Guest viewing is limited

Ishikawa 7.5 Earthquake

boogermachine

TAG Member
Reaction score
Is everyone in Japan alright?

When the news first broke out, admittedly I first thought it was a nothingburger. But as more reports come in it looks serious. Of all the places in Japan I haven't been there plus Shikoku.

I had a really good time visiting Kanazawa during the pandemic. I hope the lovely businesses I visited are alright, although I don’t even know if they survived the whole pandemic in the first place.

This is sure a distressing way for Japan to kick off the new year.

I didn’t feel the earthquake though and confirmed with friends in other parts of Japan that they and their families are fine.

Reactions: Cinnabums and grunt
Sadly, a Japanese coast guard plane that was about to fly to the disaster area was involved in a collision with a passenger jet at Haneda tonight.

OK, what's for left 3rd day, Fuji-san exploding?

Reactions: SugoiBoy
This is definitely shaping up badly....

On the first day of New Year, Kishida gave to me
An earthquake that shook the country.

On the second day of New Year, Kishida gave to me
Two airplanes crashing
And an earthquake that shook the country.

Let's hope this pattern doesn't continue.

Reactions: MikeH
Bad news keeps on coming in, death toll up to 64 now and will probably rise in the coming days as more bodies are discovered:

https://www.asahi.com/ajw/articles/15101349

That still doesn't even count as bad news anymore, it was just as expected. And we are still in tens, it could have been way worse.

Still waiting for the next shit to hit the fan later today. North Korean missiles, anyone?

That still doesn't even count as bad news anymore, it was just as expected. And we are still in tens, it could have been way worse.

Still waiting for the next shit to hit the fan later today. North Korean missiles, anyone?

Don't jinx it. ;)

Soon as someone says - "Things couldn't possibly get worse",
Life goes - "Hold my beer"

Reactions: MikeH
The next thing has to be Godzilla, its the only natural way everything could be escalating.

Lots of damage! In some places, I doubt the current occupants will be able to rebuild. Some have already said they can’t afford to rebuild. Makes you wonder what it be like if that happened underneath Tokyo.

What’s the deal with the rating system in Japan? How was that earthquake only a 3? It registers as a 7 and a 7.6 with the rest of the world. Only a 3?

How about that apartment building that just toppled over in tact! Great engineering but too little attention to the foundation! They must have been a wild ride, like falling off an elephant, then realizing that the elephant soon will crush you! Double terror!

Anyone know how we can donate supplies? I am too lazy to research. 😂.

What’s the deal with the rating system in Japan? How was that earthquake only a 3? It registers as a 7 and a 7.6 with the rest of the world. Only a 3?
It was a three in Tokyo. A 7 in the Noto area.

FWIW 7 is the top end of the Japanese scale (large scale structural damage), which is based on actual effect, not magnitude of force.

FWIW 7 is the top end of the Japanese scale (large scale structural damage), which is based on actual effect, not magnitude of force.
Yeah, not how it was reported yesterday. It was declared a 3 in the affected area. Unless the news reporter or the Japanese was misunderstood, that’s how it was reported. I’ll now how to read Japanese newspapers to fact check NHK.

Thanks for the clarification Sudsy!

Reactions: Sudsy

I read the report again and it states that the intensity of 7 was an error. Intensity was reported from 1 to 4, but officially at 3. Does 7 mean total destruction and maximum death? In one area 90% of the homes are supposedly destroyed or heavily damaged. I suppose that’s a 6. 😂

Anyways, this is a controversy that even international media is debating.

I read the report again and it states that the intensity of 7 was an error. Intensity was reported from 1 to 4, but officially at 3. Does 7 mean total destruction and maximum death? In one area 90% of the homes are supposedly destroyed or heavily damaged. I suppose that’s a 6. 😂

Anyways, this is a controversy that even international media is debating.
JMA had it as a 7 for sure. Nagano was a 5+....

They were incorrect, and the one that hit just after 11PM really was a 3.

This is in contrast to the one that hit around 4:30PM, which really was a 7.

They initially reported one of the aftershocks as being the same as the main quake, but then quickly retracted that because it was wrong. That's what the English article is about.

https://www.asahi.com/sp/articles/ASS1241JDS11UTIL01R.html is the first article to come up in Google about it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jimmy Chu1969
Ah, there's the confusion. That was in reference to an aftershock (11:05 p.m.) about 7 hours AFTER the big quake (4:10 PM).

Now this makes more sense! In my mind, it was a 7, and from watching the videos and listening to the survivors, it was a 7. Feel bad for some of the old men that lost their wives. One guy said he went a full 24 hours without food or water. He didn’t say how long he was trapped, but his wife died in the hospital.

For the ones wondering how to donate, The Japan TImes has an article that compiled some of the institutions that accept donations:

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2024/01/06/japan/ishikawa-earthquake-donations/

I was there the week in happened. The most affected communities are Wajima, Suzu and to some extend Noto.

A lot of older houses/machiyas have collapsed and entire parts of Suzu have been wiped out of the map.
I seriously doubt that the people that survived the collapse of their houses will come back to this area.
I do think the death toll will keep rising unfortunately.

Reactions: SugoiBoy and Sudsy