookies are what I’ve been taking to Japan lately. :)
Been trying to find a good omiyage that represents each island, but so far haven’t found anything for Maui, Kauai, Lanai & Molokai yet;)

Whenever we visit Tokyo, there are several companies (small offices with staffs of probably less than 20) that we are vendors for and I never know how much of an omiyage to bring.

Basically the whole gift giving thing is a minefield for anyone who wants to fit in. If you are a hairy, white skinned, devil, you should thank your lucky stars that nobody expects you to develop the cultural sensitivity to master it.

This and not having to know keigo are perks of being a foreigner in Japan. Take advantage of it. Why try so hard to fit in when you'll never truly fit in?

For me, tea always works as good omiyage. While Japanese green tea is very well known, the country doesn't have major tea brand for black tea (and herbal and fruit tea). Any foreign-labeled tea seems to be appreciated even if it is not famous brand (such as Fortnam Mason, Harvey Nichols, Harney and sons, TWG). A colleague of mine always buys some Ahmad Tea at a supermarket for omiyage when visiting Japan.

Honolulu Cookie Company and Big Island Cookies are what I’ve been taking to Japan lately. :)
Those are my go to omiyage items but I want to find something different but not sure what yet. I was thinking it’s boring for me to give the same cookies every time. (n)

Been trying to find a good omiyage that represents each island, but so far haven’t found anything for Maui, Kauai, Lanai & Molokai yet;)
The only thing I can think of representing Molokai is hot bread from Kanemitsu bakery early in the morning but I’m not sure how a loaf of bread will come off being given as omiyage.